Sync warning: Too many changes!

natG

Mar 12, 2014, 11:43:17 AM3/12/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I am getting a warning on my desktop mlo that advises that there are too many changes and likely something went wrong.
I changed a few tasks on Android, then went to the desktop, and it warns that it is about to modify more than EIGHT HUNDRED tasks!
Of course something is wrong, but how do I proceed? Maybe my desktop file was archived? It didn't prompt me today for that.
I tried shutting mlo and restarting it to no avail.
I think I also changed stuff on the desktop as well.
My last sync was 2 hours ago which was fine and dandy.

Please advise asap.
Thanks
natG

Dwight Arthur

Mar 12, 2014, 6:02:27 PM3/12/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Nat.

There have been times when someone gets this error without there being any actual problem, so it’s okay to go ahead and sync. There are other times when it is the first clue of something serious happening, and gives you a chance to avoid serious data loss. I am not sure that this advice is perfect but you are looking for quick help so here it is:

DO NOT ALLOW ANY SYNCS TO PROCEED

Back up everything you can on both sides

Now, if you have an old backup you consider to be correct, restore it. Otherwise, examine your tasks on both sides, especially in areas where you have been working recently. Pick one side or the other to be the one you like best.

If you like the desktop profile best, create a new empty profile on your phone and open it, while opening the existing profile on the desktop

If you like the phone profile best, create a new empty profile on your desktop, while opening the existing profile on the phone

On the desktop, in File>Synchronization, create a new sync profile that uses a new cloud file in your existing cloud account. Run a sync.

On the phone, in Settings>synch, connect to the new cloud file you just made and run a sync.

Sync once more on the desktop. Done.

-Dwight

natG

Mar 12, 2014, 10:20:23 PM3/12/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
In the morning when this happened, I was freakin out and couldn't imagine myself going thru the tasks.
Now, after the day is over, I took the time to create a new sync profile as you described.
Thank you!
natG

Grant

Mar 14, 2014, 11:00:51 AM3/14/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I get this too once in a while, and in my case its usually something like adding a context to everything under my ' work'  tree.  I bet you would get the same if you changed the name of a context, etc.  Or there is the small chance you opened an older file (copy) on your PC, etc..

That being said, if I have any doubt, I do just what Dwight instructs, and it is pretty easy and quick to do, given the piece of mind it give you about not totally messing up everything.

Grant

Lisa Stroyan

Mar 15, 2014, 11:11:01 PM3/15/14
to Group, MyLifeOrganized
Every once in a while when I sort my Active Starred tasks (about 20) from Android I will get a warning upon next sync that I've modified 240 or so tasks. It's strange but I've taken to going ahead and allowing it to sync, and I don't see any discrepancies when I do.

However last month I had one that was much higher...tried to stop it from syncing, but it synced on exit anyway (I think...my memory is spotty but I posted exact steps to the beta forum). Somehow a bunch of old, deleted tasks came back. It's possible I screwed up and synced with an old cloud file, I guess. I restored from backup, installed a different (standard instead of beta) version on Android, and it was OK. Never finished tracking it down.

Do let us know if you figured out what happened!

Lisa

Lisa Stroyan, mailto: lstr...@gmail.com