How to swipe down from the top on Android app?

Matthew Exon

Nov 23, 2018, 12:07:47 PM11/23/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
This is kinda ridiculous, but when the Android app is first installed it has a banner saying swipe down from the top to access other functions.  And I've seen that work before.  But it's always been hard to do, and now I just seem to have lost the knack.

How exactly do you swipe down from the top of the Android app?  When I try, I just get the normal Android windowshade.

I'd really like to sync, but I just can't figure out a way to access the function.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 24, 2018, 1:28:22 AM11/24/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sometimes this happens on some systems. Closing Mnemosyne using the back arrow and restarting it should fix this.

Cheers,

Peter

This is kinda ridiculous, but when the Android app is first installed it has a banner saying swipe down from the top to access other functions.  And I've seen that work before.  But it's always been hard to do, and now I just seem to have lost the knack.

How exactly do you swipe down from the top of the Android app?  When I try, I just get the normal Android windowshade.

I'd really like to sync, but I just can't figure out a way to access the function.

harris...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2019, 12:13:14 PM1/6/19
to mnemosyne-proj-users
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 12:28:22 AM UTC-6, Peter Bienstman wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Sometimes this happens on some systems. Closing Mnemosyne using the back arrow and restarting it should fix this.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Peter

I'm having the same problem. Once I upgraded to my Galaxy S9, I have been unable to find the banner on the top. I was able to find the banner as you mentioned only by restarting the app with the S6, but now even after restarting the app (on the S9), the banner no longer shows and I am unable to sync my cards... Any help would be great, thanks!

Peter Bienstman

Jan 7, 2019, 3:21:21 AM1/7/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Make sure you restart the app by e.g. pressing the back arrow or killing it, not by pressing 'home' as that will merely put the app to sleep.

Cheers,

Peter
To post to this group, send email to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/2e1c5636-2773-4948-9b91-8ccc4df939a2%40googlegroups.com.

Harris Sultan

Jan 7, 2019, 6:56:23 AM1/7/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I tried that and still no settings button... When I press the down arrow to back out of it, I see a tiny glimpse of the settings button before the app disappears but I'm not able to press it. Still no settings button when I kill the app though. Before when I was on the S6, I could press the top line of the app where it lists the category of the card and the settings button would show up but now it doesn't. Maybe it has something to do with how the edges of apps are more cut off with the S9 than they were previously? Just hypothesizing here. Thanks!

Harris

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.

Peter Bienstman

Jan 7, 2019, 7:10:50 AM1/7/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

When you say ‘press the top line’, you do mean swiping down and not pressing, I assume ? Does swiping down to get the menu work on other full screen apps? Has it ever worked on the S9?

Cheers,

Peter

Harris Sultan

Jan 7, 2019, 7:23:29 AM1/7/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I guess both swiping down and pressing; on a quick glance of other apps, most apps have the settings button available to be pressed rather than needing to be swiped down to see them. I haven't gotten the settings button to appear ever while on the S9. When I swipe down, it brings me to the S9 settings such as being able to back out of the app (on the bottom of the screen and the time and other icon-notifications on the top of the screen). I've attached a screen shot of the app normally and even the top line where it lists the category is kind of cut off from the edge as is the bottom line where it lists the number of cards etc. I've also attached a screen shot when I attempt to swipe down but it brings me to the phone settings. Thanks again!

Harris

Screenshot_20190107-061426_Mnemosyne.jpg
Screenshot_20190107-062058_Mnemosyne.jpg

Peter Bienstman

Jan 8, 2019, 2:24:44 PM1/8/19
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Harris

> To post to this group, send email to
> mnemosyne...@googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/c1e9a7ee-5759-4946-a8b9-c92e7f37c4b9%40googlegroups.com.

I'm having the same problem. Once I upgraded to my Galaxy S9, I have been unable to find the banner on the top. I was able to find the banner as you mentioned only by restarting the app with the S6, but now even after restarting the app (on the S9), the banner no longer shows and I am unable to sync my cards... Any help would be great, thanks!

Harris Sultan

Jan 8, 2019, 2:31:51 PM1/8/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

The settings button will now show up after I will press the bottom left Samsung button that will allow me to see what other windows are open (the one to the left of the home button). When I close the app and open it, it does not appear on its own, and when I attempt to swipe down, the regular Samsung options appear instead of the mnemosyne options. So now at least I can find the settings button after I go into bottom left "window" button, and then go back to the app. Thank you so much!

Best,

Harris

Harris

> To post to this group, send email to
> mnemosyne...@googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/c1e9a7ee-5759-4946-a8b9-c92e7f37c4b9%40googlegroups.com.

I'm having the same problem. Once I upgraded to my Galaxy S9, I have been unable to find the banner on the top. I was able to find the banner as you mentioned only by restarting the app with the S6, but now even after restarting the app (on the S9), the banner no longer shows and I am unable to sync my cards... Any help would be great, thanks!

Peter Bienstman

Jan 9, 2019, 2:43:17 AM1/9/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

>The settings button will now show up after I will press the bottom left Samsung button

>that will allow me to see what other windows are open (the one to the left of the home button).

That’s really bizarre. So, if you press that button, you don’t get a display of all the recent programs, but Mnemosyne’s menu pops up?

>When I close the app and open it, it does not appear on its own,

You mean closing with the back button, right, not with the home button?

In any case, when Mnemosyne starts, it starts in fullscreen, so the menubar will be hidden.

Cheers,

Peter

Harris Sultan

Jan 9, 2019, 7:28:42 AM1/9/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Please see my responses to your responses below. Thanks again!

Best,

Harris

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 1:43 AM Peter Bienstman <Peter.B...@ugent.be wrote:

>The settings button will now show up after I will press the bottom left Samsung button

>that will allow me to see what other windows are open (the one to the left of the home button).

That’s really bizarre. So, if you press that button, you don’t get a display of all the recent programs, but Mnemosyne’s menu pops up?

I DO get a display of the recent programs, it's only when I go back to the Mnemosyne app through this method (rather than when initially opening the app from the app-icon) will I get a display of the menu bar.

>When I close the app and open it, it does not appear on its own,

You mean closing with the back button, right, not with the home button?

In any case, when Mnemosyne starts, it starts in fullscreen, so the menubar will be hidden.

This is correct, I only see the menu bar after o go back to the app after pressing the button that allows me to see recent programs, not when Mnemosyne starts fresh. The new version you just provided appears to do the same thing; I've attached another screen shot, it appears that when I try to swipe down from the top, the Samsung options full coverage the top line of the app, so it appears that there might no be enough space for the bar to work from there? Regardless, I am now able to update my deck. Thanks again!!

Harris

Cheers,

Peter

Screenshot_20190109-062058_Mnemosyne.jpg

Peter Bienstman

Jan 9, 2019, 8:16:39 AM1/9/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Strange, can you try this debug version?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52zhtrqr0uds0k7/Mnemosyne%2020180109%20debug.apk?dl=0

It will show a number in a so-called toast message near the bottom of the screen every time the visibility changes

When I start Mnemosyne on my phone it displays 6, 2, 0 and then 6 when I start the program. When I swipe down, it displays 0, and after five seconds 6.

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 14, 2019, 2:50:43 AM1/14/19
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Just wondering if you’ve already had a chance to run this version? I’d be more than happy to try and properly solve this, also for other users who might have the same problem, but since I cannot reproduce it, I need someone to give me debug info.

Thanks!

Peter

Jan 30, 2019, 2:52:53 PM1/30/19
to mnemosyne-proj-users
For anyone having this problem, e.g. on a Samsung S9, the solution is to turn off Mnemosyne's full screen support (see step 7 here https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxys9/using_full_screen_mode.html)