Project templates - what's the best approach?

Jan Onesork

Apr 10, 2018, 1:55:11 AM4/10/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hey guys,

I'd like to use some kind of project templates for projects that have always the same structure (=processes).

There are two possible approaches that I know of:

A) Keep my templates saved in a text file somewhere and paste it with the rapid task entry dialog. The template would have to use the proper syntax for input parsing.

B) Keep my templates saved in a different MLO file. I'd have to open the file with templates, copy the template to my clipboard, open my original file again, paste the template in the right place.

Option B) would be probably the most user friendly (no need to fiddle around with the input parsing syntax)

Which approach do you prefer? Or is there some other way I'm missing?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Stephen Jones

Apr 10, 2018, 2:41:32 AM4/10/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Jan,

I keep my templates in my original file. They are under a folder called templates and it is marked as hide the branch in to do. I just copy and paste and do not inherit contexts (because I already set them up with the project template)

Cheers,

Stephen J

TMZ

Apr 10, 2018, 7:28:31 AM4/10/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I have a folder with my templates and they have a template context.
When I need them, I copy them and change the context.

Jan Thomä

Apr 11, 2018, 2:44:25 AM4/11/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I use a single MLO file. Inside of that I have a folder named "Templates", which i mark as  "Hide the branch in Todo". This way the templates never show up in my actual todo lists but I can keep everything in one file. I have a similar folder for checklist templates.

Mun Thung Lew

Apr 11, 2018, 11:29:46 AM4/11/18
to MyLifeOrganized
One of the way to do this is

0. save all the template in a folder
1. go to file menu, Task > New from Template
2. select the specific template saved in the folder from the window pop up

Regards,
LEW

Jan Onesork

Apr 13, 2018, 2:14:18 AM4/13/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you so much guys! I wasn't aware of the "Hide the branch in Todo" functionality even though it was right in front of my eyes.

I'll probably use this + "New from Template" tip and see how it goes.

Best,

Jan

Michael Emerald, CFA

Apr 13, 2018, 5:32:04 PM4/13/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Yes, great minds think alike.  I do the same.

(Actually I owe the idea to (what’s his name?) our previous Fearless Leader).

Trish Putnam

Apr 13, 2018, 6:03:06 PM4/13/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Yup, that makes three of us - I've done it that way for a number of years now.