Looking for cross-platform syncing solution. Windows?

adam wilson

Oct 22, 2014, 6:03:56 PM10/22/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com

I'm looking for a cross-platform data syncing solution and Couchbase Lite looks like a winner atm, with Sync Gateway handling restriction of data between users.
I am currently developing an iOS and Android app, but also looking to build a desktop app that will share / use the same data. OSX is covered with Couchbase Lite iOS version, however I want to know that I can also build something for Windows and possibly also Linux.

I am building the app using JUCE C++ framework, and so most of the code will be shared across platforms apart from platform-specific stuff. I am not sure if the C# or Java versions would be better to include in a Windows project?

Any chance of a C/C++ port of Couchbase Lite?

Jens Alfke

Oct 23, 2014, 12:23:02 AM10/23/14

On Oct 22, 2014, at 3:03 PM, adam wilson <adam.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am building the app using JUCE C++ framework, and so most of the code will be shared across platforms apart from platform-specific stuff. I am not sure if the C# or Java versions would be better to include in a Windows project?

I'm guessing C# would be better on Windows, since the runtime and class libraries are already installed, vs. Java where you'd have to have users install a JRE download.

Any chance of a C/C++ port of Couchbase Lite?

Nope :) To be honest, I went through this decision when I started writing the original code back in 2011, and I immediately ruled out C++ because my previous experience developing in it told me that it would bog down in complexity and confusing compiler errors. (And yes, I have developed large C++ projects before.)

Currently my big hope for cross-platform client development is that Apple will open-source Swift and it'll be ported to other OSs. Or that Mozilla's Rust language will finally be finished and work as well as it promises to.

—Jens

Zack Gramana

Oct 23, 2014, 12:30:23 AM10/23/14
to <mobile-couchbase@googlegroups.com>
Well, being the .NET guy on the team, I'll mention that you have the benefit of using Couchbase Lite for .NET on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, and Linux. If that's what you're looking for, then you immediately reuse your C# or F# code across all of the above platforms.

adam wilson

Oct 25, 2014, 4:02:57 AM10/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jens. Yes, probably C# best for Windows, although from what Zachary says below it seems worth investigating the use of the .NET port for other platforms too..

I hear you about C++ - although JUCE is a great framework, after working with C#, Ruby and Javascript, the complexity of C++ can really bog things down. Although some of the new features of C++11 are nice. The reason I am using C++ is that I'm working on cross-platform audio software.

I'm also really interested in Rust, it looks really promising, I actually posted about it a few weeks ago on the JUCE forum but got no response. I guess its all about how widely it gets adopted.

And - Apple open-sourcing Swift, would be great! Have a feeling they would prefer to keep the gates locked on their walled garden...

adam wilson

Oct 25, 2014, 4:08:05 AM10/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Zachary, that sounds promising. I've not seen examples of including C# in C++ projects, at least not within Xcode, my current development environment. I've used Mono in the past, so I guess its possible. It would be nice not to have to write wrappers for each platform. I will have a look, although if you have any links to examples that would be greatly appreciated.

Zack Gramana

Oct 25, 2014, 1:26:11 PM10/25/14
to <mobile-couchbase@googlegroups.com>
You can write native C# iOS and Android apps using Xamarin: http://www.xamarin.com/.

(I actually started work on CBL.NET when I was working at Xamarin a year ago, in the interest of full disclosure.)

Interestingly, one of the more well known .NET community members, Frank Krueger, has already started implementing Swift on .NET (https://github.com/praeclarum/SwiftSharp).

adam wilson

Oct 25, 2014, 3:03:31 PM10/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Zack, I've looked at Xamarin before, and it certainly looks worth trying out. One question, I saw Couchbase-Lite in the "Components" section of the website, and one of the reviews from July says:
"Still waiting for a working replication solution (iOS at least).
That was for version 0.9 - can you confirm if this is fixed on the latest version? Might be worth adding a comment if thats possible to make other potential users aware.

Zack Gramana

Oct 25, 2014, 3:21:54 PM10/25/14
to <mobile-couchbase@googlegroups.com>
Yeah I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

I think I will do just that.

If you ever run into any issues, just ping me here or on our new mobile forum: http://forums.couchbase.com/c/mobile/

dyowee

Oct 25, 2014, 7:09:05 PM10/25/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
I think the one for Windows 8 is not yet out :(

Jens Alfke

Oct 25, 2014, 8:05:45 PM10/25/14
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:02:57 AM UTC-7, adam wilson wrote:
And - Apple open-sourcing Swift, would be great! Have a feeling they would prefer to keep the gates locked on their walled garden…

Apple already open-sources the Clang C/C++ compiler, and its other many contributions to LLVM. Almost all of Apple's toolchain below the GUI level is open source (as is much of its core OS code.)

Releasing an existing corporate project as open source can take a fair amount of work, actually (as I know from experience). I can well believe they've been focusing on the technical aspects of getting to 1.0 before starting any process to take it open source.

—Jens

Zack Gramana

Oct 25, 2014, 11:20:16 PM10/25/14
to <mobile-couchbase@googlegroups.com>
Windows 8 is out now, as I just commuted up a WPF sample app that uses the Nuget package.

What is not yet supported is Windows Runtime aka Windows Store aka Metro Apps. That requires rewriting about 20% of the current .NET code base.

dyowee

Oct 26, 2014, 6:31:22 PM10/26/14
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks sir. Sorry, I meant for Windows Store Apps