No sound

Pal

Jun 28, 2018, 3:19:45 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.
img-2018-06-28-09-16-23.png

Peter Bienstman

Jun 28, 2018, 3:26:32 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Does the image you attached show up without problems? Are the mp3 and the image file located in the same directory? Something like C:\users\pal\appdata\roaming\mnemosyne\default.db_media (with ‘default.db’ to be replaced with the name of your database).

Does the mp3 file play when you using another program? What happens if you use an mp3 file which does not contain Chinese characters in the title?

Cheers,

Peter

Павел /

Jun 28, 2018, 4:32:38 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,
The image shows up without proplems. The mp3 file was in another directory, just on the desktop. I copied it to Documents and inserted it to the card from there, but with no effect either. The audio file sounds OK in Anki soft, for instance. However I'd like to use the Mnemosyne because of its vocabulary card function. Using mp3 file with a title not containing Chinese characters doesn't change the situation, there is still no sound.

Best regards,
Pavel

Does the image you attached show up without problems? Are the mp3 and the image file located in the same directory? Something like C:\users\pal\appdata\roaming\mnemosyne\default.db_media (with ‘default.db’ to be replaced with the name of your database).

Does the mp3 file play when you using another program? What happens if you use an mp3 file which does not contain Chinese characters in the title?

Cheers,

Peter

Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Peter Bienstman

Jun 28, 2018, 4:38:56 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You have to double check that the audio file is the correct directory, but the easiest way to do so is inserting the sound file using the right-click menu and do ‘insert sound’. Does the problem only happen for this particular mp3 file? Can you try other mp3 files, preferably from a completely different source, like a random piece of music?

Cheers,

Peter

Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Pal

Jun 28, 2018, 4:48:14 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Yes, I did it exactly as you advised, namely I inserted the audio by clicking right-hand and and taking "insert sound" option then. With another audio from different source it is the same.

Pal

Jun 28, 2018, 4:53:12 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Maybe I should install the Mnemosyne on another computer, with Windows 10. This one is with Windows 7.

четверг, 28 июня 2018 г., 10:19:45 UTC+3 пользователь Pal написал:
Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Peter Bienstman

Jun 28, 2018, 5:08:51 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I suggest to try that, because I’m afraid I’m out of ideas otherwise.

If it doesn’t work on Windows 10, I can try to build a special debug version, so that we can perhaps figure out what is going on.

Cheers,

Peter

четверг, 28 июня 2018 г., 10:19:45 UTC+3 пользователь Pal написал:
Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Peter Bienstman

Jun 28, 2018, 5:53:43 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Does this mean switching to Windows 10 solved the problem?

Cheers,

Peter

Not yet. I have to do some maintenance with the PC with Windows 10 first.

Does this mean switching to Windows 10 solved the problem?

Cheers,

Peter

четверг, 28 июня 2018 г., 10:19:45 UTC+3 пользователь Pal написал:

Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Павел /

Jun 28, 2018, 11:50:37 AM6/28/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Peter, I reinstalled the soft in another directory and it is OK now with sound! Thank you for your assistance!
By the way, is it possible to change the font size? I can't do that and therefore I have to use images for Chinese characters.

Best regards,
Pavel

Not yet. I have to do some maintenance with the PC with Windows 10 first.

Does this mean switching to Windows 10 solved the problem?

Cheers,

Peter

четверг, 28 июня 2018 г., 10:19:45 UTC+3 пользователь Pal написал:

Hello! Please help! I had inserted a sound link in the card as advised (file enclosed) but there was no sound when the card appeared then.

Павел /

Jun 29, 2018, 4:37:10 AM6/29/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I've found where configuration is. Thanks!

Павел /

Jun 29, 2018, 11:27:19 AM6/29/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,
It may be of interest to you. The application produces sound only if it is installed on a dick different to the disk where Windows is installed. Just changing directory doesn't help.

Best regards,
Pavel

Peter Bienstman

Jun 29, 2018, 12:47:00 PM6/29/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Strange… I guess it must be a Windows 7 issue, because here on Windows 10 it seems to work without problems…

Peter

Sent: 29 June 2018 17:27
To: mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Павел /

Jul 1, 2018, 2:03:33 PM7/1/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
I think so too. And there is one more small inconvenience - as it produces sound the program cuts off the beginning of it, half a second long or so. When it is one syllable foreign word it can be important. I have to add a piece of silence in front of each sound recording, about 0,5 second in duration.

Best regards,
Pavel

Peter Bienstman

Jul 1, 2018, 11:01:32 PM7/1/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a Bluetooth headset? Some Bluetooth headsets go to sleep and need a while to wake up. I work around this by having a another program play a silent mp3 in the background.

Peter

No, I use just notebook speekers and sometimes headphones pluged in with a cord.

Pavel

Do you have a Bluetooth headset? Some Bluetooth headsets go to sleep and need a while to wake up. I work around this by having a another program play a silent mp3 in the background.

Peter

Jul 17, 2018, 3:11:43 AM7/17/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hmm, it must be something specifically to your system/drivers then. It’s still worthwhile to try and play a silent mp3 in the background and see if this this helps.

Cheers,

Peter