Critical & Inclusive Mentoring Workshop by Dr. David Muñoz

Melissa Youngquist

Jul 15, 2021, 3:18:24 PM7/15/21
to mw_...@googlegroups.com

Dear MWPARC members,

This July, Dr. David Muñoz of the PARC Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Task Team (DEITT) is putting on a virtual mentoring workshop that focuses on critical and inclusive mentoring techniques.

Mentorship is traditionally defined as the unidirectional passing down of skills and knowledge from mentor to mentee. While often helpful, traditional mentoring can also reinforce detrimental power dynamics or encourage conformity, stifling individuality and creativity.

In this training, we will learn how inclusive and critical mentoring frameworks change this paradigm to a holistic, mentee-centered approach. You will leave with perspectives to help guide yourself and those who you mentor.

This interactive workshop is for all PARC members interested in improving their mentoring skills, especially those interested in serving as mentors for awardees of the PARC Increasing Professional Development Award (PIPA). Attendees are asked to view a recorded lecture by David, and then participate in an interactive discussion and Q&A about the topics.

Please fill out this Doodle Poll by Thursday, July 15th to help us find the best time for those interested. The final date will be announced on Friday, July 16th.

Sincerely,

The PIPA team on behalf of the DEITT

--

Melissa Youngquist, PhD

Co-Chair MWPARC Advisory Board

Research Biologist, Amphibian Conservation

Daniel P. Haerther Center for Conservation and Research

John G. Shedd Aquarium

www.sheddaqarium.org

Pronouns: she/her/hers

jbuc...@g.emporia.edu

Jul 21, 2021, 3:32:03 PM7/21/21
to Midwest Partners in Amphibian & Reptile Conservation (PARC)

MWPARC members,

We have a final date for the Critical and Inclusive Mentoring Workshop, led by Dr. David Muñoz! Please save Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 4pm PT/7pm ET on your calendar along with the following zoom info:

https://cornell.zoom.us/j/92577076615?pwd=UG1XT3h0ZVhkOVc2dTJMSlZ4SnFtUT09

Meeting ID: 925 7707 6615

Passcode: mentoring

One tap mobile

+1-312-626-6799,,925 7707 6615# US (Chicago)

+1-470-250-9358,,925 7707 6615# US (Atlanta)

***Before the July 28th session, please watch this condensed training from David: https://youtu.be/SY_6u89vjr4 . Watching this video will be essential to get the most out of the July 28th live session. Please note, there is also a document with reflection questions to help you think through some of the ideas and topics he mentions in the training video.***

If you are not able to attend the meeting, please fill out this Google Form if you’d like to be kept informed about mentor opportunities through the PIPA program.

Contact PIPA Team co-leader Marilyn Sobel (sobelm...@gmail.com) if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the live zoom workshop on July 28th!

Thank you!

Jen Buchanan

MWPARC Senior Co-chair

Smith, Matthew

Jul 26, 2021, 2:47:26 PM7/26/21
to mw_...@googlegroups.com

Are their plans to have this recorded? I would love to attend the workshop but the date and times does not work with my schedule. I would be grateful if it was recorded and I could watch it at a later date.

Dr. Matthew T. Smith (he/him/his)

Associate Professor of Practice

North Dakota State University

Dept. of Biological Sciences

Stevens Hall 218

1340 Bolley Drive, Fargo ND 58102

Fax: 701-231-7149

Phone: 701-306-3295

Matthew.th...@ndsu.edu

We collectively acknowledge that we gather at NDSU, a land grant institution, on the traditional lands of the Oceti Sakowin (Dakota, Lakota, Nakoda) and Anishinaabe Peoples in addition to many diverse Indigenous Peoples still connected to these lands. We honor with gratitude Mother Earth and the Indigenous Peoples who have walked with her throughout generations. We will continue to learn how to live in unity with Mother Earth and build strong, mutually beneficial, trusting relationships with Indigenous Peoples of our region.

Jennifer Buchanan

Jul 30, 2021, 8:47:45 AM7/30/21
to mw_...@googlegroups.com

David’s recorded critical and mentoring workshop will remain available on YouTube: https://youtu.be/SY_6u89vjr4