Apache log rotation on Bitnami (Lightsail)

Mike Witt

Feb 20, 2021, 1:38:25 PM2/20/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
I guess this is a bit of a long shot, but has anybody here ever
configured log rotation for the http logs on a bitnami lightsail
instance?

Patrick Lewis

Feb 20, 2021, 7:19:48 PM2/20/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
This should be available via logrotate.

It renames the log files with numeric extensions and zips them. It also removes old rotated log files too.

Mike Witt

Feb 21, 2021, 7:44:32 AM2/21/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
That page is where I started :-) Have you actually done it on Bitnami?
I'm apparently missing something.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mpls-stpaul-wordpress/719da830-b06a-4266-b772-026664cf4280n%40googlegroups.com.

Patrick Lewis

Feb 21, 2021, 3:42:42 PM2/21/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
I'm not sure what actions you have taken, but yes, I have gotten this to work on bitnami. Here is the relevant file to configure.

    /opt/bitnami/config/logrotate/logrotate.d/apache.conf

By default, rotation is set to weekly. Change 'weekly' to 'daily.' Test it with this command.

    sudo logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.d/bitnami.conf

If successful you should be able to see the results here.

    /opt/bitnami/apache2/logs

You should see date-named, zipped files, as well as new log files.

Mike Witt

Feb 21, 2021, 4:52:10 PM2/21/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,

Thank you so much. I somehow (despite that very file being mentioned in
the documentation) convinced myself that I should actually add the
apache stuff to /etc/logrotate.conf. (Now I'm not sure what I was
thinking :-)

I'm going to go back and do just what you said. Thanks again!

-Mike