[VOTE] Migration from travis to GitHub Actions

Karl Heinz Marbaise

Jun 2, 2020, 12:43:25 PM6/2/20
to mojohaus-dev

Hi,

currently I'm working the subject to replace the travis build with GitHub actions:

https://github.com/mojohaus/mojo-parent/issues/114

Replace the CI tooling with GitHub actions

* Building with different JDK's (8,11,13,14)

* Building on different platforms Linux, Windows, MacOS

* Add site generation which supports release sites (https://www.mojohaus.org/mojo-parent/) as well as snapshot state (https://www.mojohaus.org/mojo-parent/snapshot/)

  * By each build on master the site will be generated. That means also the site generation is tested (like javadoc etc.).

* Add generation of release notes which is triggered by closing milestone on GitHub.

After I have done that for mojo-parent I would like to go plugin after plugin to change the builds for each plugins as well...

WDYT?

I would like to make it lazy consensus  VOTE within 72 h

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

    Stephanie Wang

    Jun 2, 2020, 12:53:07 PM6/2/20
    to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
    SGTM!

    Stephanie Wang

    stephwang@google.com

    Developer Programs Engineer

    BigQuery, Java

    mfried...@gmx.de

    Jun 2, 2020, 3:00:02 PM6/2/20
    to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
    Hello Karl Heinz,

    while I am not against moving to GitHub actions, doing a lazy 72h consensus seems a little short for me here ☺️
    Best Regards
    Mirko Friedenhagen

    Sent from my mobile

    Am 02.06.20 um 18:43 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise

      Jochen Wiedmann

      Jun 2, 2020, 7:06:38 PM6/2/20
      to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
      On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <goo...@soebes.de> wrote:

      > After I have done that for mojo-parent I would like to go plugin after plugin to change the builds for each plugins as well...
      >

      > WDYT?

      While I am generally in favour of your proposal, I'd prefer to see one
      plugin migrated first, without any changes in parent.

      Jochen

      --

      Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
      you break 'em.

      -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)

      Olivier Lamy

      Jun 2, 2020, 9:03:34 PM6/2/20
      to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
      looks good to me to move forward

      Oliver B. Fischer

      Jun 2, 2020, 11:14:20 PM6/2/20
      to mojoha...@googlegroups.com, Karl Heinz Marbaise

      Karl Heinz Marbaise

      Jun 3, 2020, 6:22:24 AM6/3/20
      to mojohaus-dev

      On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 1:06:38 AM UTC+2, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
      On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Karl Heinz Marbaise <goo...@soebes.de> wrote:

      > After I have done that for mojo-parent I would like to go plugin after plugin to change the builds for each plugins as well...
      >

      > WDYT?

      While I am generally in favour of your proposal, I'd prefer to see one
      plugin migrated first, without any changes in parent.

      What would be the advantage? Of course you can do that if you like...but I will go first with mojo-parent to upgrade a lot of plugins (https://github.com/mojohaus/mojo-parent/issues?q=is%3Aclosed+milestone%3Amojo-parent-60) and release process, changelong generation, page generation etc. furthermore I don't want to add all these plugin updates to a plugins configuration
      and polluting that and afterwards cleaning up (and do the work in parent a second time)...duplicating work.

      Furthermore I wan't to make releasing consistent over all plugins which will not really work if I start at the plugins level (waste of time; I don't want to waste that time I have).

      Afterwards a step would be to go JDK8+ for the parent and afterwards the plugins as well...
      Kind regards
      Karl Heinz Marbaise

      Anders Hammar

      Jun 3, 2020, 6:34:34 AM6/3/20
      to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
      How's the release site part supposed to work? Won't releases still be done manually outside of Github Actions?

      Also, every build on master cannot (must not) overwrite the site for the current (latest) release. But maybe to some kind of "staging" space?

      /Anders

      Karl Heinz Marbaise

      Jun 3, 2020, 6:48:56 AM6/3/20
      to mojohaus-dev
      On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 12:34:34 PM UTC+2, Anders Hammar wrote:
      How's the release site part supposed to work? Won't releases still be done manually outside of Github Actions?

      Also, every build on master cannot (must not) overwrite the site for the current (latest) release. But maybe to some kind of "staging" space?

      The current state is based on the idea to keep the release process on your local machine (technically it can be changed to put on GitHub actions with the problem gpg signing artifacts and putting your key on a remote machine?; That a complete different story).

      The release will be made as usual from your local machine. No change. After made a release you have to close the appropriate milestone  (which will trigger the change log generation).

      So the release build will create the artifacts as well as deploy the generated site via maven-scm-publish-plugin to github pages like before https://www.mojohaus.org/mojo-parent/ and furthermore opens the option
      Github action. So having simple solution to have snapshot state as well as release state on github pages...

      Kind regards
      Karl Heinz Marbaise

      /Anders

[...]

        Karl Heinz Marbaise

        Karl Heinz Marbaise

        Jun 4, 2020, 12:39:44 PM6/4/20
        to mojohaus-dev

        On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:14:20 AM UTC+2, Oliver B. Fischer wrote:

        Hi,

        I have some buildjobs based on GH Actions and mostly they work pretty well. The only problem sometimes is that they can't access Maven Central.

        Can you explain the part  "The only problem sometimes is that they can't access Maven Central." ?

        I've seen a lot of issues with central on travis also ...

        Kind regards
        Karl Heinz Marbaise

        But I don't see a major difference to Travis.

        Oliver

        Am 02.06.20 um 18:43 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:

        > Hi,
        >

        > currently I'm working the subject to replace the travis build with GitHub actions:
        >

        > https://github.com/mojohaus/mojo-parent/issues/114
        >

        > Replace the CI tooling with GitHub actions
        >
        > * Building with different JDK's (8,11,13,14)
        >
        > * Building on different platforms Linux, Windows, MacOS
        >
        > * Add site generation which supports release sites (https://www.mojohaus.org/mojo-parent/) as well as snapshot state (https://www.mojohaus.org/mojo-parent/snapshot/)
        >
        >   * By each build on master the site will be generated. That means also the site generation is tested (like javadoc etc.).
        >
        > * Add generation of release notes which is triggered by closing milestone on GitHub.
        >

        > After I have done that for mojo-parent I would like to go plugin after plugin to change the builds for each plugins as well...
        >

        > WDYT?
        >
        > I would like to make it lazy consensus  VOTE within 72 h
        >

        > Kind regards
        > Karl Heinz Marbaise

        Karl Heinz Marbaise

        Jun 4, 2020, 12:43:11 PM6/4/20
        to mojohaus-dev
        Hi,

        On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 9:00:02 PM UTC+2, Mirko Friedenhagen wrote:
        Hello Karl Heinz,

        while I am not against moving to GitHub actions, doing a lazy 72h consensus seems a little short for me here ☺️

        What in your point of view a appropriate time ?

        mfried...@gmx.de

        Jun 4, 2020, 2:53:04 PM6/4/20
        to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
        Hi,

        I think for bigger technical decisions one week would be more appropriate, i.e. 7 days, what do you think?

        Best Regards
        Mirko Friedenhagen

        Sent from my mobile

        Am 04.06.20 um 18:43 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise

        Von: "Karl Heinz Marbaise" <goo...@soebes.de>
        Datum: 4. Juni 2020
        An: mojohaus-dev <mojoha...@googlegroups.com>
        Betreff: Re: [VOTE] Migration from travis to GitHub Actions
        Hi,

        On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 9:00:02 PM UTC+2, Mirko Friedenhagen wrote:
        Hello Karl Heinz,

        while I am not against moving to GitHub actions, doing a lazy 72h consensus seems a little short for me here ☺ï¸

        —
        Sent from my mobile

        Am 02.06.20 um 18:43 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Jun 30, 2020, 3:18:00 PM6/30/20
          to mojohaus-dev
          Hi,

          based on the time which run by my assumption is that there is no objection about this?

          Kind regards
          Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Anders Hammar

          Jun 30, 2020, 6:25:01 PM6/30/20
          to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
          When you say that for each build on master the site is built, is it published to the snapshot area? Or just built but not published?

          /Anders (mobile)

          mfried...@gmx.de

          Jul 1, 2020, 12:48:38 AM7/1/20
          to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
          Hello Karl-Heinz,

          My +1, please go ahead. Right now I am unable to publish the extra-enforcer-rules' site so testing the site phase is essential, so that would be great.

          Best Regards
          Mirko Friedenhagen

          Sent from my mobile

          Am 30.06.20 um 21:17 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Von: "Karl Heinz Marbaise" <goo...@soebes.de>
          Datum: 30. Juni 2020
          An: "mojohaus-dev" <mojoha...@googlegroups.com>

          Arnaud Héritier

          Jul 1, 2020, 2:13:04 AM7/1/20
          to mojoha...@googlegroups.com

          Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Jul 5, 2020, 9:15:25 AM7/5/20
          to mojohaus-dev
          The master build will always published to the site /snapshot to separate the release and the master state...

          Kind regards
          Karl Heinz Marbaise
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mojoha...@googlegroups.com.

          Anders Hammar

          Jul 5, 2020, 9:37:21 AM7/5/20
          to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
          Great, sounds good to me then.

          /Anders (mobile)

          To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mojohaus-dev/15c001ac-36a1-4cdf-93a8-05a82a3ac5edo%40googlegroups.com.

          Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Jul 5, 2020, 4:08:21 PM7/5/20
          to mojohaus-dev
          Hi, will try several plugins with the new parent (60-SNAPSHOT) locally before I will finally make a release cause I expect that I find things which do not work.

          So don't be astonished that I open issues related to mojo-parent upgrade an issue...on several mojo haus projects...

          Kind regards
          Karl Heinz Marbaise

          mfried...@gmx.de

          Jul 6, 2020, 3:52:21 AM7/6/20
          to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
          Hi Karl Heinz,

          no worries, better CI support is great to have.

          Best Regards
          Mirko Friedenhagen

          Sent from my mobile

          Am 05.07.20 um 22:08 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise

          Von: "Karl Heinz Marbaise" <goo...@soebes.de>
          Datum: 5. Juli 2020
          An: "mojohaus-dev" <mojoha...@googlegroups.com>

          joerg.h...@googlemail.com

          Nov 13, 2020, 3:58:46 AM11/13/20
          to mojohaus-dev
          Hi there,

          any updates on the status of this?
          In other OSS projects, I have fully automated builds with encrypted credentials so no local build is required and side-effects are prevented (from local interference, dirty repos, file locks, OS differences with Windows vs. Linux).
          With mojohaus the release build is extra-ordinary tricky and full of manual steps so if you only have to do it once a year, you will suffer each time as you forgot the magic tricks.
          Yes, there are instructions how to do it but they never worked for me as documented.

          Further, travis build is already broken for several plugins as Java 1.7 and 1.8 are unsupported:
          Expected feature release number in range of 9 to 16, but got: 8 The command "~/bin/install-jdk.sh --target "/home/travis/oraclejdk8" --workspace "/home/travis/.cache/install-jdk" --feature "8" --license "BCL"" failed and exited with 3 during .

          I did not yet get the real benefits of moving from travis to github actions. I see much more potential by improving the build and process itself by simplification and automation.
          BTW: I also tried github actions with github packages and after many days wasted, I figured out with the github support, that github packages ignored maven repository conventions (e.g. SNAPSHOTS do not work at all, etc.) and created something that is more or less not working for the maven ecosystem...

          However, I am happy for all kind of improvements and as long as it works properly (and is tested with a first plugin before migrating all of them at the same time as already suggested by Jochen).

          Cheers
            Jörg