Retail map plugin

Beth

Feb 12, 2021, 5:51:37 PM2/12/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Can anyone recommend a tool for displaying a map of retail locations?

Thanks,

Beth

Nick Ciske

Feb 12, 2021, 6:08:08 PM2/12/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
We have one called BrilliantMaps, but it may or may not be overkill for your needs:
https://luminfire.com/our-solutions/brilliantmaps/

If I didn’t use that, I’d probably use Björn’s Cardinal WP:
https://cardinalwp.com

Of course there are a slew of free ones on the Repo and paid ones on CodeCanyon of varying quality… but I can’t speak to the quality of any of them. Hopefully others can.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/store+locator/

Note: Performance if often an afterthought, so if you have a lot of locations, tread carefully as these can bring a site to its knees (that’s one reason we built BrilliantMaps -- to fix the performance issues of a site using WP Google Maps that got slower… and slower…).

_________________________
Nick Ciske
CTO/CISO | LuminFire

Toby

Feb 15, 2021, 6:33:27 PM2/15/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
+1 for CardinalWP.  I'm guessing BrilliantMaps is...brilliant too.

Toby

Winnie Williams

Feb 18, 2021, 11:52:56 AM2/18/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
I’m working on a small website that could potentially get hit quickly with a LOT of traffic.

I would typically host at WPengine, but in the package it would be in, it would cap out at 100,000 visitors. For a big increase in cost, I could move it to 400,000 visitors in a month. And maybe that would be enough, but I’m not certain, so I want to be prepared for where I would move it if I have to. What are my choices after that?

Site would only be relevant for probably 6-9 months, and then would be shut back down, I think. High traffic needs would probably only be for 6 months.

Eric Celeste

Feb 18, 2021, 11:56:49 AM2/18/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Winnie, can you say a bit more about what features this site would need? Is it going to be a site with a lot of user-generated content, for example? Or a fairly static site? Or a site where a single entity is updating content regularly?   ...Eric

Eric Celeste  /  e...@tenseg.net  /  http://tenseg.net  /  651-323-2009

Winnie Williams

Feb 18, 2021, 12:04:09 PM2/18/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Sure - didn’t mean to be so cryptic. It’s a public service site to help older Minnesotans navigate the technology to make appointments for covid and potentially connect them with a clinic that will help them get scheduled. So, static pages, and a limited number of them. Some blog posts as eligibility changes. We may have a form to collect name and phone for those who are eligible but having difficulty accessing the vaccine because of technology, that would be used by a local clinic system, and they would reach out and contact individuals. So - fairly static, with maybe a blog post a day, and one form to collect a small amount of info. There would probably be 2 or 3 people updating content.

Eric Celeste

Feb 18, 2021, 1:01:24 PM2/18/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Winnie, that does sound like it might become quite popular. Given how static it will be, you might want to consider deploying it as a true static site, which will remove PHP and the WordPress database from the equation, making the site much more performant. We currently deploy a few static sites this way via Amazon S3, those can handle a huge load. The other huge advantage of a truly static site is that it is much harder for bad actors to attack (there is nothing to "log in" to, no CMS).

We use Jekyll to deploy these static sites, but there are also tools that turn simple WP sites into static sites for deployment. A quick Google hunt turns up, for example, Simply Static.  A search for "static wordpress" would turn up many other ideas.

A static website could also be run from many other hosts besides S3. The good news is that static sites are so simple they can perform well in many settings.

...Eric

Eric Celeste  /  e...@tenseg.net  /  http://tenseg.net  /  651-323-2009

Beth Backen

Feb 18, 2021, 1:04:19 PM2/18/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nick and Toby!

I'm going to review Cardinal Store Locator with my client today. Looks great.

Beth