moving card files to smart phone / tablet

caps...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 9:15:21 AM3/7/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have over past three years created 2790 cards on my laptop that proved invaluable in my insane attempt to learn Japanese at the age of 70. While getting ready to travel (light), I installed Mnemosyne 2.6 on my Android phone, but could not find a way to transfer my card files there. The advice I got on this forum, from Peter Biensman, (Thank you Peter) went over my head and seemed to involve removing the card files from the PC before installing the Mnemosyne 2.6 on the smart phone. Did I understand that right? Scary. How exactly is that done?
Also, when updating from my old Mnemosyne to 2.6 version, I seemed to lose the ability to copy from a card directly, have to first open it in 'edit'. Minor inconvenience. More disappointing is that I cannot make the cards adjust relative size of the front and back windows, manually or automatically. Most of my cards have one or two lines in front and around 10 lines in back. Any way to fix that?

Peter Bienstman

Mar 7, 2018, 9:32:03 AM3/7/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

That must be a misunderstanding :-) The relevant documentation is here https://mnemosyne-proj.org/help/syncing . In your case, the server is your PC, and the client is your phone. Do let me know if you need more help!

> Also, when updating from my old Mnemosyne to 2.6 version, I seemed to lose the ability to copy from a card directly, have to first open it in 'edit'. Minor inconvenience.

Yes, that's an unfortunate side effect of having had to change html-backend in the new version.

> More disappointing is that I cannot make the cards adjust relative size of the front and back windows, manually or automatically. Most of my cards have one or two lines in front and around 10 lines in back. Any way to fix that?

That's another side effect of that change. There is a heuristic to determine the relative size of the Q vs A, but it's not as accurate as before. But make sure in "Configuration - General", you select "Show question and answer in two boxes with adaptive size". You might also want to try out "Show question and answer in a single box top aligned" to see if you like that better.

Good luck with your studies!

Peter

caps...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 10:34:00 AM3/10/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users

caps...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 11:05:30 AM3/10/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Thanks Peter, the Syncing PDF made it much easier. I now have my cards on my new tablet, so I can take it with me to Japan next week.