Mnemosyne crash after updating to version 2.5

caps...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 11:02:35 AM12/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have been studying Japanese for the past two years, heavily relying on Mnemosyne flash cards I have created (2600 of them). Today I looked up and downloaded latest 2.5 version. I liked the new elegant kanji font it opened with until completely unfamiliar kanji showed up in the word 直接 ちょくせつ. The first kanji did not have the lower left 'corner' and there was an extra bar in the 'eye' box. I assumed it was the new font. When I cut and pasted the kanji elsewhere, it still showed up as the familiar 直. I thought that would be confusing, so I tried to change the font.
This resulted in "unexpected error" window with a list of 14 problems, starting with: File "mnemosyne/pyqt_ui/mnemosyne".line 264, in <module>, which could not be copied and pasted.
I tried restarting the computer, tried reinstalling the same version, still get the same "unexpected error"
Question #1: can I uninstall Mnemosyne prior to reinstalling same or different version without losing all my cards?
Question #2: what's with that font, is that some new hip version? Is there as safe way to change the font? In the previous version I changed the font several times, trying to improve readability but in the end had to settle for one where the シ andツ were very hard to tell appart.
Please help. Standa

Peter Bienstman

Dec 3, 2017, 11:05:36 AM12/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Try with 2.6 RC1 posted on this forum. Normally, the bug when changing fonts should be fixed there.

Cheers,

Peter

caps...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 5:50:21 PM12/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Installed version 2.6 RC1, thanks, it works. Different kanji font now, I like it, but the plain text not so much. Tried to change the text font this time, did not work, but at least it did not crash. I'll live with it. Thanks again.

Peter Bienstman

Dec 4, 2017, 2:52:29 AM12/4/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
> Installed version 2.6 RC1, thanks, it works. Different kanji font now, I like it,
> but the plain text not so much. Tried to change the text font this time, did
> not work, but at least it did not crash. I'll live with it. Thanks again.

What do you mean by 'tried changing the text font, but did not work'? Are you able to change fonts at all? Note that if your Kanji cards use a separate card type, you should be able to set the fonts for the different fields separately, e.g. a font for the English and a different for the Japanese.

Cheers,

Peter

caps...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2017, 10:39:03 PM12/9/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Sorry, got it somehow sorted out. I changed the font again, did an internet search and found out that Meiryo font is popular. Gives me very readable kanji and kana with clear and compact English. Much better now. Did not realise you can not choose separate fonts for kanji/kana and English.
The way I use the cards for Japanese words and phrases, I have to use front and back only, three cards per word, every field a mix of English and Japanese, because of added explanations, examples ets. Using back to front would give too much away.
However, a bug? When in the "settings" I try to change font while "all card types" is selected, I get "unexpected error". Fortunately in "Front to back only" the font can be set.
A slight setback: in the previous version I was able to copy text from the card itself. In 2.6 I have to go to edit to be able to copy text for pasting elsewhere. Thanks again, it's a great program.

caps...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2017, 10:47:34 PM12/9/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 10:39:03 PM UTC-5, caps...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 2:52:29 AM UTC-5, Peter Bienstman wrote:
> > > Installed version 2.6 RC1, thanks, it works. Different kanji font now, I like it,
> > > but the plain text not so much. Tried to change the text font this time, did
> > > not work, but at least it did not crash. I'll live with it. Thanks again.
> >
> > What do you mean by 'tried changing the text font, but did not work'? Are you able to change fonts at all? Note that if your Kanji cards use a separate card type, you should be able to set the fonts for the different fields separately, e.g. a font for the English and a different for the Japanese.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter
>
> Sorry, got it somehow sorted out. I changed the font again, did an internet search and found out that Meiryo font is popular. Gives me very readable kanji and kana with clear and compact English. Much better now. Did not realise you can not choose separate fonts for kanji/kana and English.
> The way I use the cards for Japanese words and phrases, I have to use front and back only, three cards per word, every field a mix of English and Japanese, because of added explanations, examples ets. Using back to front would give too much away.
> However, a bug? When in the "settings" I try to change font while "all card types" is selected, I get "unexpected error". Fortunately with "Front to back only" selected, the font can be set.
> A slight setback: in the previous version I was able to copy text from the card itself. In 2.6 I have to go to edit to be able to copy text for pasting elsewhere. Thanks again, it's a great program.
One more item. Selecting show "in two boxes with adaptive size" now doesn't adapt, stays fixed. I usually have one or two lines on top (front) and 8 to 12 on the bottom (back),

Peter Bienstman

Dec 11, 2017, 4:21:36 AM12/11/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
> However, a bug? When in the "settings" I try to change font while "all card
> types" is selected, I get "unexpected error". Fortunately in "Front to back
> only" the font can be set.

This will be fixed in the official 2.6 release, coming soon.

> A slight setback: in the previous version I was able to copy text from the
> card itself. In 2.6 I have to go to edit to be able to copy text for pasting
> elsewhere. Thanks again, it's a great program.

An unfortunate side effect of having to change our html backend...

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Dec 11, 2017, 4:23:48 AM12/11/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
> One more item. Selecting show "in two boxes with adaptive size" now
> doesn't adapt, stays fixed. I usually have one or two lines on top (front) and 8
> to 12 on the bottom (back),

Normally, the bottom box should resize so that all text is visible, but compared to the PyQt4 version of Mnemosyne, this is now a heuristic, and therefore less accurate.

If you want, you can mail me your database privately, including config.py and tell me which cards show this issue. I can have a look to see if this is something I can easily improve or not.

Cheers,

Peter