Remove Command-Q for the MunkiStatus app over the loginwindow

Marnin Goldberg

Dec 23, 2019, 9:43:43 AM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone,

With this code change https://github.com/munki/munki/compare/25f7af52d6...264470e7eb You can no longer Command-Q the MunkiStatus app that is running over the loginwindow.

I have used Command-Q in the past when Munki was looping an install, usually while in bootstrap mode. If I don’t has SSH enabled, how would one stop Munki and break out of the install loop?

Marnin

Mike Solin

Dec 23, 2019, 1:00:36 PM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Does quitting MunkiStatus stop the background process from running? I would guess managedsoftwareupdate is still looping, you're just not being notified.

I hadn't considered Command-Q as a way to troubleshoot that. I use the 'Stop' button (which can be disabled via Munki's preferences), or press Command-L to bring up the logs and see what's looping, so I can fix it server-side.

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Gregory Neagle

Dec 23, 2019, 1:32:31 PM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 23, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Mike Solin <mi...@mikesolin.com> wrote:

Does quitting MunkiStatus stop the background process from running?

No. It just quits the GUI.

I would guess managedsoftwareupdate is still looping, you're just not being notified.

Correct.

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 9:43 AM Marnin Goldberg <list...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

With this code change https://github.com/munki/munki/compare/25f7af52d6...264470e7eb You can no longer Command-Q the MunkiStatus app that is running over the loginwindow.

I have used Command-Q in the past when Munki was looping an install, usually while in bootstrap mode. If I don’t has SSH enabled, how would one stop Munki and break out of the install loop?

Marnin

--
Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Gregory Neagle

Dec 23, 2019, 1:41:46 PM12/23/19
to 'Gregory Neagle' via munki-dev
The intention has always been to not allow the user to bypass the MunkiStatus window and log in while a managedsoftwareupdate install session is happening.

I'm pretty sure that early versions of MunkiStatus did not allow the user to use Command-Q to quit the app at the loginwindow. I don't know when that crept in, and I'm not terribly motivated to reinstall older versions to find out.

I do see the need for an admin to have an "emergency shutdown" lever to pull, but Command-Q shouldn't be it, as it should not be something a "normal" user would easily guess (or just do by habit). (I do think that whatever is chosen will be largely unknown by most Munki admins.)

Perhaps Command-Shift-Option-Control-Q ? :-)

-Greg

Marnin Goldberg

Dec 23, 2019, 2:23:23 PM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com

Now I have a better understanding. Agreed it shouldn’t be Command-Q. Command-Shift-Option-Control-Q seems over the top. Maybe . Command-Control-Q?

Marnin

Elliot Jordan

Dec 23, 2019, 2:31:37 PM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com
I like Command-Control-Q.

DEPNotify has an equivalent: Command-Control-X (but no need to adhere to that precedent with MunkiStatus).

Elliot

Joaquin Cabrerizo Egea

Dec 23, 2019, 4:04:14 PM12/23/19
to munk...@googlegroups.com
Totally agree Command-q can’t be allowed. I think a 3 or 4 keys shortcut is the solution too.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Yehuda Bialik

Dec 24, 2019, 8:43:38 AM12/24/19
to munki-dev
I just force quit it: Command + Option + Esc + Shift. I usually have to do it twice before I can login.

Yehuda

Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Find related discussion groups here:
https://github.com/munki/munki/wiki/Discussion-Group

Gregory Neagle

Jan 6, 2020, 2:48:53 PM1/6/20
to munk...@googlegroups.com
I just tested this, and this works. I don't see the need to offer another way to force quit the MunkiStatus app at the loginwindow (unless I decide to/figure out a way to block this key combo...)

-Greg

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/munki-dev/03ba06cc-ea02-45fc-b4f4-3edf235e9a4b%40googlegroups.com.