What is replication in couchbase mobile?

vidya jejurkar

Oct 13, 2016, 7:58:58 AM10/13/16
to Couchbase Mobile
I am trying to add couch-base in my Android application for offline storage. Data gets added into database but i am confused how to send data on server when server is down?
we are using AWS server so Is offline storage can be completed using only couch-base lite or Sync gateway also needed?
Please need help

James Nocentini

Oct 13, 2016, 9:16:40 AM10/13/16
to Couchbase Mobile
Hi Vidya,

Couchbase Lite is a standalone embedded database. You can use Couchbase Lite as a local database in your Android app. To Get Started with Couchbase Lite (CBL) on Android you can follow the code here to persist a simple document to the database http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/1.3/installation/android/index.html#getting-started

Then, if you wish to sync data to the server-side (to share data between users perhaps) you can use Sync Gateway + Couchbase Server. To synchronize data with your Sync Gateway instance running on AWS you can follow the Replications guide http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/1.3/develop/guides/couchbase-lite/native-api/replication/index.html

James

vidya jejurkar

Oct 14, 2016, 12:43:36 AM10/14/16
to mobile-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks you for replying. we are using our own server so is it necessary to used couch base server?

Vidya.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM, James Nocentini <james.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (james.n...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

Hi Vidya,

Couchbase Lite is a standalone embedded database. You can use Couchbase Lite as a local database in your Android app. To Get Started with Couchbase Lite (CBL) on Android you can follow the code here to persist a simple document to the database http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/1.3/installation/android/index.html#getting-started

Then, if you wish to sync data to the server-side (to share data between users perhaps) you can use Sync Gateway + Couchbase Server. To synchronize data with your Sync Gateway instance running on AWS you can follow the Replications guide http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/1.3/develop/guides/couchbase-lite/native-api/replication/index.html

James

Jens Alfke

Oct 14, 2016, 1:13:33 AM10/14/16

On Oct 13, 2016, at 9:43 PM, vidya jejurkar <vidyaj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks you for replying. we are using our own server so is it necessary to used couch base server?

You need Couchbase Server + Sync Gateway. It’s possible to sync with CouchDB or Cloudant (but you don’t get some features like channels or optimized replication.) But no, you can’t use an arbitrary database as a back-end.

—Jens