Looking for cloud hosting reference

Bruce Ackman

Apr 13, 2022, 1:26:10 PM4/13/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I'm not thrilled with Nexustek.  I'm thinking of switching to a local IT company to host my D3/Linux server.  They have plenty of Linux experience, but not with Pick/D3. Or I could go with PickCloud.
We're a very small user, only a 15 seat license, and I can't think of the last time I called anybody for help with a problem on the D3 side.
Anybody have a recommendation or an experience they'd like to share?
TIA

Rick Weiser

Apr 13, 2022, 1:40:13 PM4/13/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Bruce,

With a company that small, why would you over pay for a cloud server?  Why not bring it in house?

If you need help with D3, I/ThinkTRG can help.  If you would like to discuss, let me know.

Rick

Bruce Ackman

Apr 13, 2022, 1:59:59 PM4/13/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I used to keep it in house, but then I have to manage it.  I'm just looking for someone to take over the Linux machine and keep it up to date and secure.

Steve Trimble

Apr 13, 2022, 5:52:49 PM4/13/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
You can't go wrong with Doug Dimitru and Sam Anderson, owners of EasyCo.
Doug knows Linux/D3 and all the multivalue flavors.
I have had cloud experience with them since way before cloud(s) were around. (over 25yrs with them)
great folks. 610-237-2000
Sam is on the east coast and Doug on the west coast.

Computerized Data Mgmt Inc
Steve Trimble
(501) 772-3450 cell / text

Bruce Ackman

Apr 14, 2022, 2:41:29 PM4/14/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks for the reference. I'd never heard of EasyCo, but I remember Sam from Repton Data

Ashley Chapman

Apr 15, 2022, 7:28:20 AM4/15/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I used Easyco for a QM/Linux client a number of years ago.  Sam and Doug are a great support team!  Would totally do it again if the need arises.

Ashley

Jim Idle

Apr 15, 2022, 11:59:28 PM4/15/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Unless you really need someone to update the server for you, why not just sign up for AWS and create a single instance? You can set up web admin to auto update Linux and that’s all there is to it. Everything from security to performance will be better.

Lisa Levsen

Apr 16, 2022, 1:04:25 AM4/16/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Nfinit/Fortitude does a great job of server hosting and they are Rocket certified and Multi Value friendly.

Tony Gravagno

Apr 20, 2022, 4:20:48 PM4/20/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
One of my new businesses is focused around hosting of business applications. While I have not been involved with MV for a while now, I would enjoy regular interaction with MV clients in this environment.

We run multiple servers in a data center. This is just like AWS. I prefer DreamHost and have based everything there, though could as easily have built the exact same topology over Digital Ocean. We run a lot of LAMP websites over servers, spinning up new servers as required. Almost every site has a WordPress installation and I've established creds in that industry much like in this one. We run our own DNS, and administer security at the network level, server level, and application level. We also run our own email servers. In summary, when I get some marketing going, the offering will include full hosting for websites plus email plus other application servers, all with one vendor. This also makes communications very elegant, for example, there's no latency between an ECommerce website and the MV system that integrates with it.

As far as pricing, I don't have anything established yet - let's talk. At this time the plan is to offer everything ala-carte on a yearly schedule. So for example, these optional services would all be itemized separately:
- Server at cost-plus, including CPU, memory, and disk
- OS hosting and maintenance as a service, including security and backups
- MV administration, backups, users, performance, etc
- MV VAR services with Rocket, in partnership with application developers
- MV consultation
- domain hosting, includes DNS, certs, DB, some security, some monitoring
- WordPress site administration
- WordPress development
- Hosting/management for wiki, issue tracker, support desk, and a few other business apps
- Communications development to integrate anything to anything else
- Discord server maintenance and integrations with MV
- Email with pricing based on volume, not domain - includes spam management, collaboration
- Minecraft hosting ... yeah, we're doing that too. ;)

What does have me concerned is the situation with CentOS, D3 OS requirements, etc. This can affect my costs, as I can support the environment but at this moment we're running 100% Ubuntu, and there could be some cross-environment details that would need to be tweaked for smooth integration.

So ... it can't hurt to talk!
For now, email me at the old and familiar TG@
Nebula-RND
And add the .com