Updates Only Window Mode

Christopher Grande

Jul 22, 2021, 7:17:08 PM7/22/21
to munki-dev
Currently when there are no optional installs the sidebar just contains the Updates button. It looked a little lonely, so I figured the the entire sidebar should collapse instead.

It also now dynamically changes after a MSU run, so you no longer need to restart the app to see Optional installs if they have been added, just a refresh will do.

I also tweaked the window controls to match the Mac App Store.

If it looks good I can open a pull request.

Chris

UpdateAndOptionalUpdate.png

Gregory Neagle

Jul 22, 2021, 7:27:37 PM7/22/21
to munki-dev
Nice work!

Conceptually this is better than a lonely Updates item in the sidebar. I think Ben wanted to collapse the sidebar originally but couldn't figure out how to implement it.

I notice you've changed the makeUsObnoxious() mode to use this "updates only" window mode. That seems appropriate, but I'd like other's reactions.

I'll play with it and I encourage others to play with it as well. I'd be happy to take a pull request, but I think at first it should be a new branch.

-Greg

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Christopher Grande

Jul 22, 2021, 8:20:49 PM7/22/21
to munki-dev
Thanks! Yea, I figured the changes could use some tire kicking, including the obnoxious mode — seemed like it would be a good fit, but others might use it differently.

One thing I was looking at but couldn't figure out at the moment was having the toolbar appear on scroll up with the section name. You can see the effect in any of the sections of the MAS.

Chris

Gregory Neagle

Jul 22, 2021, 9:15:36 PM7/22/21
to munk...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 22, 2021, at 5:20 PM, Christopher Grande <cgr...@mxcc.commnet.edu> wrote:
>
> One thing I was looking at but couldn't figure out at the moment was having the toolbar appear on scroll up with the section name. You can see the effect in any of the sections of the MAS.

Yes I think I know what you are referring to. It didn’t seem that important to implement.

Ben Toms

Jul 25, 2021, 10:32:41 AM7/25/21
to munk...@googlegroups.com
"Conceptually this is better than a lonely Updates item in the sidebar. I think Ben wanted to collapse the sidebar originally but couldn't figure out how to implement it."

Correct, and like this change :)

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Ben

Christopher Grande

Aug 9, 2021, 4:59:37 PM8/9/21
to munki-dev
Thanks Ben :)

Were you able to give a try to make sure it works as you expect?