Filter by Day Name (Monday, Tuesday, etc)

Patricio Carranza

Apr 24, 2022, 2:36:23 AM4/24/22
to MyLifeOrganized
hi guys!

is there any way to filter tasks by day name? (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc)...

thanks!

Patricio Carranza

Apr 28, 2022, 9:44:41 AM4/28/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Just in case, I'm referring to filter date fields (e.g. due date) by day name.

Stéph

Apr 28, 2022, 11:34:09 AM4/28/22
to MyLifeOrganized
You've got me there - The filters can do amazing stuff, if you dive into the advanced filter logic, but I can't think of a way of extracting day names. The closest I can get is selecting to group by date, which shows any entries over the coming week with the day name coded into each group title - but I take it that's not really what you're looking for.

The only other thing I can suggest, if you want certain weekly repeating actions to be shown by the day of the week on which you want to do them, is to use contexts, flags or text tags to assign a weekday to each task - however, that won't automate and keep the day name consistent with any date changes you make.

Stéphane

Dwight Arthur

Apr 29, 2022, 8:29:16 PM4/29/22
to MyLifeOrganized

This kind of thing generally requires a modulo or remainder function (divide the date by seven and take the remainder) which is unfortunately beyond the capability of the advanced filter.

This is clearly different from what you are asking for but maybe you might find it useful. You could create a context called "Monday" and in the "Hours" section of the context definition you could define that the context is open all day Monday and closed the rest of the week. Make another filter for Tuesday, etc. Then, on each day you will see the tasks configured for that day. you can make views that filter for context = Monday, or other days, or groups of days. It gets complicated if you have other contexts on these tasks in addition to the days of the week. In that case you could still filter for given days or groups of days but you might not be able to rely on the fact that every task not set for this day of the week will be hidden all day today. That's because context tests have an implied "or" - - if a task has contexts "Monday" and "phone" and if "phone" is always open then the task will be active every day of the week because "phone" is open.

Patricio Carranza

Apr 30, 2022, 6:11:51 AM4/30/22
to MyLifeOrganized
thanks Stéphane! always providing an answer, super appreciated!

I'm trying to mimic a calendar view, I'm finding really helpful to have a tab for each day of the week showing what tasks I have assigned to each day, gives me a rapid visual understanding on if I'm realistic on what I'm planning and also an order to execute stuff.

I know and agree that I can do a grouping by day but for some reason it's not quiet the same as going to a tab and directly seeing what has been scheduled/target for that day. Since I couldn't find a way to filter by 'Monday', 'Tuesday', etc for now I'm just doing a filter by today, today+1, today+2 on each tab, but that means tabs w/o day names or setting day name to one or two tabs (so I have a visual reference) and then updating the tab names for those days every day...

I also know I could rely on syncing up with Google Calendar, but again it's not quiet the same as I lose the ability to use all the filters that MLO app provides...

Probably a simple (?) enhancement request to consider for the future: Ability to filter dates by day name. @Andrey Tkachuk :-)

Patricio.

Patricio Carranza

Apr 30, 2022, 11:18:38 AM4/30/22
to MyLifeOrganized
thanks a lot Dwight!

Andrei, Win&Droid MLO user

May 1, 2022, 3:52:12 PM5/1/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi Patricio
Thank you for the idea to mimic the calendar view.
Best regards
Andrei

суббота, 30 апреля 2022 г. в 13:11:51 UTC+3, patricio...@gmail.com:

Radek Pilich

Jul 7, 2022, 7:47:01 AM7/7/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I like your idea with D+x day lists! Thanks for sharing, I am gonna try to use that :)