[MLO] Using Siri to Add Reminders to MLO

bird...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 6:39:39 PM10/12/16
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
​As many MLO users with iPhones already know, it is pretty easy to use ​Siri to add reminders or notes to MLO.

Actually, it has been possible to do this for a long time, by having Siri send a email to your sync address. But, recently, I really increased my usage of this feature because Siri has recently become better at voice recognition.

With that said, what would raise it by several notches is if tasks created via email could be parsed, as is the case with the Rapid Entry box.

Comments, anyone?

Dwight Arthur

Oct 12, 2016, 9:39:04 PM10/12/16
to MyLifeOrganized
Parsing of Task By Email (TBE) tasks would be very useful, and not just to IOS users.

Btw, I wonder how you would dictate an MLO-PARABLE string, because it's generally unpronounceable. Would you spell it out letter by letter?

bird...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 12:06:28 AM10/13/16
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
One thing that Apple has, from what I can tell, improved upon is that they've made Siri more patient. She gives you more time to say what you want to say before cutting you off. Unfortunately, she is not patient enough to listen while you spell out something letter my letter,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Dwight Arthur <m...@dwightarthur.us> wrote:
Parsing of Task By Email (TBE) tasks would be very useful, and not just to IOS users.

Btw, I wonder how you would dictate an MLO-PARABLE string, because it's generally unpronounceable. Would you spell it out letter by letter?

Eddie
-------------------------------
Skype: major.bilion

Jonathan Davis

Oct 13, 2016, 12:26:33 PM10/13/16
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate on exactly how you do this? "Hey Siri send a mail to <task by mail address>"?

From: bird...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:38:17 -0700
Subject: [MLO] Using Siri to Add Reminders to MLO
To: mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

bird...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 12:40:06 PM10/13/16
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
​If you have ​set up the ability to input tasks via email, I recommend the following:

1) Give your email a unique name that Siri will easily recognize and not mix up with your apps, and other contacts etc. In my case, I say, "email to Pooba." Actually, that's not the name I use, but it gives you a sense of the principle.

2) State whatever your task is.

3) Once you pause, Siri will display the email containing your task in the subject line. If you're happy with just tap send.

4) Your task should appear in your MLO inbox in a few minutes.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Davis <lim...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you elaborate on exactly how you do this? "Hey Siri send a mail to <task by mail address>"?

cmsmi...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 3:33:43 AM1/24/17
to MyLifeOrganized
I've created a Workflow with Workflow.app to do this. Basically, you add reminders the normal way with Siri, like, "Remind me to post something about my life organized on Google Groups". This then adds the reminder to the built-in Reminders app.

I then open Workflow and run my "Reminders to MLO" workflow. This goes through all non-complete Reminders in the Inbox list, sends an email to my MLO email address for each with the Title of the Reminder, and then deletes the Reminders.

Works great!

Let me know if you want me to post the Workflow here to use.

Jonathan Davis

Jan 24, 2017, 6:37:10 AM1/24/17
to MyLifeOrganized

Would love to see that Workflow please 😊

Jan 24, 2017, 8:59:25 AM1/24/17
to MyLifeOrganized
Below is the Workflow link. You will have to change the From and To in the Send Email action. Also, you can adjust your Reminders list name in the Find Reminders action.

I have this set up as a Today Widget, but you can change that in the options of the workflow to be anything you want.

The way I use this is when I'm out and about I'll add things to my Reminders list and then when I get back to my desk, I run the workflow. After a couple of minutes, all of the Reminders are in my MLO Inbox :)

If you are savvy with the formatting of MLO email, you can make this Workflow do a lot more, like add due dates, contexts, etc. etc.

Jonathan Davis

Jan 24, 2017, 9:19:04 AM1/24/17
to MyLifeOrganized

Many thanks!

Sent: 24 January 2017 13:49

To: MyLifeOrganized

bird...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 11:09:22 AM1/24/17
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'd be very curious about whether there's a practical way to add due dates, context etc,

Here's an update on what I'm doing:

I currently use "Hey Siri" to send a task to MLO via email. I say, "Hey Siri, email to <my MLO email)>." And then I tell Siri what I want to say.

But MLO is not able to parse via email. It's not that big of a problem, though as I just go in there later and add parameters later on.

Most of the time, if I have a routine task such as, "remind me to charge my Fitbit at 2:00 PM, I route it by default to an app called "Alarmed!" and it parses it. Nothing more needs to be done. I prefer this approach for trivial tasks.

But for most work-related tasks, I either have Siri send an email to MLO or I text or voice it into my  "Drafts" app. Then when I get back to my desk, I go into MLO and just prioritize, add reminders, etc.

Thanks,
Eddie