Monopoly sucks.

Cleber Vieira Baptista

Jul 25, 2022, 5:11:33 PM7/25/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry, I don't know if the translation is correct.

Monopoly sucks.

I only have two small clients that use QM. They want to leave the MV.

Me trying to revive the systems, I can't get a simple information about license renewal.

Martin always served me very well, quickly. The best support I've ever had. Congratulations.

The company that maintains the monopoly of MV technology is a disaster in relation to small companies.

This monopoly tends to end our legacy, as well as scare away new users.

Att.,

Cleber.

Wol

Jul 25, 2022, 6:53:03 PM7/25/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 25/07/2022 22:11, Cleber Vieira Baptista wrote:
> The company that maintains the monopoly of MV technology is a disaster
> in relation to small companies.
>
> This monopoly tends to end our legacy, as well as scare away new users.

That's why ScarletDME is important.

Can you clone the hard-drive, install the (32-bit) version, and see how
it goes?

Cheers,
Wol

Cleber Vieira Baptista

Jul 25, 2022, 7:06:42 PM7/25/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I'll wait, but if I don't get an answer from the monopoly that now dominates the MV. I'll go for other options.

Cleber Vieira Baptista

+55
 61 8441-1663 Oi

geneb

Jul 26, 2022, 9:35:10 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
It won't work. They jimmied the opcode numbers on purpose to prevent code
compiled in the commercial build of OpenQM from running on the GPLed
version.

A backup/restore of specific accounts could work ok, providing the source
code for any custom software is available to be recompiled.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Wol

Jul 26, 2022, 9:49:35 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 26/07/2022 14:35, geneb wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2022, Wol wrote:
>
>> On 25/07/2022 22:11, Cleber Vieira Baptista wrote:
>>> The company that maintains the monopoly of MV technology is a
>>> disaster in relation to small companies.
>>>
>>> This monopoly tends to end our legacy, as well as scare away new users.
>>
>> That's why ScarletDME is important.
>>
>> Can you clone the hard-drive, install the (32-bit) version, and see
>> how it goes?
>>

> It won't work.  They jimmied the opcode numbers on purpose to prevent
> code compiled in the commercial build of OpenQM from running on the
> GPLed version.

Do we know what the changes were - what the QM opcodes are compared to
the ScarletDME codes?

> A backup/restore of specific accounts could work ok, providing the
> source code for any custom software is available to be recompiled.

Or some mug could write a re-compiler :-)

I think I'm suddenly about to get my new laptop finally set up and
working "just right", so hopefully I'll be devoting a bit more time to
the project ...

Cheers,
Wol

geneb

Jul 26, 2022, 10:33:15 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Wol wrote:

>> It won't work.  They jimmied the opcode numbers on purpose to prevent code
>> compiled in the commercial build of OpenQM from running on the GPLed
>> version.
>
> Do we know what the changes were - what the QM opcodes are compared to the
> ScarletDME codes?
I don't, no. It was obscured on purpose.

>> A backup/restore of specific accounts could work ok, providing the source
>> code for any custom software is available to be recompiled.
>>
> Or some mug could write a re-compiler :-)

A decompiler would certainly be handy. :)

> I think I'm suddenly about to get my new laptop finally set up and working
> "just right", so hopefully I'll be devoting a bit more time to the project

\o/

Martin Phillips

Jul 26, 2022, 10:47:11 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
  • They jimmied the opcode numbers on purpose to prevent code  compiled in the commercial build of OpenQM from running on the GPLed version.

This is not true though there have been massive changes to the object code format since the GPL version was released.

Beware of the legal pitfalls of reverse engineering the commercial product. This is explicitly banned in the licence terms.

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

geneb

Jul 26, 2022, 11:32:20 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 26 Jul 2022, Martin Phillips wrote:

> * They jimmied the opcode numbers on purpose to prevent code compiled
> in the commercial build of OpenQM from running on the GPLed version.
>
> This is not true though there have been massive changes to the object
> code format since the GPL version was released.

I recall seeing a comment in the code that specifically mentions that the
opcode values used in the GPL version are different than the commercial
version in order to prevent binaries from one running on the other.

> Beware of the legal pitfalls of reverse engineering the commercial
> product. This is explicitly banned in the licence terms.

That might be moot in the face of Title 17, Code 1201, Paragraph f,
sub-paragraph 1. However, I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.
;)

Wols Lists

Jul 26, 2022, 11:36:15 AM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 26/07/2022 16:32, geneb wrote:
>> Beware of the legal pitfalls of reverse engineering the commercial
>> product. This is explicitly banned in the licence terms.
>
> That might be moot in the face of Title 17, Code 1201, Paragraph f,
> sub-paragraph 1.  However, I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. ;)

Well that looks like US law to me, so it doesn't apply over here ... :-)

And I think bans on reverse engineering tread a VERY fine line on the
border of illegality in Europe. I'd have to investigate.

I am aware that it's dodgy territory, though ...

Cheers,
Wol

Jim Idle

Jul 26, 2022, 9:56:33 PM7/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Surely a re-compiler is only useful if the customer has lost their source code? You cannot decompile the system level stuff that comes with the product, even though a lot of QM is written in BASIC as I understand it.

If the customer has their source code, then they could just try compiling it on Scarlet. When I checked out the source code for scarlet though, it would be seem to be impractical to go backwards from the commercial product to the Open Source version.

If the customer is using a commercial package, then they could ask the vendor to move to a different platform.

Jim

Will Johnson

Jul 27, 2022, 2:46:04 PM7/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Well the OP mentioned "licensing" and "reviving" the systems.
To me this sounds like *some* thing has caused the systems to be unstartable, meaning you can't log in at all

Maybe a message like "your license is out of date, you must upgrade your license...."
It doesn't really sound like the situation where you can even get inside your system, to do anything, before you fix this first.

Jim Idle

Jul 28, 2022, 3:34:43 AM7/28/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
But how can get to the object code without needing a license, but not the source code?

Will Johnson

Jul 28, 2022, 3:41:12 PM7/28/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I think this thread has gone off the rails.
The OP did not mention trying to get to the object code, or the source code.
He only mentions trying to revive a system, and trying to get it relicensed.

You would not need to relicense something unless it complained that it was unlicensed and then died immediately.

Jim Idle

Jul 28, 2022, 11:40:34 PM7/28/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
The thread went where it went mate - there are no internet rules saying people can’t follow a path. Not sure why you thought this would be a useful addition to the thread.

Will Johnson

Jul 29, 2022, 2:38:04 PM7/29/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Maybe you could give us more information