Is it ok to use Mongo 2.14 Java driver with MongoDB server 3.x?

Daniel R

Apr 13, 2016, 3:23:39 PM4/13/16
to mongodb-user
Hi
Our devops guy is setting MongoDB replica set using Docker and bla blah... to go into limited production in a couple of months. He's gone for the latest stable version: 3.2 of MongoDB server but development and integration environments have been in v2.4 server together with Java driver 2.12.

Upgrading to v3.x drivers will break our build and right now we don't have time nor resources to refactor and make it work with 3.x drivers so for the time being I was wondering if we could keep 2.x drivers but work with MongoDb server 3.x.

The doc is sort of vague about this but seems to imply it works:

"Note that it's recommended that users upgrade instead to the 3.2 Java driver when upgrading to the 3.2 server. The 2.14.0 driver is only being provided to assist users who are not yet in a position to upgrade to the 3.x Java driver series."

thanks

Jeff Yemin

Apr 13, 2016, 4:10:58 PM4/13/16
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Yes, the 2.14 driver will work with MongoDB 3.2.  There are just a few MongoDB 3.2 features that are not exposed in the 2.14 driver.

Regards,
Jeff

Tim Hawkins

Apr 13, 2016, 8:07:50 PM4/13/16
to mongodb-user

Sorry to hijack this thread but the question is simular.

Is the same true of the legacy php driver (1.6.12 I belive) ? Can we drive a 3.2 installation from it?

Derick Rethans

Apr 14, 2016, 4:53:44 AM4/14/16
to mongodb-user
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016, Tim Hawkins wrote:

> Sorry to hijack this thread but the question is simular.
>
> Is the same true of the legacy php driver (1.6.12 I belive) ? Can we
> drive a 3.2 installation from it?

Yes - you certainly can. We would suggest you alternative look at using
the new driver, in combination with the polyfill for it though:
https://packagist.org/packages/alcaeus/mongo-php-adapter

cheers,
Derick

--
{
website: [ "http://mongodb.org", "http://derickrethans.nl" ],

Stephen Steneker

Apr 17, 2016, 8:50:16 PM4/17/16
to mongodb-user
On Thursday, 14 April 2016 10:07:50 UTC+10, Tim Hawkins wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread but the question is simular.

Is the same true of the legacy php driver (1.6.12 I belive) ? Can we drive a 3.2 installation from it?

Hi Tim,

FYI, the MongoDB manual includes a guide to compatibility for MongoDB server and driver/language versions: Driver Compatibility Reference.

Older driver versions may continue to work but will likely not be compatible with newer server features such as authentication or storage engine changes. There may also be spurious warnings for unsupported index or BSON types depending on your combination of MongoDB driver & server versions.

The documented compatibility matrix is what we test and recommend.

Regards,
Stephen