Help requested with mosquitto install script

Timothy Buchanan

Dec 19, 2021, 3:57:41 PM12/19/21
to MQTT
When I installed mosquitto on an rPi I get these setup errors:

Setting up mosquitto (2.0.12-0mosquitto1~buster1) ...
Job for mosquitto.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.
See "systemctl status mosquitto.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript mosquitto, action "start" failed.
● mosquitto.service - Mosquitto MQTT Broker daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mosquitto.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: timeout) since Sun 2021-12-19 13:41:03 MST; 54ms ago
  Process: 1274 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mosquitto -c /etc/mosquitto/mosquitto.conf -d (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
dpkg: error processing package mosquitto (--configure):
 installed mosquitto package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
 mosquitto

When I then run mosquitto -v in terminal, I get: mosquitto 2.0.12 running on local machine only, and I see a publishing process running on the same machine.

How can I fix the installation script errors so that mosquitto will start as a service and accept connections from a publisher running on another mcahine on the same network? Thanks for any help?

Dougie Lawson

Dec 20, 2021, 11:54:56 AM12/20/21
to mq...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

It's not a problem. There was a problem with Mosquitto failing with SIGILL on ARM6 Raspberries and the apt/dpkg scripts would fail on that (as they try to restart Mosquitto as part of the installation). V2.0.12 is running OK on all of my Raspberries running RaspiOS Buster or RaspiOS Bullseye.

Test it's OK with sudo systemctl stop mosquitto; sudo systemctl start mosquitto;

Regards, Dougie

--
To learn more about MQTT see https://mqtt.org