Siteground Security plugin vs WordFence

Toby Cryns

Jun 22, 2021, 11:50:46 AM6/22/21
to Minneapolis Group
Siteground just released a free security plugin that seems pretty much on-par with WordFence and Defender Pro.  Does anyone sees any glaring deficiencies in this new plugin vs the established players?  Here's the Siteground security plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/sg-security/

Toby

Toby Cryns
The Mighty Mo! | (612) 293-8629
Minneapolis, MN
TheMightyMo.com
LinkedIn

Michael Helmke

Jun 22, 2021, 11:57:25 AM6/22/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Their feature list looks good except for one main difference.  Wordfence has their application firewall and provides updated rules for that firewall based on security threats active in the wild.

Wordfence also has a history of tracking and analyzing security vulnerabilities in the WordPress community.  I don't know if Siteground has any such experience in security research.  The fact that they are a relatively large WordPress host doesn't give me any intuition on that.

Is there a reason you have become dissatisfied with Wordfence's no cost offering?

-- Michael

Nick Ciske

Jun 22, 2021, 12:23:42 PM6/22/21
to mpls-stpau...@googlegroups.com
Wordfence is a CVE Numbering Authority — as they are active security researchers discovering and helping to get issues patched. SiteGround is a web host… that basically just copied the rest of the plugins already on the market. Good for their business most likely, but not on par with WordFence yet.

Wordfence has Worfence Central to centrally manage your installs/notifications/configs. SiteGround... does not.

Wordfence has a software WAF. SiteGround... does not.

There’s a clear winner here. Maybe SG can catch up, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

_________________________
Nick Ciske
CTO/CISO | LuminFire

c...@cypresscreative.com

Jun 25, 2021, 10:19:39 AM6/25/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
Hey Toby

I just tried it out.

Here's what I like:
- You can easily block IPS. Blocking IPs is only available on the pro version of WordFence and the IP Blocker Plugin has always been buggy as well.
- It supports 2-factor authentication.
- It has one-click tools to reinstall plugins and other "post-hack" tools

What I don't like:
- It does not scan your site.  That service already exists on SiteGround, but you have to pay extra for it.

As someone who hosts a lot of sites on SiteGround I will probably use this plugin on our sites hosted there, and stick with WordFence or Sucuri on other hosts.

Nick Ciske

Jun 25, 2021, 10:26:19 AM6/25/21
to Mpls-Stpaul-Wordpress
The free version of Wordfence supports IP blocking (but not country blocking).

Wordfence free supports 2FA (TOTP).

Sucuri Scanner (free) can reinstall themes and plugins should you ever need that.

c...@cypresscreative.com

Jun 25, 2021, 10:29:30 AM6/25/21
to Minneapolis St. Paul WordPress User Group
That's right, neither WF (nor SG) support country blocking out of the gate, but do support IP blocking. My bad.