How to forward error messages

John Smith

Feb 2, 2018, 9:10:29 AM2/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I keep getting messages that "An unexpected error has occurred. Please forward the following info to the developers:" and then a paragraph of info. I can't select the text to copy it, and there is no button to e-mail to a website or person. Are we supposed to re-type these, or is there another way?

Peter Bienstman

Feb 2, 2018, 9:12:40 AM2/2/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
You can grab a screenshot, e.g.with the Windows snipping tool.

Make sure you are on the latest Mnemosyne version before submitting a bug report, though.

Peter

I keep getting messages that "An unexpected error has occurred. Please forward the following info to the developers:" and then a paragraph of info. I can't select the text to copy it, and there is no button to e-mail to a website or person. Are we supposed to re-type these, or is there another way?

John Smith

Feb 2, 2018, 9:14:30 AM2/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Peter,

What do I do with the screenshot? (Where is the dropbox for errors?)

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 9:12:40 AM UTC-5, Peter Bienstman wrote:
You can grab a screenshot, e.g.with the Windows snipping tool.

Make sure you are on the latest Mnemosyne version before submitting a bug report, though.

Peter

I keep getting messages that "An unexpected error has occurred. Please forward the following info to the developers:" and then a paragraph of info. I can't select the text to copy it, and there is no button to e-mail to a website or person. Are we supposed to re-type these, or is there another way?

John Smith

Feb 2, 2018, 9:20:42 AM2/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I just added it to this post.
Mnemo1.PNG

John Smith

Feb 2, 2018, 9:52:04 AM2/2/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Another one.
Mnemo2.PNG

Peter Bienstman

Feb 3, 2018, 12:43:19 AM2/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
The file you want to import is not properly encoded in UTF8.

Cheers,

Peter

Feb 3, 2018, 12:44:41 AM2/3/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Is this every time you do browse cards? Please mail me your database privately.

Peter

Feb 3, 2018, 9:11:40 AM2/3/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Peter,

This page has the database: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/626697504. It's an Anki database and I imported it into your program (because I like your's better). When I first clicked on Cards> Browse Cards, it caused those type of errors. It got so bad I couldn't do anything with that. So, I deleted all traces of Anki and Mnemosyne, cleared everything inicluding the backups, and started over with new downloads and installs of Mnemosyne and that ASL package. I imported it and am editing the cards individually because I can't find a way to group-do-it. For example, in the front section, there is HTML for Watch, which only gets in the way. And then in the two other sections are codes for centering, which aren't needed because your's defaults to center. So, I'm manually going through each card and deleting those codes.  The bad thing is that the "watch" line does not seem to be part of a global template; it's actually on each card, so I have to go to each card to clear it. That's all I got. Maybe you can take a few minutes to import that package, and click all over it to see if you can make some errors show up. (And AFA the UTF-8 thing, when I started getting errors and was looking for a faster way to edit these out, I tried to export a tab-lim file to Excel, and then edit it there, and import back, but that's what caused one of the errors. As I understand it, Excel puts it in UTF-16 by default, which your program doesn't like.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Regards,
John

John Smith

Feb 3, 2018, 10:59:03 AM2/3/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I tried this, but it doesn't work either:

1. In Mnemosyne, File> Export as tab-delim file.
2. Open in Notepad.
3. On Format> Font, change script to Central European
4. Find and Replace all the undesirable code and &nbsp;'s.
5. When you go to Save As, note that the encoding is UTF-8.
6. In Mnemosyne, File> New so it doesn't import into your other decks.
7. File> Import into Mnemosyne. Ensure you do (There is no progress indicator, so you'll see the spinning circle for awhile.)
8. None of your media files will be lined up even if you create a new media beforehand. (all 9000 src codes get changed to src_missing.)

I'm stuck. Editing each card individually is the only thing that doesn't crash the program. :(

Peter Bienstman

Feb 4, 2018, 2:30:58 AM2/4/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here's another thing you can try:

Export in cards format to eg a.cards
Rename a.cards to a.zip and extract
Edit the xml file in an editor which preserves utf8
Recompress to a.zip
Rename to a.cards and reimport

This will preserve the images.

Cheers,