I'm Finally Home

Pro Boxing Dad

Aug 17, 2017, 12:24:47 AM8/17/17
to MyLifeOrganized
I am new to this application, and have used many GTD-apps (and variants thereof) beginning with 'To Do' Palm 1.0. ;-)
 I never realized how robust this application is. WOW!! Great job to your team.

My three most pressing needs are:

1. The ability to inherit contexts within views. i.e. If I create a view called Errands (WHERE Context Contains '@Errands') and when looking at that view I add a Task, I would like that task to inherit the @Errand context.

2. Add Task Name/Notes/Content to the iOS conditions. i.e. I can create views on the desktop based on a string that appears in the task name, notes, and/or content, and unsure why this is not available in the iOS app.

3. Chrome extension that allows the user to save the URL to the as a task (Ideally parse the web page title as Task Name and the URL in the Notes property.

Thanks!

Alyona (MLO Support)

Aug 17, 2017, 12:45:38 AM8/17/17
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you for your kind words! I have passed on them to our team.

Some default simple views like "Starred", "Projects", "Inbox" has the ability to inherit properties. But it is not possible to add this ability to other default and custom views due to their complexity. Still, we are considering possible solutions.

I have forwarded all your suggestions to the Product Owner. Thanks!

Dwight

Aug 21, 2017, 11:07:00 PM8/21/17
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi, Pro Boxing Dad. I can add a little to Alonya's answer. She speaks for MLO, I'm just a user like you.

It's true that you can't inherit categories from a view filter. In the simple case you described it would work, but consider this case: I have a context @CallsHome and @CallsWork. I have a view that filters on Context contains '@Calls'. If I created a task while in that view, MLO would have no idea whether to use @CallsWork versus @CallsHome. Other filters are worse than category: suppose you had a view showing tasks created yesterday and while viewing it, you created a new task. Would the new task show today or yesterday as the creation date?

Maybe there is a different way. If you don't have any errands embedded in projects, you could consider moving your errands to an "Errands" folder. The folder would have the @errands context assigned. The Errands view would be zoomed in (Ctrl+R) to the Errands folder. If you create a new task while in that view, it will be placed into the Errands folder and will inherit the @errands context from the folder.

_ _ _ _ _

Re your second point, I don't know anything about IOS but I can tell you how it works on Android, often it's similar. On Android, if you click the funnel icon, it brings up a screen where you can filter on a text string and specify if it will apply to title, notes and/or contexts.

For your third point, if you are using cloud sync you can set up something called tasks by email (TBE) where you get assigned an email address at mylifeorganized.net, and any email you send there shows up as a task, with the task title from the email subject, and the task note from the email body. Once you have that, all you need is a way to send an email out of your browser carrying web page title and URL. I don't know chrome but I bet there are a lot of available tools to do that. On Firefox I wrote my own, I cheated a shortcut linked to the following Javascript:
javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='+document.title+'%20&BODY='+escape(location.href);
This script requires you to type in a destination email address (the TBE address) but you could easily add that to the script.

-Dwight
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Nick Clark

Aug 23, 2017, 8:13:31 AM8/23/17
to MyLifeOrganized
Regarding the third point and the task by email functionality as suggested by Dwight, if you are using Chrome on iOS then it shares the URL in the body. Safari normally behaves the same, but if you are on a website that supports Reader mode (the three lines next to the URL) then it shares the URL and the body without the adverts! Still might not show very well in MLO as the notes are text only, but it's brilliant for Evernote and better than sharing direct to that.