JavaNCSS and JavaNCSS Maven Plugin are dead?

g.h...@aurenz.de

Nov 16, 2017, 6:42:06 AM11/16/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

I recently implemented a default method on an interface.

But it seems that the JavaNCSS Maven plugin version 2.1 (the current one from 02-Oct-2014) doesn't like it.

Seems it (means the JavaNCSS implementation version 33.54 from 31-Jul-2014) doesn't support Java 1.8.

Is that project dead?

Is there a good alternative to the JavaNCSS Maven plugin which you would recommend?

Regards,

Gerrit

Olivier Lamy

Nov 17, 2017, 2:44:28 AM11/17/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
maybe you can propose pull request to fix/upgrade it? :-)

Lennart Jörelid

Dec 2, 2017, 8:06:11 AM12/2/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hello all,

This is (or maybe "was", it was awhile ago that I latest checked in on this issue) a long-standing problem for the Cobertura project and - correspondingly - the Cobertura Maven Plugin.

Cobertura uses the JavaNCSS library, and for that reason it does not play well with Java 8.
Not to mention the Java 9 transition which we are in process of undertaking all over the community.

For that reason - my 2 cents:
  1. The mojo-parent contains an active-by-default profile where cobertura is used. I think we should make that profile inactive by default.
  2. While I really love the usability of the Cobertura coverage reports, since it does not currently support Java 8 or Java 9, we could maybe transition to Clover as a tool for code coverage. Since a few months, Clover is made OpenSource by Atlassian and may hence be a better option. While clover does not support Java 9 yet, it does support Java 8.
So .. we could transition away from projects using JavaNCSS until such time as the JavaNCSS is updated to cope with the latest major Java release.
How do the rest of you feel?

Olivier Lamy

Dec 3, 2017, 6:58:29 PM12/3/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Those days, I feel jacoco to be a more active project.
so maybe time to switch....

Lennart Jörelid

Dec 4, 2017, 1:11:44 AM12/4/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hello Olivier,

Do you mean that you feel Jacoco a more active project than OpenClover or Cobertura?
From a usability perspective, there are certainly differences between the reports of these tools - but are there differences in terms of the coverage checks as well?

+==============================+
| Bästa hälsningar,
| [sw. "Best regards"]
|
| Lennart Jörelid
| EAI Architect & Integrator
|
| jGuru Europe AB
| Mölnlycke - Kista
|
| Email: l...@jguru.se
| Phone
| (skype):    jgurueurope
| (intl):     +46 708 507 603
| (domestic): 0708 - 507 603
+==============================+

Olivier Lamy

Dec 4, 2017, 2:12:44 AM12/4/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I had the feeling cobertura was not really active.
No real idea regarding clover, I didn't follow this project.
TBH not real figures it's just coming from my peanut gallery POV :-)

Lennart Jörelid

Dec 4, 2017, 7:01:58 AM12/4/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Ah.   :)

No worries - when I last did a semi-serious evaluation, my findings were:

  1. Cobertura: Good reporting with clear and intuitively marked source code. Poor update velocity in terms of Java compliance [supports Java 7 only] - mainly due to the internal JavaNCSS dependency.
  2. Clover: Decent reporting with somewhat less clear marked source code (certainly useable, though). Good velocity in terms of Java compliance [supports Java 8 currently].
  3. JaCoCo / EclEmma: Decent reporting with somewhat less clear marked source code (certainly useable, though).  Unknown (to me) project velocity in terms of Java compliance.