xml-maven-plugin poke

Ross Lamont

Aug 10, 2017, 1:00:54 AM8/10/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hi folks,

What's the process around getting pull requests processed for a plugin?  I've made some improvements/fixes to xml-maven-plugin, and I have a few more to add after this lot have made it to the master.

Hope I'm not being too impatient!

Cheers
Ross Lamont

Jochen Wiedmann

Aug 12, 2017, 5:35:22 AM8/12/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Ross Lamont

> What's the process around getting pull requests processed for a plugin?
> I've made some improvements/fixes to xml-maven-plugin, and I have a few more
> to add after this lot have made it to the master.
>
> Hope I'm not being too impatient!

If you are referring to

https://github.com/mojohaus/xml-maven-plugin/pull/18

Here's what I think about it:

* Modifies 20 files, which is way too much for a single pull request.
* The PR's intention is unclear. At least the title definitely is:
"Issue #16, #17 and #20 test cases and fixes" Now, which is it?

Jochen

Ross Lamont

Aug 13, 2017, 7:38:26 PM8/13/17
to mojohaus-dev
OK.

1. I've closed that pull request, reverted my changes to the original commit and created a new PR.
2. The description of the new PR is clearer I think, it fixes 2 pretty simple issues.
3. In this PR there is only 1 substantial file changed, but because test cases in this project tend to require a number of files, there are quite a few new files.  That seems to be the nature of the project.

Ross Lamont

Aug 23, 2017, 5:27:54 PM8/23/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hi Jochen,

I have updated git to better fit what you require:

The PR only fixes one issue now, issue #16.  I have described the fix in more detail in the PR.

Ross

Ross Lamont

Aug 23, 2017, 5:29:05 PM8/23/17
to mojohaus-dev
Sorry, forgot to add, its pull request:

Mykola Nikishov

Aug 24, 2017, 6:50:15 AM8/24/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Ross Lamont <ross.la...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have updated git to better fit what you require:
>
> The PR only fixes one issue now, issue #16. I have described the fix in
> more detail in the PR.

Let me quote [0]:

A project’s long-term success rests (among other things) on its
maintainability, and a maintainer has few tools more powerful than
his project’s log.

If I were you, I would squash current 5 commits [1] into a single one
and explain, right in the commit message, why these changes are needed.

[0] https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
[1] https://github.com/mojohaus/xml-maven-plugin/pull/22/commits

--
Mykola
https://manandbytes.github.io/

Jochen Wiedmann

Aug 24, 2017, 11:25:55 AM8/24/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Ross Lamont <ross.la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have updated git to better fit what you require:
>
> The PR only fixes one issue now, issue #16. I have described the fix in
> more detail in the PR.

Hi, Ross,

I am on vacation right now, with no Laptop, or the like. Please have
the patience to wait for another three weeks, or the like.

Thanks,

Karl Heinz Marbaise

Aug 26, 2017, 3:38:16 PM8/26/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hi,

here are others who could help on that...

apart from that of course thanks so far for the help of Jochen...and happy holiday...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Ross Lamont

Sep 18, 2017, 8:06:21 PM9/18/17
to mojohaus-dev
First, thanks to all for your comments and help getting my first PR through.

I have another pull request out there ready for integration, and yet another which I have not submitted as it really depends on the first one going through.  Should I submit the extra pull request now or wait until my outstanding pull request has gone through?

Jochen Wiedmann

Jan 5, 2018, 10:23:51 AM1/5/18
to mojohaus-dev

As you are a committer now, Ross, you can do the work for yourself. Should be quicker and easier than going through a PR.

Jochen

Ross Lamont

Jan 7, 2018, 6:09:09 PM1/7/18
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jochen,

It’s summer holidays here and I am looking after the kids, so I will have restricted time to work on this for a few weeks, plus I want to rework my PR anyway, so expect a few delays to activity from me.

Best and Happy New Year
Ross