Is there an autosave copy of the database?

sbrews...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2018, 1:49:27 AM3/18/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I had to do a refresh of my laptop and then reinstall Mnenosyme which, I think overwrote the default database? I just didn't think much of it when Microsoft assured me that my files would not be affected but I would have to reinstall my programs... Bonehead manouver, I know... I had much work in those cards. I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me out?

Thanks,
-Scott

Peter Bienstman

Mar 18, 2018, 2:14:17 AM3/18/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What do you mean by a refresh of your laptop? A reinstall of the entire OS will indeed have deleted your data.

A reinstall of just Mnemosyne should not have deleted your data, but it will have reset the directory where Mnemosyne looks for data to the default location.

There's a small chance that you can recover your database if you've saved your database in a non standard location.

I suggest you use Windows to look for all copies of default.db on your machine. Unless you have renamed your database, and then you have to look for that name.

There's also a section on the website on how to properly back up your Mnemosyne data.

Cheers,

Peter

Mar 18, 2018, 2:21:19 AM3/18/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Also see here

superuser.com/questions/941146/windows-10-will-the-reset-feature-save-appdata

It seems you have to look in Windows.old.

Good luck!

Peter

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 12:21:19 AM UTC-6, Peter Bienstman wrote:
> Also see here
>

> superuser.com/questions/941146/windows-10-will-the-reset-feature-save-appdata
>

> It seems you have to look in Windows.old.
>

> Good luck!
>

> Peter

Ah... But if it saved to a directory that was outside the scope of Windows' destructive "refresh" path perhaps?

I did check the windows.old directory and apparently the only thing microsoft thought was worth keeping in user/appdata/etc. was a single microsoft folder. :(

Thanks for your assist tho! much obliged.

Peter Bienstman

Mar 19, 2018, 1:42:37 AM3/19/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps look for hidden folders in Windows.old? By default, Mnemosyne saves everything in AppData, but if you've changed the location of your database yourself, Windows cannot know about it. So, try to remember where you put your database, and/or let Windows run a search over all your drives.

Peter