How do you rapidly MOVE (into their corresponding PROJECTS) all the items that end up in your INBOX?

Mr. Analogy

Jul 3, 2013, 10:51:07 AM7/3/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
My favorite feature of MLO is the Rapid Task Entry. If I have an idea or remember "I've got to do this thing" or "oh, read this article" I toss it into the Inbox so I don't get DISTRACTED or sidetracked.

But then I end up with 100's of things in my inbox. Organizing those tasks and moving them into the appropriate PROJECT is quite time consuming:
  1.  Read the task, decide where it goes.
  2. Cut the task
  3. go to another tab and search for the project I'd like to put it in.
  4. Paste it.
  5. Later, come back to each project and organize the tasks assigned to that project.
That can take 30s or longer for each task.

Is there any other faster way to do this?

E.g., filtering on some keyword and then  move multiple items to a project?

Stéph

Jul 3, 2013, 3:34:54 PM7/3/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
You could try sending it straight to the project as you put it in the RTE dialogue.  Use the switch -toprj<Project_Name> at the end of your task entry.

Personally, I quite like to open another window using F3, then dragging groups of tasks from the inbox to the appropriate place in my outline.

You could always bookmark the main projects, to jump quickly to them when dragging a task from the F3 window.

I still find it a long task, whichever way I do it.

Stéphane

Clay Nichols

Jul 3, 2013, 3:49:23 PM7/3/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
The  F3 trick is nice. That helps a little.

The problem is that I have a LOT of projects (maybe 30 or so). So FINDING each one a little while.

Ahhh.... your F3 trick works great. I just need to reverse it: I put my INBOX in the separate window and my projects in the "main" window which has the search box. Perfect.

  Clay Nichols
  President
  Speech & Language Software
  http://www.BungalowSoftware.com
  Work: (540) 951-0623

David Rees

Jul 3, 2013, 5:39:54 PM7/3/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Lisa Stroyan

Jul 4, 2013, 12:26:11 PM7/4/13
to Group, MyLifeOrganized
If you want another option, I multi-select the tasks in my inbox tab that go into the same project, use control-M to bring up the move dialog, type the first few letters of my project name, and hit enter.

Lisa

Lisa Stroyan, mailto: lstr...@gmail.com

Clay Nichols

Jul 4, 2013, 12:49:42 PM7/4/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I was doing that for a while. Works fairly well.

For me, this is the WEAKEST area of MLO.

Joel Azaria

Jul 7, 2013, 1:08:22 AM7/7/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Not to mention the desktop doesn't have the option to ADD contexts when moving (an option that DOES exist on MLO-A) so I end up wasting even more time.  It makes me not want to bother sometimes adding contexts when putting things in Inbox but it's just not practical.  I NEED to context some of that stuff right away and then [apparently] I need to either propagate down contexts from the project parent or redo what I did when I Inbox'd it.

--
Lisa

Lisa Stroyan, mailto: ...@gmail.com

Richard C

Aug 4, 2013, 9:46:42 AM8/4/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I hashtag all my frequently used projects  (ie the task name is  <ProjectName><#projnam>   and then use the search.   The progressive matching that search offers works well.   And its also useful because the search results remain on view so if you navigate away from that project without finishing what you were doing, you can get back to it but clicking on the relevant row in the search results.

David Rees

Aug 6, 2013, 12:36:24 PM8/6/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Out of interest, why not use contexts with hot keys for this?

Salvador Bosque

Aug 7, 2013, 4:54:29 PM8/7/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
In iOS versions of mlo until now, there was a nice feature "Parent-move to" that made it possible to move very fast a task to any node within the mlo tree.

In Android this feature does not exist afaik and to my surprise this feature is supressed in latests iOS beta versions

The "move" mode with drag and drop is clearly not efficient with a large task tree

Which are the recommended methods to move tasks to other tree nodes in Android, iOS and windows other than drag&drop which is slow and inefficient?

Thanks

Salvador Bosque

Aug 7, 2013, 4:54:29 PM8/7/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Nick Clark

Aug 8, 2013, 6:05:12 PM8/8/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I use Cut and Paste from the long hold menu. Then choose Child or Sibling.

Nick

Salvador Bosque

Aug 12, 2013, 2:15:24 PM8/12/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
"Cut and paste" means:

Long press
Cut
Select view
Select task
Long press
Paste
Select child or sibling
Switch to original view

While the "move parent" feature in original iOS version is much more efficient:

Select desired task
Press "done"

@Andrey, is it possible to keep the "move to parent" feature present in original ios version both for android and ios?

Thanks

Mr. Analogy

Aug 12, 2013, 4:56:28 PM8/12/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
If I use Contexts, I can see how you use Hotkeys to ASSIGN a context (and then I have to *remember* all of those ;-( )

If I do that how do I DISPLAY the Tasks in that Context that are in my Inbox?

Mr. Analogy

Aug 12, 2013, 4:59:54 PM8/12/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I'm surprised this isn't built into the system, but your solution is the best I've seen so far.

-Clay

Stéph

Aug 17, 2013, 9:52:16 AM8/17/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Salvador.  I came across the same problem with the loss of the ability to change a task's parent in the new version for iPhone.  It's been posted on the beta-testers' JIRA forum (issue number 21) and Andrey has assigned it to himself for resolution, marked as high priority.

Regards,
Stéphane

Salvador Bosque

Aug 17, 2013, 1:58:24 PM8/17/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Stéphane

Is this feature planned only for iOS or also for Android?

Regards
Salvador

Stéph

Aug 23, 2013, 10:54:34 AM8/23/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
It's on the list for iOS, but Andrey will work his way round all the platforms to try to keep them working in a similar way, so any good ideas for iOS are bound to make it to Android too.... eventually.