What's on your bucket list?

Emilio Trampuz

Dec 23, 2020, 10:16:37 PM12/23/20
to Mt. High All Club Forum
What's on your bucket list?

What do you want to do after the COVID restrictions are behind us?  Is there a mountain to climb?  A challenge to meet?  A place to visit?  A hill to ski?  A mission to accomplish? Do you want to travel a lot?  Or just get to know your local haunts better?  Trails to hike?  Mountains to ski?  Bike rides to enjoy?

Where do you want to ski?  Is there a vertical record you want to break?  Or a speed record?  Or a minimum number of ski areas to ski?

What inspires you and motivates you?  What dreams do you dream of achieving?

Let's share some thoughts on the subject.  And we might publish some of your feedback in the next newsletter.

Emilio

Karen Johanson

Dec 31, 2021, 5:18:44 PM12/31/21
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Travel. Especially to Japan, but I wouldn't mind return trips to South America or NZ, or my first visits to European resorts! Also using my Indy Pass more locally.

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Dec 31, 2021, 9:09:55 PM12/31/21
to mth...@googlegroups.com
We had an Overseas Adventure Travel guided trip to Northern Italy planned in September of 2020 which obviously got put off - twice - and unless things get better will be put off again from 2022 to 2023.  When we do go, it will be our first European adventure.  We were really getting into travel before Covid hit, but are very wary of traveling now.  What we have done is to do driving trips for skiing and mountain biking, and we will keep doing them for the foreseeable future.  The ever rising cost of lift tickets means that we will no longer be skiing the major areas with lift tickets in the $150+ range.  Here's to the Indy Pass and the smaller ski areas!

Linda & Bruce McGavin

Debbie

Jan 1, 2022, 5:46:06 PM1/1/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking forward to all the things I used to do indoors that I don't feel comfortable doing now.... dining, drinking, karaoke, yoga, etc. as well as riding the shuttle up to Timberline.
And I'm hoping that all our festivals go back to the way they were pre-COVID.
Debbie Geiger

Michele Gunness

Jan 2, 2022, 7:19:22 PM1/2/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I have a bike/barge trip planned to the Rhone River in France in May, 2022. It has been postponed twice already.
Michele

Emilio Trampuz

Jan 2, 2022, 8:31:02 PM1/2/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Ooh!  A bike trip in Europe sounds exciting!

All of Holland is pretty flat. I am not sure about the valley of the Rhone River in France, but I guess wherever there are barges, it can't be too steep.

As for a trip in Northern Italy, renting a car might be expensive. Prices have gone up a lot.  A little over 30 years ago, my wife and I landed in Zurich, Switzerland and rented a small car there for a total of $300 for 3 weeks.  We then toured a large part of Europe, including Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Germany. That rental was a great deal.

But since then, I have tried to rent a car on two separate occasions and found it prohibitively expensive.  During the club trip to Val d'Isere in France, with Salah Khan, I tried to rent a car for just a day to go ski nearby Les Arcs.  It was simply too expensive, even if split between 3 or 4 people.

And then there was a ski trip to Italy organized by Henry Bendinelli and the Ski Kats maybe around 7 years ago. My plan was to go on that trip with Henry and then, when the whole group flies home, I was going to rent a car probably in Milan and drive it to the Dolomites to meet my sister there, at her favorite ski spot for a few more days of skiing.  I found out that the cost of renting the car in Italy was just as high as in France.  I can't remember the dollar amounts, but I do remember that it was way more than what I was prepared to pay, and way more than renting a car in the US.

So, Linda, let us know if you find a good deal on car rental.

Emilio

tdvo...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2022, 7:25:54 PM1/3/22
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Our bucket list has holes in it due to COVID. But we are determined to keep going.
We skied in Japan with Far West in 2019 and LOVED it. I’d love to return some day.

I’m hoping to try the bike and barge trip somewhere….someday.

We did take a risk and do the adventure scuba trip to Honduras this past October.  Roatan had better vaccination rates than the US at that time. We were also able to get rapid tested at the resort 24 hours before our return to the US.

We are hoping to walk the Camino Portuguese May-June 2022 if the boarders are still open. I completed the Camino Frances in 2019. If anyone is curious about long distance walks, let me know. I’d love to share information about the experience. I also know people who have biked it.

Tonya

Emilio Trampuz

Jan 3, 2022, 9:16:46 PM1/3/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Tonya,

Thanks for sharing all this.  Both scuba diving and bike touring are things I like.

I haven't done any long distance walking, but a friend of mine keeps going to Spain for the El Camino walks.  There are hundreds of miles of it in Spain.   It's a sort of a pilgrimage, and there is more than one El Camino. The common name for all of them is El Camino de Santiago. Anyway, she keeps going back year after year for more of it.

And maybe it's more of a penance than a pilgrimage.  I haven't been on the El Camino myself, but I have spent a month in Madrid one summer, and boy is it hot and dry in Spain during the summer!

Oh, and I just found out that Santiago is the Spanish name for St. James (one of the apostles).  Who knew?  The two names sound so different.  The apostle James was apparently buried in Spain, in the town of Santiago de Compostela, where all the pilgrimage routes end.

https://marlycamino.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Rutas-Camino-de-Santiago-Marly-Camino.png

Emilio

Jeanne NYQUIST

Jan 3, 2022, 9:18:19 PM1/3/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I love ❤️ the smaller ski areas. I hope we get to see you there soon.

Sent from my iPhone

Emilio Trampuz

Feb 8, 2022, 12:01:51 AM2/8/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This topic was started back in December 2021.  Interesting ideas so far, including a trip to Northern Italy (Linda & Bruce Mc Gavin), and visiting smaller ski areas (Jeanne Nyquist).

As for me, my bucket list includes skiing all the ski areas west of Denver, Colorado, including both the US and Canada.  There are approximately 200 ski areas in the West (or just slightly under that number).  So far, with the help of my recent adventure to Northern BC and also the recent visit with Kurt Wilke to the Sitzmark ski area in Washington, I have now skied at 137 places.  So, only about another 63 to go.  If I could manage to visit 10 new ski areas every year, it will take me only about 6.3 years.  It's doable.

You can see a list of all the ski areas in the West on our club's website, on the SKI AREAS page, at: http://www.mthigh.org/SkiAreas.htm

Emilio