Saturday 05/22/21 PDPP - Providence to Duxbury to Plymouth to Providence

Ted Shwartz

May 11, 2021, 9:00:04 AM5/11/21
to New England Randonneurs
Hello NERds

On Saturday 05/22/21 will be the first running of PDDP. This ride was a training ride for me to get ready for PBP. Internally I think of this as the “Ride of the Heretics - with a side of Pastry”.

The Heretics part of the ride is the P_PP part. The first and last P’s are for Roger Williams who got thrown own out of Plymouth colony, for being a heretic, and founded RI. The ride starts at Roger Williams Landing. The middle P stands for the Plymouth, where the Pilgrims landed after being thrown out England for being heretics.

The Pastry part of the ride is “D” for Duxbury where the French Memories bakery is the control. It is a fine cafe, and sometimes they make Paris-Brest pastries, which should be on every brevet.

I am looking forward to to seeing old friends and new friends on 5/22/21 for the first RI brevet since 2019.

Registration for the ride: https://www.bikereg.com/pdpp

All the best
--------------
Ted Shwartz
508-951-0349

Charles Coldwell

May 11, 2021, 10:23:22 AM5/11/21
to New England Randonneurs
We have all learned in school that the Pilgrims fled religious persecution in England to found the colonies in North America. The truth is more nuanced: they were really fleeing religious tolerance in Holland.

Before coming to the New World, they left England and settled in the Netherlands, because the Dutch practiced religious tolerance. After arriving in Holland, much to their horror the Pilgrims discovered that they would be expected to tolerate other religions, too; this was completely antithetical to their Puritan principles (principles that included burning witches, etc). Hence the flight to the wilderness in North America, where the resident infidels were quickly dispatched with a dose of smallpox.

Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

Charles Coldwell

May 11, 2021, 10:23:46 AM5/11/21
to New England Randonneurs

Si little

May 11, 2021, 9:17:17 PM5/11/21
to New England Randonneurs
The Basque and British fishermen brought European diseases well before the Pilgrims. King Phillip’s War was a result of the rebounding indigenous peoples’ numbers. The decimated populations in 1620 allowed the Pilgrims and later Puritans to gain a foothold.  Jus’ sayin’