[Cloud Manager] Domain name and SSL certificate for a replicat set

EM

Apr 14, 2016, 4:35:18 PM4/14/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I deployed a replica set on AWS with Cloud Manager with three mongodb server instances.

On AWS, each EC2 instance has a public domain name and a public IP like this:

When I look into the Cloud Manager, the hotnames of my server are:
I own a domain name like example.com, and I want to generate an SSL certificate for this domain to configure SSL on mongodb. But this certificate will be generated for an example.com domain name, and not *.mongodbdns.com. Where, into the Cloud Manager, should I specify to use my own domain names *.example.com instead of *.mongodbdns.com?

Should I also use an Elastic IP for each EC2 instances, and let my domain names *.example.com point to them?

Thank you.

EM

Apr 19, 2016, 7:10:40 AM4/19/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I try to migrate my database from Parse.com on AWS with Mongodb Cloud Manager, and I'm definitely stuck with the SSL configuration. Is there a documentation that shows you how to configure your replicat set with the "Cloud Manager" to use your domain name and your generated SSL?

Thank you.

Markus Thielsch

Apr 19, 2016, 6:02:14 PM4/19/16
to mongodb-user

Hi EM,

As user of the MongoDB Cloud Manager you can always contact MongoDB using our Cloud Support website.

Unfortunately there is no setting in Cloud Manager which let’s you choose the hostnames. The only way of using your own hostnames is to provision the servers manually and then import them into Cloud Manager. Please have a look at how to Add Existing MongoDB Processes to Cloud Manager.

Alternatively you are able to create the SSL certificates and add DNS aliases to your SSL configuration and certificate files after you created them on *.example.com. You might want to have a look at this CAcert Wiki or apetec.com article in regards to this.

As for the question if you should use elastic IP or not I can’t make any recommendation as this depends entirely on your use case and is maybe best asked in the AWS forum.

Regards,
Markus

EM

Apr 20, 2016, 9:47:09 AM4/20/16
to mongodb-user
Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. I will take a look to your links and to try to use my SSL certificates on my MongoDB deployment.

Just in case someone might be interested, I could easily allocate Elastic IPs to each instance of my MongoDB deployment. The changes were automatically reflected into the MongoDB Cloud Manager. This way, the IPs stay the same, even if the the instance need a reboot.

Best regards.