my first record of a Robin at a temperature below -15°C

Frederick W. Schueler

Jan 24, 2022, 10:22:16 AM1/24/22
to Eastern Ontario Natural History listserve
24 January 2022 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Oxford-on-Rideau:
Bishops Mills(Co Road 18/Mill St. intersection). (200m ard
intersection), 31B/13, 44.87246° N 75.70096° W TIME: 0900,0903-0910. AIR
TEMP: -29°C, sunny, Beaufort light air. HABITAT: streets in rural
village & surrounding fields, facing 30 Main Street-6 St Lawrence St.
OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. 2022/005/bb, Turdus migratorius (Robin)
(Bird). 1 calling, heard. calls from Buker Road spur. Still a modest
number of Malus 'crabapple' (Crab Apple) fruit on the tree here, and
some on the snow, suggesting that Birds are pecking at them.

Distant Corvus brachyrhynchos (Crow) calls, Cyanocitta cristata (Blue
Jay) 'jay' and 'tea-link' calls.

fred.
Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
NatureMatch concentration game - https://naturematch.ca/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
current newsletter -
https://clt1233162.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=1226356&c=12D10A&t=1&l=53EF5F10&

Aleta Karstad

Jan 24, 2022, 12:20:04 PM1/24/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
What kind of Robin call was this? A territorial song?

Aleta

On Jan 24, 2022, at 7:22 AM, Frederick W. Schueler <bck...@istar.ca> wrote:

> 24 January 2022 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Oxford-on-Rideau: Bishops Mills(Co Road 18/Mill St. intersection). (200m ard intersection), 31B/13, 44.87246° N 75.70096° W TIME: 0900,0903-0910. AIR TEMP: -29°C, sunny, Beaufort light air. HABITAT: streets in rural village & surrounding fields, facing 30 Main Street-6 St Lawrence St. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. 2022/005/bb, Turdus migratorius (Robin) (Bird). 1 calling, heard. calls from Buker Road spur. Still a modest number of Malus 'crabapple' (Crab Apple) fruit on the tree here, and some on the snow, suggesting that Birds are pecking at them.

Frederick W. Schueler

Jan 30, 2022, 8:08:07 PM1/30/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
* ...and at least this one, in the Crabapple and Honey Locust at Buker
Road, has survived - I've seen it twice since the -29°C event. I've also
heard distant calls from our land, which may or may not be the same
bird. Local facebook posts about the "first robin of spring" have
elicited several comments from others who have had Robins all winter.

fred.

On 24-Jan.-22 10:22 a.m., Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> 24 January 2022 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Oxford-on-Rideau:
> Bishops Mills(Co Road 18/Mill St. intersection). (200m ard
> intersection), 31B/13, 44.87246° N 75.70096° W TIME: 0900,0903-0910. AIR
> TEMP: -29°C, sunny, Beaufort light air. HABITAT: streets in rural
> village & surrounding fields, facing 30 Main Street-6 St Lawrence St.
> OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. 2022/005/bb, Turdus migratorius (Robin)
> (Bird). 1 calling, heard. calls from Buker Road spur. Still a modest
> number of Malus 'crabapple' (Crab Apple) fruit on the tree here, and
> some on the snow, suggesting that Birds are pecking at them.

Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
Kemptville Creek Anthem -
https://soundcloud.com/aletakarstad/kemptville-creek-anthem
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>
not very current newsletter -
https://clt1233162.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=1226356&c=12D10A&t=1&l=53EF5F10&

Stewart Hamill

Jan 31, 2022, 7:43:59 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 1/30/2022 8:08 PM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
several comments from others who have had Robins all winter.

As I've previously reported, I've had Robins consistently all winter here at Wolford Centre since 2002. This year is no exception, and temperature seems to be not an issue.

I wrote this in 2012: "Until the year 2000, Robins didn’t arrive until March (one year it was February). Since 2002, Robins have been here all winter. With some open water and berries for food, Robins no longer need to migrate, presumably due to less severe winters.

Now when you see a Robin in winter, it no longer means that spring is coming, it means that climate change is here."

On January 18 of this year we saw a flock of 110 Robins in a roadside swamp near North Augusta.

Now it is Bluebirds that are starting to overwinter in this area. I have 2 records of Bluebird small flocks so far this year.

Stew

Douglas Thompson

Jan 31, 2022, 7:54:17 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
We have had robins calling during the cold of the past few weeks.

V. Kirkwood

Jan 31, 2022, 9:22:29 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com

I have heard a Robin intermittently throughout this cold spell. It has been using its alarm call.

Valerie Kirkwood

Acton's Corners

---
Visit my fine art photography page at http://valerie-kirkwood.fineartamerica.com/

rmb...@istar.ca

Jan 31, 2022, 10:03:58 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
Haven't seen my little flock for about a week now. My brother in
Yarker saw a small flock a couple weeks ago, and a couple of redwing
blackbirds. He has lilac bushes all down the side of his yard, and a
lot of wild grapes. He was going to cut out the grape vines until he
saw a bunch of waxwings, and I told him to leave a bunch of them for
the birds. The crop of grapes was so thick this year that my sister
in law made a couple batches of grape jelly with plenty left for the
birds.

I should dig up a couple of those vines and see if I can get some
growing out here. Has anyone tried that? For years we yanked out all
the small sumacs that grew around the edges of the lawns, now that the
campground is no longer in operation I can let some things grow wild.

Rose-Marie

Rose-Marie
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/40680fdfe69c4677b71afab0cf9fe1da%40xplornet.ca.

Frederick W. Schueler

Jan 31, 2022, 10:27:18 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 31-Jan.-22 10:03 a.m., rmb...@istar.ca wrote:
> He has a lot of wild grapes.  He was going to cut out the grape vines until he saw a bunch of waxwings, and I told him to leave a bunch of them for the birds.  The crop of grapes was so thick this year that my sister in law made a couple batches of grape jelly with plenty left for the birds.
>
> I should dig up a couple of those vines and see if I can get some growing out here.  Has anyone tried that?

* certainly, around here and down to Ottawa lots of swathings of Grape
vines were black with fruit this fall, and this may have been what has
kept Robins around.

Our house has what the previous owners called a 'sunporch' which faces
NW, and so only attracts sunlight in the summer when it isn't helpful,
so we planted Grape vines along it for shade, and it is now swathed with
vines. While Robins love to nest in the vines they haven't borne a
single grape in the decade or so they have been there.

If I were to do it again, I'd select wild vines that had a generous crop
of big grapes, and that 'look like' hybrids between the wild Vitis
riparia, and some of the domestic Concord varieties.

fred.

Jim Beckett

Jan 31, 2022, 10:52:24 AM1/31/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
As others have noted, robins in winter have been a regular feature for the past several years. At present we have at least two working the crab apple and flowering cherry trees, here north of Mountain.
Jim

* ...and at least this one, in the Crabapple and Honey Locust at Buker Road, has survived - I've seen it twice since the -29°C event. I've also heard distant calls from our land, which may or may not be the same bird. Local facebook posts about the "first robin of spring" have elicited several comments from others who have had Robins all winter.

fred.

On 24-Jan.-22 10:22 a.m., Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> 24 January 2022 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Oxford-on-Rideau:
> Bishops Mills(Co Road 18/Mill St. intersection). (200m ard
> intersection), 31B/13, 44.87246° N 75.70096° W TIME: 0900,0903-0910.
> AIR
> TEMP: -29°C, sunny, Beaufort light air. HABITAT: streets in rural
> village & surrounding fields, facing 30 Main Street-6 St Lawrence St.
> OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. 2022/005/bb, Turdus migratorius
> (Robin) (Bird). 1 calling, heard. calls from Buker Road spur. Still a
> modest number of Malus 'crabapple' (Crab Apple) fruit on the tree
> here, and some on the snow, suggesting that Birds are pecking at them.

Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Fragile Inheritance Natural History Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMudpuppyNight%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C01be1a74b5a147590a7708d9e45624b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637791880912632963%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=85kVJivIiA6dynhFAIBxh%2BLOjshV7uo5lMxEccP5ob0%3D&amp;reserved=0
Kemptville Creek Anthem -
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Faletakarstad%2Fkemptville-creek-anthem&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C01be1a74b5a147590a7708d9e45624b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637791880912632963%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=3mqLPUU99vJ95O003XMK38Gc9ObYV%2Bl%2FMdMLbYAEojU%3D&amp;reserved=0
'Daily' Paintings - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkarstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C01be1a74b5a147590a7708d9e45624b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637791880912632963%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=5lCSXVQ4FJbhcamAtIzWS438LwQmM7BJbU96PTAeEck%3D&amp;reserved=0
6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156° N 75.70095° W
(613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca>
not very current newsletter -
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fclt1233162.bmetrack.com%2Fc%2Fv%3Fe%3D1226356%26c%3D12D10A%26t%3D1%26l%3D53EF5F10%26&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C01be1a74b5a147590a7708d9e45624b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637791880912632963%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=bJJssN2OjAfe4CfCLYcN3A%2FsAHdFYS91iWZn2bkm%2Fgk%3D&amp;reserved=0

Frederick W. Schueler

Feb 7, 2022, 2:03:18 PM2/7/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 30-Jan.-22 8:08 p.m., Frederick W. Schueler wrote:

> ...and at least this one, in the Crabapple and Honey Locust at Buker
> Road, has survived - I've seen it twice since the -29°C event.

* but I hadn't seen or heard it for the last few days, and just now I
found a depression in the snow in our backyard, with Cat tracks, a
scattering of Robin feathers (identified by texture and shape of wing
feathers - no red breast feathers), a gizzard, and a foot.

The gizzard contained Cathartic Buckthorn berries, which I had thought
had all fallen in the early winter.

For several years we'd had a burly big brownish Cat around, but over the
past year it (he?) seems to have been replaced by a burly big
orange-striped one.

fred.

Matt Keevil

Feb 7, 2022, 3:50:29 PM2/7/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
We still have some robins around but yesterday Amanda and I found some tracks and feathers that suggest that one of them was eaten by a weasel. We're not sure if the weasel scavenged it or actually caught it though.

Matt

Stewart Hamill

Feb 8, 2022, 7:49:00 AM2/8/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On the warm day above 0C last week (Feb 2, 2022) I drove the 10 km from
Wolford Centre to Merrickville.

The snow plow had exposed a strip of grass & gravel along the sides of
the County Road. Robins had gathered in flocks along that strip all
along my route.

In the 10 km I counted about 220 American Robins. That's about 20 Robins
per km, or 1 pair per 100 m if they were to spread out into local
territories.

Fortunately none were dead on the road, as Robins are not very
intelligent about which way to fly when disturbed.

Stew

Frederick W. Schueler

Feb 9, 2022, 5:10:12 PM2/9/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
* ditto Stew's observations along County Road 18 from County Road 20 to
just past Craig Road, this afternoon, though my estimate was about 1
Robin/100 m. Also about an equal number of Starlings, though in little
flocks, rather than spaced out along the roadside as the Robins mostly were.

fred.

rmb...@istar.ca

Feb 9, 2022, 6:48:44 PM2/9/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen "my" robins since my last report about a couple of
weeks ago, but I did have a little treat at the feeders today: a red
bellied woodpecker. I have never seen one here before. I'm hoping
that since she's found the feeders she'll stay around a while, but if
things are on the move she may be headed back north. My "happy girl"
moment of today.

Rose-Marie, north of Perth Road Village
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/naturelist/232d1bce-e3e1-1d36-26fe-5e6b4d9a4a5a%40istar.ca.

2578RedbellyWdpkx72.JPG

Stewart Hamill

Feb 10, 2022, 6:51:56 AM2/10/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/2022 6:48 PM, rmb...@istar.ca wrote:
> Red-bellied Woodpecker.  I have never seen one here before.  I'm
> hoping that since she's found the feeders she'll stay around a while,
> but if things are on the move she may be headed back north.

Note that Red-bellied Woodpecker is spreading from the south and
currently the range is not much farther north than where this one was
seen. They are being seen as far north as Ottawa.

This is another of those bird species gradually moving north (Carolina
Wren, Tufted Titmouse).

Stew

rmb...@istar.ca

Feb 10, 2022, 7:57:43 AM2/10/22
to natur...@googlegroups.com
If anything moves north I'm hoping it's the titmice and the
mockingbirds. Where I lived in Dayton, Ohio and Lutz, Florida
mockingbirds were common, I loved hearing their calls and watching
their antics. I used to whistle and imitate them, and they would make
their calls more and more complicated until I ended up laughing and
couldn't whistle. The pair behind the apartment in Dayton would
divebomb and tear into any cat that ventured through the yard.

Cardinals have spread, I remember when it was an event for one to be
seen in Kingston. I had as many as 4 pair of them at my feeders in
Glenburnie. A couple years ago on the spring bird count I found one
just a couple miles south of here. We had one male show up singing
for a couple weeks one springtime about 10 years ago, but having no
luck finding a female he moved on. They like a mix of field and
forest, and we mainly have forest with a small bit of open area.

It is feeling springlike today, going to be sloppy melt weather until
Saturday when the temps dip down again and remind us that winter's not
done with us quite yet. Lots of activity at the feeders this morning
but no red bellied woodpecker, it was probably just moving through.
I've noticed that my red breasted nuthatch has not been at the feeders
for a few days now, it was a regular darting in, grabbing a seed, then
back up to the big oak tree.

Rose-Marie