Using the Intel Compiler With MongoDB + C Driver

Victor Stewart

Aug 6, 2017, 6:19:02 PM8/6/17
to mongodb-user
Has anyone tried compiling the main database + collection of tools, or the C driver with the Intel Compiler?

I'd assume the performance boosts would be serious, but wondering if there are any known issues + modifications that would need to be made.

Andrew Morrow

Aug 8, 2017, 12:57:08 PM8/8/17
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

I'm not aware of anyone doing so. We don't do so internally. Is icc flag compatible with GCC? Does it support C++14? If so, it probably isn't too hard: there would probably be some build system work required to teach the top level SConstruct about the new compiler, its versions, etc. And then fixing any new warnings or errors that were found while building.

However, it would be difficult for us to merge such changes to master since we would not be in a position to ensure that it continued to work.

If you attempt this, I recommend continuing the discussion on mongodb-dev. If you found significant performance gains that would of course be something interesting to us.

Thanks,
Andrew