Adopting buildplan-maven-plugin

Hervé Boutemy

Apr 23, 2022, 5:26:11 AM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, con...@jeanchristophegay.com
Hello everyone,

Recently, I discovered an incredibly nice Maven plugin to clarify some magic of Maven builds: Buildplan Maven Plugin

This plugin is not useful as part of a build, but on command line: the only issue is that you must configure the groupId in your settings.xml to be able to just run "mvn buildplan:list"
I fear not many people will learn how to do that, particularly those who would really need an easy way to learn how Maven is not completely magic.

Then I contacted the author -- Jean Christophe Gay, a french guy I had the opportunity to meet at Devoxx France 2 days ago :) -- and asked him if he would be interested to join us and move the plugin to MojoHaus: everybody would win from that. He loved the idea.

Then now it's up to you to accept or reject the idea: what do you think?

Regards,

Hervé

Olivier Lamy

Apr 23, 2022, 5:39:24 AM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, con...@jeanchristophegay.com
+1
looks interesting!

Slawomir Jaranowski

Apr 23, 2022, 5:46:08 AM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, con...@jeanchristophegay.com
+1 for adopting
+1 for new maintainer ... :-)

mfried...@gmx.de

Apr 23, 2022, 6:41:44 AM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
+1 for adopting, I already have used this in the past.

Best Regards
Mirko Friedenhagen

Sent from my mobile

Am 23.04.22 um 11:26 schrieb Hervé Boutemy

Oliver B. Fischer

Apr 23, 2022, 12:21:28 PM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, Hervé Boutemy, con...@jeanchristophegay.com

Hi,

being only a normal user of the Maven, so maybe my voice is here not so important. But the plugin seems to very useful for everyone, who would like to analyse his Maven build. It provides very usefull insides.

Bye,

Oliver

Am 23.04.22 um 11:25 schrieb Hervé Boutemy:
N Oliver B. Fischer
A Schönhauser Allee 64, 10437 Berlin, Deutschland/Germany
P +49 30 44793251
M +49 178 7903538
E o.b.f...@swe-blog.net
S oliver.b.fischer
J oliver.b...@jabber.org
X http://xing.to/obf

Arnaud Héritier

Apr 23, 2022, 1:55:50 PM4/23/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, con...@jeanchristophegay.com
It makes sense to me

+1

Arnaud Héritier
Twitter/GitHub/... : aheritier

Hervé Boutemy

Apr 27, 2022, 12:53:10 PM4/27/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, con...@jeanchristophegay.com
good, everybody looks ok: I'll add JC to the MojoHaus team

next question: should we import buildplan-maven-plugin as buildplan-maven-plugin or as bp-maven-plugin?
given it's intended for command line, "mvn bp:list" could be easier to use (even if its full name will remain BuildPlan Maven Plugin)

WDYT?

Regards,

Hervé

Oliver B. Fischer

Apr 27, 2022, 1:04:22 PM4/27/22

Am 27.04.22 um 18:52 schrieb Hervé Boutemy:
> good, everybody looks ok: I'll add JC to the MojoHaus team
>
> next question: should we import buildplan-maven-plugin as
> buildplan-maven-plugin or as bp-maven-plugin?
> given it's intended for command line, "mvn bp:list" could be easier to
> use (even if its full name will remain BuildPlan Maven Plugin)

Is there another plugin, using such a short name? All plugins I know
don't us abbreviations.

Bye,

Oliver

mfried...@gmx.de

Apr 27, 2022, 3:22:37 PM4/27/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would keep the longer name, BP Maven plugin sounds like something producing fossile fuels 😅

Best Regards
Mirko Friedenhagen

Sent from my mobile

Am 27.04.22 um 19:04 schrieb Oliver B. Fischer

Hervé Boutemy

Apr 28, 2022, 2:48:25 AM4/28/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I fully agree with you that I don't want "BP Maven Plugin", that is at best cryptic and at worst a bad company reference
but I still called it "Buildplan Maven Plugin", it's only the command line which would be bp:list
I know, it's unusual to have the id not exactly the same as the full name prefix

Oliver B. Fischer

Jean-Christophe GAY

Apr 30, 2022, 8:56:42 AM4/30/22
to mojohaus-dev
Hi,

Thanks for having me in!
Modifying the goal prefix to use bp:list could be great I think.
I don't really know plugins using such short names either. Isn't there a risk of clash between different plugins ?

Let me know what's next, Hervé .

Bye,
Jc

Hervé Boutemy

May 2, 2022, 12:12:11 PM5/2/22
to Dev, mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I just invited you to the team

on bp-maven-plugin, there is nothing in Central until now https://search.maven.org/search?q=bp-maven-plugin
then no worry on creating one :)

Le sam. 30 avr. 2022 à 14:52, Dev <con...@jeanchristophegay.com> a écrit :
Hi,

Thanks for having me in!
Modifying the goal prefix to use bp:list could be great I think.
I don't really know plugins using such short names either. Isn't there a risk of clash between different plugins ?

Let me know what's next, Hervé 😇.

Bye,
Jc

Hervé Boutemy

May 2, 2022, 12:16:00 PM5/2/22
to Dev, mojoha...@googlegroups.com

Olivier Lamy

May 2, 2022, 5:49:44 PM5/2/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, Dev
Why bp-maven-plugin in git repo whereas the artifactId is buildplan-maven-plugin?
my understanding was we didn't like this bp? (which I agree too :))

Hervé Boutemy

May 3, 2022, 2:12:19 AM5/3/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, Dev
I answered to the few feedback: its full name is "BuildPlan Maven Plugin", even if it's "bp:list"

it seems a more active discussion is happening on the first PR https://github.com/mojohaus/bp-maven-plugin/pull/1
you can drop the fork, rename if you want: I have no problem to people establishing a different consensus to what I did, the most important is that we're bringing JC and his code to the right location :)

JC and rest of the team, floor is yours :)

Olivier Lamy

May 3, 2022, 3:00:19 AM5/3/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, Dev
hehe too many ways of communication :)
I have just renamed the repo.
Maybe JC can now make the transfer?

Benjamin Marwell

May 4, 2022, 2:45:02 AM5/4/22
to mojohaus-dev
Or even better:
Make the new fork in Mojohaus the new primary repo. Don't delete or transfer anything. Opened an issue to get your attention. Brian did the same with maven-wrapper. Advantage: you can edit the readme on the old one and then archive it.

Olivier Lamy

May 4, 2022, 2:53:37 AM5/4/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 16:45, Benjamin Marwell <bmar...@apache.org> wrote:
Or even better:
Make the new fork in Mojohaus the new primary repo. Don't delete or transfer anything. Opened an issue to get your attention. Brian did the same with maven-wrapper. Advantage: you can edit the readme on the old one and then archive it.

Which option can preserve current issues and PRs from the original repo?

Jean-Christophe GAY

May 4, 2022, 2:59:45 PM5/4/22
to mojohaus-dev

But issue links in commits in the fork are correctly redirecting to the original repository, so that the history is still readable and intact 👍

Andreas Sewe

May 4, 2022, 4:32:08 PM5/4/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hervé Boutemy wrote:
> I fully agree with you that I don't want "BP Maven Plugin", that is at
> best cryptic and at worst a bad company reference
> but I still called it "Buildplan Maven Plugin", it's only the command
> line which would be bp:list
> I know, it's unusual to have the id not exactly the same as the full
> name prefix

Just 2 cents from a regular Maven user:

There is another place where the shortened name may prove cryptic: in
your <pluginManagement> section.

To ensure reproducibility, I use <pluginManagement> to also fix versions
for plugins that I only use from the command line, the
versions-maven-plugin being the prime example. And there, reading
something like bp-maven-plugin will make the casual reader go "huh",
whereas buildplan-maven-plugin is totally obvious.

Hence, I would very much prefer the slightly longer name. buildplan:list
is not that bad.

Best wishes,

Andreas
OpenPGP_signature

Olivier Lamy

May 5, 2022, 1:17:29 AM5/5/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 04:59, Jean-Christophe GAY <gay.jch...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm for transfer especially to keep issues.
but if you prefer start a new life and forgot about all the previous issues it's up2u 🤣

Hervé Boutemy

May 5, 2022, 4:54:30 AM5/5/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
ok, I'll drop the current fork and let's have JC do the transfer

Olivier Lamy

May 5, 2022, 5:50:57 AM5/5/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
sounds good.
But to do the transfer you need to be part of the owner team of the target organisation (e.g mojohaus).
Do we want everybody to be an owner?
Maybe ask JC to be admin of the source repository to do the transfer yourself?

Hervé Boutemy

May 5, 2022, 10:53:33 AM5/5/22
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I'll work with JC to check who can do the job

Jean-Christophe GAY

May 5, 2022, 11:09:14 AM5/5/22
to mojohaus-dev
I've just done the transfer 🎇 : https://github.com/mojohaus/buildplan-maven-plugin