Six Gaps

Charles Coldwell

May 17, 2022, 7:40:41 AM5/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
A small group of us had a great time doing the six gaps permanent last year on July 24th. The topic of a reprise came up in conversations during the 200K/300K last Saturday. As luck would have it, the corresponding weekend (July 23rd) is wide open for me this year, but I'm open to other dates if that embiggens(1) the group.

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC
Belmont, Massachusetts, New England

Jas Dembinski

May 17, 2022, 12:16:27 PM5/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
As far as I know all 6 Gaps are open for cyclists, but, that said, here is the link to my main source of information on road closures, etc., in VT: https://newengland511.org.  I have not scanned the VT map for information on the 6 Gap Route this year.

Also, I am happily providing 6 Gap shirts (see attached) to all who succeed in the ride with your result published in your RUSA member results.  I'm at jp...@sover.net.  Let me know!

Also, don't worry about wearing out this shirt as I will let you swap for a new one.

Finally, I have attached a picture Dave Cain provided (of Nancy Turner and their dogs) on a hike up the Lincoln Gap in April.  It gives a good sense of the pitch and difficulty of riding this particular gap.

Very best to all who venture on the ride, along with Chip this year.  You are welcome to camp out with us before and/or after the ride with advance notice: 2802 Cox District Road, Woodstock, VT.

Bon Courage!

Jan
En route up Lincoln Gap, VT.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 9.40.27 AM.png

Nicholas Seifert

May 17, 2022, 12:24:15 PM5/17/22
to Jan Dembinski, New England Randonneurs
Is this the correct RWGPS route for this route?

I may be game for this in July, keep me in the loop!

(though prefer my paved/gravel ratio more like this:
😁)
Nick

Jas Dembinski

May 17, 2022, 4:16:03 PM5/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
Yes, that's it.  Be sure to submit the waiver before the ride for RUSA accreditation.

jvl...@gmail.com

May 17, 2022, 10:49:26 PM5/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
I'm interested!

Mike A

May 18, 2022, 7:30:47 AM5/18/22
to New England Randonneurs
Thanks, Chip, for getting the ball rolling this year. That weekend is good for me too but open to others as well in the interest of embiggening.
Thanks Jan for again offering a spectacular camp space. I do plan to camp again this year!

A nod to Nick- I have pinned that Dirty Gaps route and definitely want to check it out at some point.

Mike

Charles Coldwell

May 18, 2022, 9:13:09 AM5/18/22
to New England Randonneurs
Slap a couple of controls on the Dirty Gaps and submit it for approval as a permanent? I think the RUSA gravel program gives you extra time on the dirt.

Charles Coldwell

May 18, 2022, 9:31:35 AM5/18/22
to New England Randonneurs
So let's declare July 23rd the official Six Gaps Perm Day of 2022; I think we have as much of a consensus as possible. Last year I bicycled up from home on Friday and back on Sunday and spent the two nights with Jinny at Four Springs Farm (https://www.fourspringsfarm.com/https://goo.gl/maps/1aYMwdS4pnoXXpAs6). You can find her on AirBNB. I plan to do the same this year.

I'm not much of a gravel guy (my bike handling skills suck), so I'm going to stick to the pavement insofar as possible. On this route, it is not always possible. But if others want to ride the Dirty Gaps I encourage you to decorate it with some controls and submit it to RUSA for permanent status; there should be plenty of time to get it approved before July 23rd.

We had a post-perm dinner at the Worthy Burger in Royalton (https://goo.gl/maps/P5URJ7QmKfdAvS5H7); that worked out well.

Sarah B.

May 19, 2022, 10:46:16 PM5/19/22
to New England Randonneurs
The gravel timing right now is for calendar events only, for what that's worth.  But more permanents are always good!

Sarah

Andrew LaMarche

Jul 5, 2022, 10:47:01 PM7/5/22
to New England Randonneurs

For what it's worth, I did the first 4 gaps and Roxbury today (turned around at the top of Lincoln and cut through Warren) sticking to the route as much as possible. Ran out of time (and stamina) to do the app gap, but the route looked great. They're doing 2 miles of road work (1 lane in 3 sections) between miles 40-50 (I think) but it was well-managed and wasn't problematic at all.

I'm also going to try to make the 23rd for the full route - should work for me.

Mike A

Jul 6, 2022, 7:59:01 AM7/6/22
to New England Randonneurs
Excellent. All local intel on roadwork appreciated. Probably worth checking the road closure site Jan linked above too.

So Sat July 23- a little over two weeks. My weather app is not reliable that far out but in the rando spirit I do plan to be there regardless.
Let's go with a 6 am start, which worked for us last year. Reminder to register for the perms program on RUSA, and then register for the ride, if you want RUSA perm credit. There is parking and, as I recall, bathroom facilities at the start site. My understanding is that Jan is away and not able to host campers in his field this year. The place Chip used last year in Royalton looks nice and has camping and primitive cabins. I think it is this place https://www.fourspringsfarm.com/campground.php
I will either do that or use a nearby park and ride and sleep in back of my mid size SUV, which, though not exactly van life, is pretty comfortable.

Mike

Charles Coldwell

Jul 6, 2022, 12:50:37 PM7/6/22
to New England Randonneurs
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it this year; I'm still recovering from a pretty bad crash on May 21. It would, at least, be a violation of doctor's orders (albeit not this first).

Four Springs Farm was great. I have a reservation there, which I would gladly pass on if I can't make it.

Mike A

Jul 8, 2022, 8:56:41 AM7/8/22
to New England Randonneurs
Chip- sorry to hear about your crash. Wishes for fast and complete healing.

To amend my earlier remarks on possible sleep location- I meant rest area and not park and ride. Some of these are pretty nice. The Sharon one even has a website. Sleeping is allowed -sort of what they are for - as long as you are not "camping".  I'll do this or the Four Springs, though I am curious to field test my sleep setup.

Mike

jvl...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2022, 8:13:22 AM7/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
Mike,

If you're using a rest area let me know.  I also intend to car camp Friday night.

Best,

Jacob

Charles Coldwell

Jul 17, 2022, 9:43:07 AM7/17/22
to jvl...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs
I’ve made up my mind to join the attempt (unless the weather turns apocalyptic). Haven’t decided yet whether I’ll drive or ride to the start. Leaning towards riding (with the same weather caveat).

Charles Coldwell

Jul 17, 2022, 3:28:04 PM7/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
Another thing that worked well last year was a post ride dinner in Royalton at the Worthy Burger https://goo.gl/maps/ujzhuCMWaToo9xkZA.

They had outdoor seating for the Covid cautious (or merely stinky after a long ride).

Mike A

Jul 17, 2022, 6:08:29 PM7/17/22
to New England Randonneurs
Great you are going to join us Chip. And yes- I think Worthy Burger is in order again this year.

Jacob- Will probably do the rest area. Can confirm in the next couple of days. I am considering Sharon rest area.

Mike

Mike A

Jul 21, 2022, 8:49:34 AM7/21/22
to New England Randonneurs
Just as a follow up on sleeping arrangements. I scoped out the parking at Sharon rest area on google street view, and while the back parking row is well behind the welcome center and far distant from the highway, and backing up to woods- ideal, really- there is a sign posted right there "Prohibited: Overnight camping..." This gives me pause. There is a gray area between camping and sleeping and no one defines camping clearly. Rest areas are for sleeping among other things. But if the sign had just prohibited camping that would be more clear.  With the emphasis on "overnight" they seem to be discouraging overnight sleeping; maybe more so with the rise of van life. Could be okay but I want to respect the intention here, get uninterrupted sleep, not to mention that I plan to at least boil water for coffee in the morning, which may start to look like camping. So I've decided to get a proper place; probably a tent site at the Four Springs where Chip is staying if they have room there.

Regarding the ride,
It looks to be a bit hotter than we would have liked, but with some cloud cover. In the spirit of one person's definition of randonneuring "... riding any distance comfortably...",  I plan to do a fair amount of weaving on Lincoln Gap, or even walking, especially with a heavier bike than last year (yes I am already making excuses...). I may even be inclined to jump in the water at some point, somewhere.

Finally, Jan's t-shirts may be an added incentive for anyone on the fence. I think the route profile is especially cool. And the green (what else?) color. See you Saturday!

IMG_2918.JPG

Andrew LaMarche

Jul 21, 2022, 12:51:35 PM7/21/22
to New England Randonneurs
See you all at 6AM! Gonna be a hot one.

Jacob Layer

Jul 21, 2022, 1:14:13 PM7/21/22
to andrew....@uconn.edu, New England Randonneurs
I'll be there. Mike,  I'm going to risk sleeping at the rest area.

Best,

Jacob

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "New England Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ne-randonneurs/e0b77429-1bd9-4cef-a328-f1ebbe86d60cn%40googlegroups.com.

Charles Coldwell

Jul 24, 2022, 12:23:21 PM7/24/22
to New England Randonneurs
We had a good group for the Six Gaps permanent on Saturday: seven started and all finished. Weather was good albeit warm in the afternoon. Maybe this level of interest would justify putting an official 200K on the calendar next year. Having made the suggestion, I suppose the burden is on my to organize it ….

John McClellan

Jul 24, 2022, 12:30:23 PM7/24/22
to Charles Coldwell, New England Randonneurs
I nominate Chip

John McClellan

Tsun Au Yeung

Jul 24, 2022, 12:43:36 PM7/24/22
to john-mc...@att.net, Charles Coldwell, New England Randonneurs
I will chime in here and suggest to coordinate your date with Jas next year to space this out with the Oh Canada 400km he plans to run the 2nd to or last weekend of July.
One thing that is good about doing this as a permanent is that one can adjust for forecasted inclement/wet weather.  If it is being done as a RUSA brevet, one has to pick the date 4 weeks in advance.
BR
Tsun

Sent from my iPhone