Adoption of the native2ascii maven plugin (Codehaus)

David Matějček

Sep 10, 2017, 3:35:05 PM9/10/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hi,

some time ago I have rewritten the native2ascii maven plugin. I was contacted several times to publish it on Maven Central servers. The Codehaus is dead now (2017) ... can I still use the same POM id? Who is the authority to answer this question? License is unchanged.

  <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
  <artifactId>native2ascii-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.0.1</version>
  <packaging>maven-plugin</packaging>

New home of the plugin:
https://github.com/dmatej/native2ascii

David.

David Matějček

Sep 10, 2017, 4:01:29 PM9/10/17
to mojohaus-dev
The second option (maybe much better) is that my repository would move to Mojohaus and I will be somehow responsible for this plugin ... (there is not much work on it, only to publish and maybe to create some site for the plugin).

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 11, 2017, 4:53:19 AM9/11/17
to noreply-spamdigest via mojohaus-dev
Definitely the second option makes a lot of sense. This plugin was not reimported because nobody bothered filing the associated PR.

I think we should simply move your repo into the org.

The second option (maybe much better) is that my repository would move to Mojohaus and I will be somehow responsible for this plugin ... (there is not much work on it, only to publish and maybe to create some site for the plugin).

David Matějček

Sep 12, 2017, 6:46:40 AM9/12/17
to mojohaus-dev
So ... GitHub wants only to tell "New owner’s GitHub username or organization name" - I expect the name is MojoHaus
Can I still push to it then? (GitHub says yes)
How about deploy of the final version? How is it managed under the Mojohaus? Will it make it to the Maven Central and when? It seems it passes conditions, but I have no experience with this process.

Thanks for responses ;)

On Monday, 11 September 2017 10:53:19 UTC+2, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
Definitely the second option makes a lot of sense. This plugin was not reimported because nobody bothered filing the associated PR.

I think we should simply move your repo into the org.
The second option (maybe much better) is that my repository would move to Mojohaus and I will be somehow responsible for this plugin ... (there is not much work on it, only to publish and maybe to create some site for the plugin).

Anders Hammar

Sep 14, 2017, 9:07:24 AM9/14/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
David,

The MojoHaus organization already exists. If you send us your Github user id we can grant you privs so you can create repo and import.

Wrt to deploying release you should follow the MojoHaus development guideline [1] and release process [2] including voting. We'd appreciate if you could respond that you're ok with that as even if you might be the only developer on this specific mojo, we'd like all mojos to follow the same process. It will also make sure the release is synced to central.

/Anders

David Matějček

Sep 17, 2017, 3:53:26 PM9/17/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I know that MojoHaus exists and I already wrote my GitHub id: dmatej :-)
After you give me permission to transfer the repo ownership, only I can do it as GitHub says here: https://help.github.com/articles/transferring-a-repository-owned-by-your-personal-account/
And here:
Inline images 1
I have no problem with MojoHaus rules.

David.

Anders Hammar

Sep 18, 2017, 12:33:04 AM9/18/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I've sent an invitation in Github.

Welcome,
/Anders

David Matějček

Sep 18, 2017, 1:50:14 AM9/18/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com

David Matějček

Sep 22, 2017, 12:41:16 PM9/22/17
to mojohaus-dev
Hi again,

I have an issue here - I have no access to the settings of the native2ascii so I cannot set the Travis CI (and other things).
Also I would like to move the project to the release - now I have tested it with JDK7, 8 and 9, it seems it still works.

Thanks for help.

David.

Anders Hammar

Sep 25, 2017, 2:45:33 AM9/25/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM, David Matějček <dmat...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an issue here - I have no access to the settings of the native2ascii so I cannot set the Travis CI (and other things).

Not sure what you mean. Do you need acces in Travis or is it something in Github you can't do?
Idon't know have Travis is handled.

Also I would like to move the project to the release - now I have tested it with JDK7, 8 and 9, it seems it still works.

First, I think we should rename the repo to 'native2ascii-maven-plugin' rather than just 'native2ascii'. Then we should do at least one pre-release.

/Anders

Thanks for help.

David.

David Matějček

Sep 25, 2017, 5:05:53 AM9/25/17
to mojohaus-dev
It is the same problem - I am not authorized to do that now (rename repo) because I am not in the Owners group: https://github.com/orgs/mojohaus/people
I do have access to Travis but I am not allowed to authorize Travis to use MojoHause's project and build it.

More here: https://help.github.com/articles/repository-permission-levels-for-an-organization/

On Monday, 25 September 2017 08:45:33 UTC+2, Anders Hammar wrote:
On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM, David Matějček <dmat...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an issue here - I have no access to the settings of the native2ascii so I cannot set the Travis CI (and other things).

Not sure what you mean. Do you need acces in Travis or is it something in Github you can't do?
Idon't know have Travis is handled.

Also I would like to move the project to the release - now I have tested it with JDK7, 8 and 9, it seems it still works.

First, I think we should rename the repo to 'native2ascii-maven-plugin' rather than just 'native2ascii'. Then we should do at least one pre-release.

/Anders

Thanks for help.

David.

Anders Hammar

Sep 25, 2017, 8:05:29 AM9/25/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
I've renamed the repo for you. Wrt to owner role I'm not sure how we typically do that. I see that there are quite a few people with member role. Could some other dev comment?

I *think* I've now authorized Travis to use the github repo.

/Anders

David Matějček

Sep 27, 2017, 3:36:40 AM9/27/17
to mojohaus-dev
Thanks, I will commit some Travis configuration to run the build.

I am in Owners Team but I don't have Owners role ... and I was owner of the repository until I migrated ... and it seems it is even more complicated: MojoHaus has 88 repositories but only 83 is under the Owners Team; There is also 33 from 37 users including me, but only 30 from 37 users have the Owners role in MojoHaus. It seems like an inconsistency between the Owners team and the Owners role but I don't know the consequences.

The only problem I see is that I cannot edit the settings of the Native2ascii-maven-plugin repository ...

So I will repeat your question: Could some other dev comment?

David. :-)

David Matějček

Oct 9, 2017, 2:14:32 PM10/9/17
to mojohaus-dev
It seems nobody's interested.

Today I updated pom.xml to use the mojo-parent, fixed some requirements and tried to deploy. Now I can login (401 has gone) but I have no rights to deploy to codehaus group in snapshot repository (HTTP 403).
What should I do now?

Thanks,

David.

Anders Hammar

Oct 9, 2017, 3:24:33 PM10/9/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Where is it that you can log in?
For the deployment you need privs at oss.sonatype.org. For that I can file a ticket to Sonatype to set that up. But first you need to create an account which I believe you do via JIRA. Basically it's these instrcutions that apply:
But we will not request a new project setup but you to be added to the existing mojohaus project.

Please let me know your Sonatype JIRA account and I'll take it from there.

/Anders

David Matějček

Oct 9, 2017, 3:33:03 PM10/9/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I already have an account: https://issues.sonatype.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=dmatej
aka David Matějček

One question about the documentation - is it needed to create the whole src/main/site infrastructure if the documentation is already on GitHub and GitHub is now plugin's home? It seems to me as useless work ...

David.

Dne 9.10.2017 v 21:24 Anders Hammar napsal(a):
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mojohaus-dev" group.

Anders Hammar

Oct 9, 2017, 3:53:06 PM10/9/17
to mojoha...@googlegroups.com
Wrt teh docs I don't know. All mojos so far har sites so I think we should for this one as well. One of the benefits of these maven sites is that they follow the same structure so it's easy to find the info you're looking for. You could keep the wiki for...well, wiki purposes, and link to it for examples etc (or what you have in the wiki).

/Anders

David Matějček

Dec 30, 2017, 4:09:30 PM12/30/17
to mojohaus-dev

One of the benefits of these maven sites is that they follow the same structure so it's easy to find the info you're looking for. You could keep the wiki for...well, wiki purposes, and link to it for examples etc (or what you have in the wiki).

The problem is that I could not find any MojoHaus example for maven plugins. But I updated the plugin's site ... https://github.com/mojohaus/native2ascii-maven-plugin/commit/b2a1b1a4327adab991c21956c36e7352407f221c

Now I think it is the time for the release after all those years. Better to name it 2.0.0 because the 1.0.0-alpha version is incompatible with 1.0.0-beta and this version covers scenarios of both predecessors and is radically changed and I think much more consistent.
I don't expect the plugin would need changes for a long time, because it is used in one company for message bundles for several years without changes. But I might be mistaken. I know about other people using the alpha or beta release.

So I will start with this part :-)

Thanks,

David.