Sync server NOT running

Stuart Bisset

May 2, 2018, 1:12:24 PM5/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi I have installed mnemosyne 2.6 on windows 10 and would like to use this machine as a server and sync to an android phone and a win 10 laptop.  I can't seem to get the sync working though.  When I go into...

Settings > Configure Mnemosyne > Servers

...there is a message saying "Sync server is NOT running" in the dialog box.

I have tried to search this user group and online to find answers but can't seem to find anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many Thanks in advance

Peter Bienstman

May 2, 2018, 1:14:55 PM5/2/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I assume that you ticked the checkbox to enable the sync server?

Cheers,

Peter

May 2, 2018, 1:25:47 PM5/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
HI Peter

I checked 3 boxes:

- Allow other devices to sync with this computer
- Check for changed media files on server
- allow remote review through a web browser

Regards

STuart

On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 18:14:55 UTC+1, Peter Bienstman wrote:
Hi,

I assume that you ticked the checkbox to enable the sync server?

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

May 2, 2018, 2:16:05 PM5/2/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Are there any error messages? Please also try rebooting and / or changing the port number.

Cheers,

Peter

May 2, 2018, 4:31:22 PM5/2/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

I am using a VPN (PIA) and when I rebooted the PC and then disabled the vpn, I was able to get the sync server running (well, I see an IP address at any rate).  Though I still can't actually sync as my android phone won't connect to the IP address given.  I have tried changing the port with no luck.

Stuart

Stuart Bisset
Director
[m]: 07968 196258

Insight Financial Modelling Ltd is a Company registered in Scotland, Registered number SC371434.
Registered office: Summit House, 4-5 Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD.
Business correspondence should be addressed to: 2 Marine Terrace, Gullane, East Lothian, EH31 2AY

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the addressee or an intended recipient or have not agreed with us the terms on which you are receiving this email any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on the contents of this email or its attachments, is at your own risk, prohibited and may be unlawful, and to the fullest extent permitted by law Insight Financial Modelling Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability to you. Please notify stuart...@insightmodelling.co.uk immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email or its attachments are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Insight Financial Modelling Ltd client engagement letter.

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2018, 3:35:06 AM5/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

What error message do you get on your phone? If it’s a time-out like message, there is still something in your network blocking the connection, like e.g. a router. It’s best to try first with both devices on the same network, e.g. your home wifi network.

And of course, double check that the IP address and port you input on your phone match those that are mentioned in the desktop app. For first tests, it’s also safer to leave username and password empty on both devices to avoid mistyping J

Cheers,

Peter

May 3, 2018, 3:47:15 AM5/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter

Thanks, yes, I have tried all of that.  The message is indeed a time-out message as you say.  I ensured that I was on the same network. And ensured the IP address and port were correct.  Also tried changing the port.

I'm also using AVG (the full version) - could that be the issue?

Cheers

[...]

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2018, 3:53:48 AM5/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Sure, any type of firewall or router can interfere with the connection, so make sure they are all set up properly.

Stuart Bisset

Thanks, yes, I have tried all of that.  The message is indeed a time-out message as you say.  I ensured that I was on the same network. And ensured the IP address and port were correct.  Also tried changing the port.

I'm also using AVG (the full version) - could that be the issue?

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart Bisset

Director

[m]: 07968 196258

Insight Financial Modelling Ltd is a Company registered in Scotland, Registered number SC371434.

Registered office: Summit House, 4-5 Mitchell Street, Edinburgh, EH6 7BD.

Business correspondence should be addressed to: 2 Marine Terrace, Gullane, East Lothian, EH31 2AY

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the addressee or an intended recipient or have not agreed with us the terms on which you are receiving this email any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on the contents of this email or its attachments, is at your own risk, prohibited and may be unlawful, and to the fullest extent permitted by law Insight Financial Modelling Ltd accepts no responsibility or liability to you. Please notify stuart.bisset@insightmodelling.co.uk immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email or its attachments are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Insight Financial Modelling Ltd client engagement letter.

On 3 May 2018 at 08:33, Peter Bienstman <Peter.B...@ugent.be> wrote:

[...]

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2018, 5:41:02 AM5/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Not really, as it all depends very much on the type of router and firewall, the ports that your ISP blocks when leaving your network, etc…

Peter

I am using a VPN (PIA) and when I rebooted the PC and then disabled the vpn, I was able to get the sync server running (well, I see an IP address at any rate).  Though I still can't actually sync as my android phone won't connect to the IP address given.  I have tried changing the port with no luck.

Stuart

filip...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2018, 4:08:39 PM6/6/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I have the same problem, although I did not have it before, I thin it started when my ISP changed my router.

All my settings on mobile app and on desktop app are the same but now I have message "Sync server NOT running".

Is there any solution found for this problem?

Best Regards,

Filip

Dana četvrtak, 3. svibnja 2018. u 11:41:02 UTC+2, korisnik Peter Bienstman napisao je:
> Not really, as it all depends very much on the type of router and firewall, the ports that your ISP blocks when leaving your network,
> etc…
>

> Peter

Sandor Strohmayer

Jun 7, 2018, 12:24:47 AM6/7/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I fixed this by opening mneomsyne as administrator

I then exported the cards and created a new database
To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/44a64131-e84b-4da8-a854-fe47291689da%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Jun 7, 2018, 2:52:22 AM6/7/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you're ISP changed things, then that's the first place to look. However, if you get this message on the desktop, then it means that the server could not even be started. Try rebooting your desktop, and then checking if you don't have firewall software that prevent Mnemosyne from starting the server.

Sorry I can't me more specific, as there's an infinite combinations of firewalls, ISPs, routers, ...

Good luck!

Peter