CBL on tvOS?

Todd Freese

Mar 7, 2018, 8:03:49 PM3/7/18
to Couchbase Mobile
Can anyone comment on using CBL on an AppleTV? (tvOS) We are using 1.4x of CBL.

How well does it work? Any known issues?

Todd

Traun Leyden

Mar 8, 2018, 11:32:29 AM3/8/18
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
I can say that I witnessed it being tested on actual hardware (Jens literally brought an AppleTV into the office!)

I've been meaning to try it myself, but haven't had a chance yet.  I don't think it was popular enough to get on the officially supported product radar though, so the upgrade path to CBL 2.0 will probably require some effort on your part.  Or maybe it will be trivial to rebuild, since you might be able to drop in Couchbase Lite as an embedded/nested xcode project.

Please report anything you find!

Jens Alfke

Mar 8, 2018, 12:47:38 PM3/8/18
to Couchbase Mobile

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 8:32 AM, Traun Leyden <traun....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it was popular enough to get on the officially supported product radar though, so the upgrade path to CBL 2.0 will probably require some effort on your part.

It's officially supported for 1.x, but not for 2.0 currently, as we didn't see enough usage.

Literally the only change I had to make in the 1.x sources to support AppleTV was to use a different default filesystem path for databases — IIRC, on AppleTV the Documents directory is the only place an app can write to.

To build 2.0 for tvOS, I think you'd just have to edit the Architecture build setting to add the tvOS platform, then select tvOS in the scheme editor and build.

—Jens

Todd Freese

Mar 8, 2018, 6:05:25 PM3/8/18
to Couchbase Mobile
Thanks. We are using 1.4x so I will give it a shot.