MongoDB on EC2: XFS or EXT4 preferred? Inconsistence in mongo docs?

Matthieu Rigal

May 11, 2016, 12:19:02 PM5/11/16
to mongodb-user
Hi all,

When following this chapter: https://docs.mongodb.com/ecosystem/platforms/amazon-ec2/#manually-deploy-mongodb-on-ec2 we are encouraged to deploy mongo on EC@ using EXT4 filesystem.

But on the following page https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/administration/production-checklist/#operations-checklist it is strongly recommended to use XFS (what we did until now)

XFS is not installed by default, but can be easily added with yum, as specified here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ssd-instance-store.html

Now the question, is still XFS the recommended file systems for all Mongo (especially WiredTiger) deployments? If yes should the docs for EC2 be adjusted?

Best,
Matthieu

Stephen Steneker

Jun 6, 2016, 12:53:29 AM6/6/16
to mongodb-user
Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for pointing this out .. there is indeed a discrepancy in the EC2 deployment examples which should be updated to match the production notes. I've raised https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/DOCS-8028 for this.

As per the production notes, our strong recommendation is to use XFS for WiredTiger deployments as EXT4's journalling may result in periodic stalls (see: SERVER-18314).

Regards,
Stephen