Problems with 10.13.x Combo Updates

Matt Hull

Jan 24, 2018, 2:37:10 PM1/24/18
to munki-discuss
Hello,

When I push out any of the 10.13 combo updates Managed Software Center will see the update, download it and appear to start the install.  After a very short period of time I the computer is back at the login screen.  When I log in, the computer is not updated and Managed Software Center starts downloading the update again.  Munki Report shows the updated was installed successfully, but the version is reported as the the old version.

If I restart the computer manually after a download of the combo update in Managed Software Center, it will ask me if I want to install the OS update or just restart.  If I choose the option to update it does successfully install the combo update.

We have InstallAppleSoftwareUpdates set to true so our computers are getting the combo update from Apple and it installs properly, but I would prefer to push out the updates locally.    Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Gregory Neagle

Jan 24, 2018, 2:42:19 PM1/24/18
to munki-discuss
Let's clarify here:
Are you:
1) Downloading a standalone combo update and importing it into your Munki repo, then adding it to manifests as a managed_install; or
2) Using Munki to install Apple updates via `/usr/sbin/softwareupdate` ?

In either case, looking at /var/log/install.log might provide additional clues as to what is happening.

-Greg

Matt Hull

Jan 24, 2018, 3:08:59 PM1/24/18
to munki-discuss
Hello, thank you for your quick reply.  I love Munki!

I've downloaded the standalone combo update from Apple and added it to Munki then added it to a manifest as an optional install.  I tried doing the update with 10.13.1, 10.13.2 and now 10.13.3 and experienced the same issue each time.  I eventually stopped trying since the update was still being downloaded as an apple update.

I've attached a copy of the log from a single run where it downloads it, starts the update, logs out, shows some progress and restarts.  Nothing jumps out as me, but I am not as skilled at analyzing these logs.

Thanks,
Matt
install.log

Gregory Neagle

Jan 24, 2018, 7:31:04 PM1/24/18
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
Nothing new to offer you except this:

Which update should I install?
Choose the macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 update that corresponds to your Mac:

IOW, Apple doesn't recommend installing the Combo Update on computers running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. I don't know if that's the actual issue here, though.

-Greg

<install.log>

Gregory Neagle

Jan 24, 2018, 7:57:18 PM1/24/18
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
I replicated your issue without Munki being involved.

I ssh'd into a Mac running 10.13.2 and installed the package while the machine was at the login window:

# installer -pkg /Volumes/macOS\ High\ Sierra\ 10.13.3\ Update\ Combo/macOSUpdCombo10.13.3.pkg -target /
installer: Package name is macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update Combo
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade was successful.
installer: The install requires restarting now.
humantorch:Downloads root# shutdown -r now
Shutdown NOW!

*** FINAL System shutdown message from ro...@humantorch.fas.fa.disney.com ***
System going down IMMEDIATELY

After reboot I ssh'd back in and the OS version is unchanged.

# sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.13.2
BuildVersion: 17C205

So this is not a Munki issue, really. This is an Apple package being installed in a way Apple did not consider or test for.
I think if you manually install this package in a GUI session it sets up things that are supposed to be triggered at logout.

Munki logs out _first_ and then installs the package, and then restarts. So the "things" never get triggered.

I think you'll need to stick with the `softwareupdate` method of doing this update.

-Greg

Matt Hull

Jan 25, 2018, 6:09:30 AM1/25/18
to munki-discuss
That's perfect, at least I have an answer and it isn't an incorrect setting somewhere. Thank you for taking the time to test that, I appreciate it. :)

Matt

Merlin Hartley

Jan 25, 2018, 6:22:21 AM1/25/18
to munki-...@googlegroups.com
You might consider using something like Reposado if you are attempting to minimise Internet usage…

Hope this is useful!

Merlin

--
Merlin Hartley
Computer Officer

Matt Hull

Jan 25, 2018, 7:00:57 AM1/25/18
to munki-discuss
Thank you Merlin, it looks like Reposado will do what I want.  I have it downloading the catalogs now!