How to change a task's project?

Foobarbaz

Apr 10, 2018, 1:55:11 AM4/10/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hello,

I just started to use MLO today. So far so good and I am enjoying it.

But when I create a task in Projects view... for example:

Projects
In Progress (2)
Build an App
subtask 1
subtask 2
Learn Java <- This is the task I just created

If later on I decide that "Learn Java" should be under "Build an App", I then move it under "Build an App". But the result will be like this:

Projects
In Progress (2)
Build an App
Learn Java <- Now it shows up in two places
sub task 1
sub task 2
Learn Java <- Now it shows up in two places

If I delete either of them, both are deleted. I believe (not sure) now "Learn Java" is a project itself, but also a sub-project of "Build an App"?
This is not what I wanted. I want to make it a subtask of "Build an App" and not a project itself.

How should I properly make "Learn Java" a subtask of "Build an App"?

Thank you.

Alyona (MLO Support)

Apr 10, 2018, 3:15:56 PM4/10/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, "Learn Java" is a project, otherwise it wouldn't be included into the group of "In Progress (2)" projects. To make sure, open its properties on the right. Also, each project is marked blue.

Now about why it's duplicated. In the "Projects" view all tasks marked as projects are listed recursively, therefore embedded projects will show up:

a) For the first time as a part of the parent project;

b) For the second time as an independent project.

To avoid confusion, in MLO-Windows bring up the "Filter" pane and click on "Config" in the "General" section. Remove a checkmark next to "Continue searching in branch after main filter match". In MLO-mobile open "Custom View Settings" for the "Projects" view and disable "Continue searching in branch". The smaller projects will be only shown once as parts of the main project.

Also, you may focus on the parent project (use "Zoom in") to work on the smaller projects.

Do not delete sub-projects in the "Projects" view since they are not duplicates. If you are not sure, feel free to check the whole structure in the Outline (the "All tasks" view).

Foobarbaz

Apr 11, 2018, 2:44:27 AM4/11/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I've found out the way.

It seems that in this situation, "Learn Java" is already a project and can't not be changed to a non-project anymore.

And... I just realize that I didn't make it clear in the last post. But what I really want is: I have subtasks under "Learn Java". I want to bring the whole thing ("Learn Java" and its children) into "Build an App".

The way I found out is: while it seems that I can't directly move "Learn Java" under "Build an App" (it'll result in what I mentioned above), instead I'll just create a new task under "Build an App" and then move all children of "Learn Java" into it.

Stéph

Apr 11, 2018, 3:59:05 PM4/11/18
to MyLifeOrganized
"Learn Java" is already a project and can't not be changed to a non-project anymore? I might be missing something, but that doesn't make sense to me. You should be able to uncheck "This is a project" in the "Project" group of the properties pane (right hand side of the window). Also the Project shortcut key (Alt-J) for me should toggle project status on and off. Either way, you should be able to stop if being a project, if that's what you want to do.

Foobarbaz

Apr 12, 2018, 1:12:44 AM4/12/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hello,

Thanks for your help :)
My problem is solved. I have found the "Is Project" you mentioned and successfully did what I want.

>>Learn Java" is already a project and can't not be changed to a non-project anymore?

This is written before I've seen your reply. Google forum seems to not show replies as soon as they are posted.

Stéph於 2018年4月12日星期四 UTC+8上午3時59分05秒寫道: