Modwsgi EOL Versions?

Symphoni

Dec 16, 2020, 3:24:39 PM12/16/20
to modwsgi
Hi all, I am trying to find out if there are any end-of-life versions for modwsgi, and if so, when do these versions typically become EOL/unsupported? Thanks.

Graham Dumpleton

Dec 16, 2020, 5:02:35 PM12/16/20
to mod...@googlegroups.com

> On 17 Dec 2020, at 3:08 am, 'Symphoni' via modwsgi <mod...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I am trying to find out if there are any end-of-life versions for modwsgi, and if so, when do these versions typically become EOL/unsupported? Thanks.

What are your expectations around what "supported" means?

When there are bug fixes for mod_wsgi they are only ever applied to the latest version. So if you encounter a bug in an older version of mod_wsgi which can be fixed, you would have to upgrade to the latest version of mod_wsgi with that fix to get it, unless you are going to back port the patch yourself.

This is complicated of course by Linux distributions which package mod_wsgi.

For packages created by Linux distributions no one back ports general fixes for them either. It is a myth that just because a Linux distribution has a package for something that it means it is supported.

The only Linux distribution that comes even close to supporting their packaging of mod_wsgi is Red Hat, but even then, the only thing they would back port is a security fix if one ever arose. Just because you are a paying customer for Red Hat doesn't mean they will back port general fixes for you. Expect even less from other Linux distributions.

Linux distributions also don't really provide any general assistance in helping you to use their mod_wsgi package either, with the very narrow exception perhaps where the problem is caused by their packaging (rpm, deb etc). If you ask a Linux distribution about using their packaged version of mod_wsgi, they will always send you upstream, that is to me.

So in effect, any system package for mod_wsgi provided by a Linux distributions is unsupported, and those which are tied to a LTS release of a Linux distribution are often the worst as they are usually old versions.

The preferred way of installing mod_wsgi these days is using 'pip install' method so the version can be pinned within a Python requirements.txt file for your project and it can be easily updated. Avoid system packages for mod_wsgi, and try and avoid the older way of building from source (configure/make/make install). For ease of use, mod_wsgi-express is best way to use mod_wsgi, but the 'pip install' method of installation can still be integrated with a system Apache installation if need be.

That all said, what are you hoping to learn by asking the question and what is the issue you are trying to address?

Graham

Symphoni Bush - NOAA Affiliate

Dec 17, 2020, 8:53:43 AM12/17/20
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I basically want to know which versions receive security patches.

Graham Dumpleton

Dec 17, 2020, 9:24:44 PM12/17/20
to mod...@googlegroups.com
For packages provided by Linux distributions, that is really up to them.

For original source code, only the latest version would be patched, no back porting to old versions is done.

Graham

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "modwsgi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/modwsgi/CAA5fwB7hCP3iTWA6tEuKt%3Dh7ThCaCZ1yjuX1RX0A%3DJcOpnPXog%40mail.gmail.com.