Mongodb storageEngine on ARM

Warwick Louw

May 3, 2016, 11:50:38 AM5/3/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I'm having difficulties getting Mongodb running on my RPi2. The install was perfect however when try to run the server I get:

2016-05-03T12:09:48.489+0000 I STORAGE  [initandlisten] exception in initAndListen: 28663 Cannot start server. The default storage engine 'wiredTiger' is not available with this build of mongod. Please specify a different storage engine explicitly, e.g. --storageEngine=mmapv1., terminating
2016-05-03T12:09:48.489+0000 I CONTROL  [initandlisten] dbexit:  rc: 100

With a bit of Googling I created this config file:

 systemLog:
   destination: file
   path: "/var/log/mongodb/mongod.log"
   logAppend: true
net:
   bindIp: 127.0.0.1
   port: 27017
storage:
    mmapv1:
        smallFiles: true
    engine: mmapv1
    journal:
        enabled: true
    dbPath: "/var/db/mongodb/"

 Then running: mongod --config /etc/mongodb.conf

2016-05-03T12:02:56.769+0000 I CONTROL  [initandlisten] options: { config: "/etc/mongodb.conf", net: { bindIp: "127.0.0.1", port: 27017 }, storage: { dbPath: "/var/db/mongodb/", engine: "mmapv1", journal: { enabled: true }, mmapv1: { smallFiles: true } }, systemLog: { destination: "file", logAppend: true, path: "/var/log/mongodb/mongod.log" } }
2016-05-03T12:02:56.978+0000 I STORAGE  [initandlisten] exception in initAndListen: 18656 Cannot start server with an unknown storage engine: mmapv1, terminating

Now I'm afraid I am suck.

 I have tried:
mongod --storageEngine MMAPv1
and:
 mongod --storageEngine mmapv1

But both gave the same results as above.

Please help.

Kind regards,
Warwick

Andrew Morrow

May 3, 2016, 12:50:11 PM5/3/16
to mongod...@googlegroups.com

Hi -

You didn't specify what version of MongoDB you are using, or how you installed it, but I'm going to assume that you built the master branch from source.

I'm not very familiar with the RPi2, but my understanding is that despite using an aarch64 capable core, the user space is still 32-bit.

There are currently no persistent MongoDB storage engines available for 32-bit non-x86 systems, and please note the following caveats:

- 32-bit MongoDB is deprecated as of MongoDB 3.2, and no longer offered on the master branch, which will become MongodB 3.4.

- The only storage engine that works in 32-bit mode is MMAPv1. The WiredTiger storage engine requires 64 bits.

- MMAPv1 is only available on x86 based systems.

On the master branch, you can override this last restriction manually when building MongoDB by passing the --mmapv1=on flag when building from source. However, please note that in 32-bit mode the MMAPv1 storage engine is limited to storing approximately 1GB of data, total. We also do no testing of MMAPv1 on non-x86 platforms.

Thanks,
Andrew

Erik Haubold

May 3, 2016, 4:36:43 PM5/3/16
to mongodb-user
It happens also for me. upgraded my raspberryPi 2 with arch linux via pacman to mongodb 3.2.6, but it worked before with a older 3.2.x version.

and regarding 32/64bits: every raspberry except of the new version 3 has no 64bit support. it's just a cpu only capable of 32bit (actually like most arm boards out there).

Best,
Erik

Warwick Louw

May 3, 2016, 7:26:21 PM5/3/16
to mongodb-user
Thank you for your reply, I am sorry I forgot to mention that it was Mongodb v3.2.6 on Arch Linux. It was installed via pacman.

In that case I'll look for an alternative db for the RPi2's.

Thanks for the help :)