Using MongoDB's C Sharp driver inside a Windows 8.1 Store App

m.bauer...@sto.com

Sep 15, 2015, 3:27:59 AM9/15/15
to mongodb-user
After experiencing the convenience of the MongoDB driver inside a standard Win32 application, I'm now experimenting with Windows 8.1 Store Apps.
Unfortunately, the MongoDB driver assembly doesn't appear to be available for this application model.

Is there a straightforward way to implement MongoDB integration?
I was thinking WCF. But that seems rather complex (I'm still somewhat new to C Sharp/the .Net family).

Is someone else struggling with this and could offer some valuable advice?

Craig Wilson

Sep 15, 2015, 9:12:43 AM9/15/15
to mongodb-user
No, unfortunately, we do not support windows store apps currently. (And we likely won't decide to support windows 8.1 store apps at all due to Windows 10 being released). If you'd like to file a feature request, feel free to in the CSHARP project at jira.mongodb.org.

m.bauer...@sto.com

Sep 15, 2015, 10:45:13 AM9/15/15
to mongodb-user
I'm well aware it isn't supported.
Hence I was asking for an alternative approach to using the standard driver.

Craig Wilson

Sep 15, 2015, 11:02:50 AM9/15/15
to mongodb-user
The only alternative approach is to use a custom server side API. Hence, your thick-client talks to the custom server side API which talks to MongoDB. This is almost always going to be a better solution as it allows you to fix bugs, have better security, etc... without needing to touch the thick-client. You can build this server side API using any language or framework. If you use .NET, you'll likely host it with IIS and expose it via WCF or a simple json service. You can even build a RESTful API if you'd like.