my.openhab open source?

Jens Kastensson

Feb 16, 2015, 8:15:03 AM2/16/15
to myop...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm interested to know if the my.openhab server & client source code is or is planned to be available publically? It would be nice to be able to deploy "my.own.openhab"
Are there plans for the my.openhab service and future development ?
Jens

Victor Belov

Feb 16, 2015, 8:16:29 AM2/16/15
to Jens Kastensson, myop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jens,

There is a plan to add bundle source into openHAB source tree.
There is no visible plan to open-source my.openhab.org though.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Victor Belov

Gert Konemann

Feb 16, 2015, 11:06:15 AM2/16/15
to myop...@googlegroups.com, jenskas...@gmail.com
Hi Victor,

Very good that there is a plan to open-source the binding. Can you indicate when ? If it is not soon, then it would be nice if the user could specify the delay which is used before a notification is sent that openHAB is offline. E.g. in openhab.cfg.
Why will my.openHAB.org not be open-sourced ? It would be nice to install that on my own external website, that would eliminate a handful of internet connections and enable  us to tune the uptime of the service to our needs.
I am curious to your view.

Gert Könemann
Nijmegen
the Netherlands

Petr Klus

Feb 17, 2015, 8:15:53 AM2/17/15
to myop...@googlegroups.com, jenskas...@gmail.com
I would be very interested in the same question. I understand there may be pieces of code and functionality you may not want to disclose - however, I think that if OH is a true open-source product, there should be the full-stack available. Otherwise it creates fragmentation - every EclipseSmartHome is then forced to start from scratch with their service which I believe is not helping the project at all.

My ideal scenario is to have a working version of OH bundle + service available to deploy to people's servers of choice, as well as the current my.openhab.org, for which I would be more than happy to pay for (and to have a FUP for notifications and all other TOCs needed).

Best,

Petr

Ed Osgood

Mar 25, 2015, 11:34:01 AM3/25/15
to myop...@googlegroups.com, jenskas...@gmail.com
I'm also interested in setup my own my.own.openhab.  I have a server that it could be loaded to.
When is the planned date for org.openhab.io.myopenhab-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT source to be released?
Is there a plan to release any part of my.openhab.org source.  Maybe enough to give hints as to how to develop our own version
(as you can't share all of the source)

Christian Glombek

Aug 2, 2015, 1:47:25 PM8/2/15
to my.openHAB
+1 to this! I totally agree with you guys. I don't want to rely on 3rd party services (like my.openhab.org), but rather run OpenHAB at home with my.openhab on my own server.
@KaiKreuzer & co, if you've already decided on this, please reconsider!

Michael Heckmann

Aug 3, 2015, 5:58:57 AM8/3/15
to my.openHAB
+1 from my side, too.

Petr Klus

Aug 3, 2015, 6:00:05 AM8/3/15
to my.openHAB
+1 here too..

Kai Kreuzer

Aug 3, 2015, 4:28:09 PM8/3/15
to my.openHAB
Hi,

I think the problem here is that my.openHAB is rather a piece of complex infrastructure than some source code.

The main feature that could be „duplicated“ within personal cloud-instances is the remote access. But this is nothing more than a reverse proxy and there are many ways you can easily realize this on your own - most securely probably using a VPN. my.openHAB is simply the service for the users who are NOT capable enough to setup their own VPN, DynDNS, etc.

Besides remote access, my.openHAB brings a commercial grade SSL certificate and does the integration with GCM, APN, IFTTT etc. - all of this is tight to this specific server and can not be moved to  private instances.

But I guess Victor can explain the problems best, if there is any doubt left.

So in short: We never want to make anybody dependent on a cloud service, that’s why most of our users are happily using openHAB without my.openHAB. It is really just a service to make life easier for users, who do not want to deal with the complexities of remote access, push notifications etc.

Best regards,
Kai

Message has been deleted

Christian Glombek

Aug 3, 2015, 9:56:15 PM8/3/15
to my.openHAB, k...@openhab.org
I think there would be a lot of value in it. With opensource IFTTT clones like Huginn you can make a lot of stuff happen on your own server (see github.com/cantino/huginn). I urge you to cut out all proprietary API and release it "as is" as a community project for us to work on!

Best regards
Christian

Am Montag, 3. August 2015 23:19:25 UTC+2 schrieb Victor Belov:
I fully agree with you. Publishing source code of myOH have zero value for users. Features we introduced there either duplicate openhab extensions making life easier for user, like notifications, or do what you can't do on per-user basis like IFTTT with openhab extensions.
If we all agree on that I will do a diplomatic answer.

Sent from my iPad