Public display or kiosk for a station suitable for a nature or visitor center?

Rich Schramm

Feb 8, 2022, 1:56:42 PM2/8/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Has anyone created a public display or kiosk for a MOTUS receiver station that would suitable for a visitor center?  The goal is to engage public visitors to our site with some simple near-realtime display of tag events and some descriptor of what MOTUS is about.  Possibly a touch-screen display and very simple limited number of screens a child and parents can navigate.

We would like to leverage any share-ware software already developed rather than rolling our own.  Thanks for any leads!

Rich Schramm

René Janssen

Feb 10, 2022, 11:30:59 AM2/10/22
to Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Rich,

You can view the SensorGnome easily by a website, so that people can
see which detections are made if there is also a tagdatabase is
uploaded. Or the link of the station on Motus where people can see the
more validated, but not real time detections... Just soms suggestions.

René

Op di 8 feb. 2022 om 19:56 schreef Rich Schramm <schr...@gmail.com>:

> Has anyone created a public display or kiosk for a MOTUS receiver station that would suitable for a visitor center? The goal is to engage public visitors to our site with some simple near-realtime display of tag events and some descriptor of what MOTUS is about. Possibly a touch-screen display and very simple limited number of screens a child and parents can navigate.
>
> We would like to leverage any share-ware software already developed rather than rolling our own. Thanks for any leads!
>
> Rich Schramm
>
> --
> The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://motus.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Motus Wildlife Tracking System" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/76f89268-6c5d-4d1f-84c7-c7e789d70bd3n%40googlegroups.com.

Ian Stewart

Feb 10, 2022, 11:31:07 AM2/10/22
to Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hi Rich,

I’d be interested in this too as we would like to have such a kiosk at our nature center in downtown Wilmington Delaware where there is a Motus station (installed by the North East Motus collaboration). The simplest idea so far is to have a dedicated laptop inside the visitor center set to the Motus homepage with instructions on how to navigate it (after training the desk staff so they can help people use it). Maybe a laptop could be connected to a larger monitor so more visitors can view it at once?

For what it’s worth we came up with a short video recently explaining to people who visit our nature center what the mystery tower is and also giving instructions on how to navigate the Motus website so people can see for themselves which animals are being detected by this tower (or any other tower they are curious about). I hope it’s okay to post this here, it has been a very productive tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4peXO2s04

Best wishes,

Ian Stewart

Deutschlander, Mark

Feb 11, 2022, 9:36:31 AM2/11/22
to Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Rich,

This is a great idea! Thanks for asking about it. I am eager to learn if anyone has set something like this up.

Sincerely,

Mark Deutschlander, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
300 Pulteney St.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Geneva, NY 14456

phone: 315-781-3921
Fax: 315-781-3860

“When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.” John Muir

From: <motu...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Rich Schramm <schr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 1:56 PM
To: Motus Wildlife Tracking System <motu...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [motus-wts] Public display or kiosk for a station suitable for a nature or visitor center?

--
The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://motus.org<https://es.sonicurlprotection-mia.com/click?PV=2&MSGID=202202081856420185085&URLID=5&ESV=10.0.15.7233&IV=89624B1F05524D4CE0392E54B4C1A8F6&TT=1644346603363&ESN=iaq5KTUuAZO6n5dWMdLdMaVm%2B60JfCtgKTPNVpgR7nE%3D&KV=1536961729280&B64_ENCODED_URL=aHR0cHM6Ly9tb3R1cy5vcmc&HK=E64D8E4FA5FCABDC203CEFE82E33C892C35C26E325F8A568681B5CF52EAD31D4>
---

Pat Lorch

Feb 11, 2022, 9:36:31 AM2/11/22
to Ian Stewart, Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hello Ian,
    There is a lot of interest in this functionality broadly, but as far as I know, no one has done it. There is an opportunity for a bunch of groups, including zoos and museums, to collaborate to get this working. I know the Motus folks at Bird Studies Canada are working on a new interface that would probably be easier to localize and configure in “kiosk mode” for a lower maintenance experience in nature centers and museums.

Patrick Lorch

Paul Callo

Feb 11, 2022, 9:36:31 AM2/11/22
to Ian Stewart, Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Perhaps a QR code so they can access the MOTUS home page on their personal device?  That way you wouldn't have to maintain a laptop.  Anyway, just a thought.

- Paul

--
Dr. Paul Callo, PhD
Professor of Biology

Matt Webb

Feb 11, 2022, 9:36:31 AM2/11/22
to René Janssen, I...@delawarenaturesociety.org, Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hey all,

Last year at Motus Fest part 2, which was all about the Outreach and Educational possibilities associated with Motus, I volunteered to lead a working group of sorts to begin the conversation about how to get public-facing displays or interactive kiosks designed and made for visitors centers (you can check out a video of Motus Fest 1 and 2 toward the bottom of this page: https://motus.org/collaboratives/).  Many hosts of Motus stations are very interested in this, and keen to see something that could be relatively plug and play.  In some cases a nature center or zoo or wildlife refuge might want to brand the interactive content, but the core of it could be something easily created and shared widely.  I've been dragging my feet on getting this going because I know there are some really exciting things coming down the pipe in regards to the Motus website that could make this kiosk idea much easier.  But, maybe it's time to meet!

I'd like to get a group of people/organizations who are interested in this together at some point this spring (April / May timeframe) to begin discussions about how we could work together to develop something.  Please email me if this is a conversation or group that you'd like to participate in.  Once I get a few responses, I'll create a doodle poll and find a time where the most people could meet.  I'll plan to record the discussions and make them available to others as we get the ball rolling.  Let me know if you'd like to be a part of this!

Thanks!
Matt

Matthew M Webb

Avian Ecologist and Motus Wildlife Tracking System Coordinator

Bird Conservancy of the Rockies

Motus project #281

970.482.1707 x36 (office)

970.405.7155 (mobile - use this number!)

Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 9:31 AM René Janssen <anom...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rich,

You can view the SensorGnome easily by a website, so that people can
see which detections are made if there is also a tagdatabase is
uploaded. Or the link of the station on Motus where people can see the
more validated, but not real time detections... Just soms suggestions.

René

Op di 8 feb. 2022 om 19:56 schreef Rich Schramm <schr...@gmail.com>:

> Has anyone created a public display or kiosk for a MOTUS receiver station that would suitable for a visitor center?  The goal is to engage public visitors to our site with some simple near-realtime display of tag events and some descriptor of what MOTUS is about.  Possibly a touch-screen display and very simple limited number of screens a child and parents can navigate.
>
> We would like to leverage any share-ware software already developed rather than rolling our own.  Thanks for any leads!
>
> Rich Schramm
>
> --
> The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__motus.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=45FXnVfqnja6Qr5UP0ca_Q9yl5itnIqTfvwFCcGaZR71FSqC23hAblrJ-QejMPFa&m=N2T3rfcxxu7ij5lj-3pzsYTL8ejcyqVWneSDgetPtGs&s=guR3DU5AXs-hO4gzclGiZY1sZMq7wuAZNqs9bUMtqww&e=

> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Motus Wildlife Tracking System" group.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Motus Wildlife Tracking System" group.

William Robles

Feb 11, 2022, 9:36:31 AM2/11/22
to Rich Schramm, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

I would be interested in these reponses as well!

-Bill

Chris Spurgeon

Sep 6, 2022, 5:36:14 PM9/6/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi everyone...

Has any further progress happened on this? I've got some time on my hands and some decent experience doing data visualization type stuff, so I would love to dive in! Anyone working in this area?

Thanks all!

Chris Spurgeon
Pasadena (California) Audubon Society

Rich Schramm

Sep 6, 2022, 7:37:17 PM9/6/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Chris ...  I made some solo progress on a kiosk that comes close to what I originally proposed for our nature center.  I have it up and running on cheap (~$300 on ebay)  Intel NUC w/Windows-10 and a Dell 24" P2418HT touchscreen ($400). I sort-of back-burnered it after the proof-of-concept stage as our Motus station install has been delayed. Its programmed in R, and uses "Shiny" running local on the PC for the dashboard (https://rstudio.github.io/shinydashboard/index.html).  The  NUC boots into the mozzilla 'Open Kiosk' in full-screen mode to prevent a public user from accessing anything other than the intended screens.
I also made the dashboard temporarily viewable as a website page at shiny.io so that our nature center team could comment on it during development.  (It is not my intention that it be a production web-site as I dont want that admin overhead and costs that comes with it hosting a web site - but you could go that route if you choose).  I just restarted it so you could take it for a test drive at https://rschramm.shinyapps.io/ankenykiosk/ to see if its worth pursuing further.
The Shiny app  is making http calls to the public MOTUS server and scrapes the return results.  Its currently hard-wired to query data for a single specific Motus receiver in Bandon Oregon using its receiver ID.
I havent cleaned up the code for public consumption and of course documentation is sparse at this point. Im about to leave town for 4 weeks but we could discuss next steps if you are interested.  One obvious need on the graphics side is to filter the flight path of individual birds to eliminate wild points,  and also it would be nice to have the map display major location names so users could get a better sense of location etc. Ive also thought of adding a tab to the dashboard to link to some pictures or natural history of the birds detected...  Also - credits and citations need work also before rolling out.
Please let me know what you think - I'd love to have a collaborator to work with.

René Janssen

Sep 7, 2022, 12:59:18 PM9/7/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Rich!

It looks really awesome! Only the maps I much more prefer a Google
(hybrid) layer as background. It is as Kiosk very helpfull; much
better than the Motus website that is for outsiders a bit sloppy to
start with and find your way to the tracks in first attempts.

Very well done! I have fear to ask, but is this easy to use for other stations?

René

Op wo 7 sep. 2022 om 01:37 schreef Rich Schramm <schr...@gmail.com>:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/4d7181b6-447e-453f-be96-ddb0e3e983c4n%40googlegroups.com.

Pat Lorch

Sep 7, 2022, 12:59:22 PM9/7/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com
Include me in this loop too. I have a ton of experience with R, and less with Rshiny apps. But I also have experience with leaflet maps in R, with writing interpretive apps and with using R to query the Motus database. What I lack is time, but I will help when I can.

Patrick Lorch

On Sep 6, 2022, at 4:37 PM, Rich Schramm <schr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Chris ...  I made some solo progress on a kiosk that comes close to what I originally proposed for our nature center.  I have it up and running on cheap (~$300 on ebay)  Intel NUC w/Windows-10 and a Dell 24" P2418HT touchscreen ($400). I sort-of back-burnered it after the proof-of-concept stage as our Motus station install has been delayed. Its programmed in R, and uses "Shiny" running local on the PC for the dashboard (https://rstudio.github.io/shinydashboard/index.html).  The  NUC boots into the mozzilla 'Open Kiosk' in full-screen mode to prevent a public user from accessing anything other than the intended screens.

David La Puma

Sep 14, 2022, 6:19:29 AM9/14/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Jessica Gorzo
Very cool work, Rich. I’m looping in Jess Gorzo who has played around with R Shiny and has extensive R experience too (but like everyone, lacks in available time!). Either way, another great resource to bounce stuff off of.

I’m really excited to see what others are able to contribute to collectively move the visualization of Motus data forward.

Cheers,

David

If we did all of the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” - Thomas Edison

Chris Spurgeon (gmail)

Sep 14, 2022, 6:19:36 AM9/14/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Thanks for showing this Rich. Very cool! I’m not a R guy m’self, I’m more of a Processing and JavaScript type. But I’m psyched to start mucking about. To begin with the most basic, is there a http(s) API to Motus available? Or is using a R package the only way to access the data? I sure hope not!

Chris Spurgeon
Pasadena Audubon

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Motus Wildlife Tracking System" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/4d7181b6-447e-453f-be96-ddb0e3e983c4n%40googlegroups.com.

Rich Schramm

Oct 14, 2022, 12:44:02 PM10/14/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Chris - I am not making use of the MOTUS R package at this point. I am only making http requests to the motus.org data servers for public "Basic open-access dataset". That dataset is the coarse "summary-level detection information".   I 'scrape' the return results using an R package called rvest.  The summary-level detection information is low-resolution lat/lon and filtered which is perfectly fine for my application.

The drawback to web scraping of course is it is an unpublished, undocumented API (as far I as I know) and so results returned could possibly changed at any time motus updates their web server and potentially break my code.

Samples specific URL's I am hitting are (the id's are the motus database ID related to my target receiver and a tag 'hit' from it:

-Rich

Chris Spurgeon (gmail)

Oct 14, 2022, 6:18:40 PM10/14/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Thanks Rich!

Would be nice though to be able to get just the data, as JSON or XML or CSV or something.

Chris

Denis Lepage

Oct 14, 2022, 7:00:33 PM10/14/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com

We do not have a timeline for this yet, but we are planning to add more capability to the API and the R package to pull summarized data at some point, which would potentially allow this type of use in a more formal way, and including some guidelines about acceptable use, and ensuring recognition of Motus and projects, etc.

Cheers!

Denis Lepage

Denis Lepage dle...@birdscanada.org

Senior Director, Data Science and Technology

Birds Canada

PO Box 160, Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0

519-586-3531 x155

Rich Schramm

Oct 29, 2022, 9:46:24 AM10/29/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Well I am jumping in to the deep end ! I have posted my Kiosk code and documentation to a public github repository.  If you have a github account you should now be able to see and clone it at:
(let me know if you cant - Im still a github newbie)

It's working prototype is still visible at https://rschramm.shinyapps.io/ankenykiosk/  (it sometimes takes a few seconds to load as its a free hosting service and they take their time spinning it up  if its been idle)

If anyone tries it out at home, I'd love to hear about your experiences.  I would also welcome any collaborators willing to make help improvements!

Rich Schramm

Rich Schramm

Nov 28, 2022, 7:03:24 AM11/28/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
FYI - I just released a new version (v3.3.0) of the Kiosk app that implements a dropdown picklist configurable for multiple receivers in our area of interest. Also now includes a "species" tab panel that can be used to display static html pages describing the detected animal.  Enjoy. -Rich

Rich Schramm

Dec 12, 2023, 8:32:17 PM12/12/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
I have just publicly released MOTUS_KIOSK Version 5 on github at  https://github.com/rschramm9/MOTUS_KIOSK
Motus Kiosk is an interactive display suitable for a nature center or wildlife refuge visitor center to connect visitors with live summary level detection data from Motus receivers at or near their sites.
V5 includes a major refactoring and directory restructure to separate code from site-specific content. The intent is to make it much easier for adopters to create and maintain their own kiosk sites, or multiple sites. Also includes a significant rewrite of documentation pages.  ANKENY_MOTUS_KIOSK V4.x site is still on github but users are encouraged to migrate to V5.