Downloading Mnemosyne on Mac

Simrandeep Motay

Sep 23, 2023, 7:15:22 PM9/23/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I used to use Mnemosyne on my windows but I have now switched to using a Mac. I downloaded the mac version of mnemosyne via the website. However, when installing and opening it, my mac says that it cannot verify the developer and does not allow it to open.

I was wondering if anyone can help, as I really will be lost without this app!!

Kind regards,
Sim Motay

Peter Bienstman

Sep 24, 2023, 1:09:02 AM9/24/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users, Devin Howard
I am putting Devin, our Mac developper, in Cc.

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

Sep 24, 2023, 1:30:10 PM9/24/23
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users, Simrand...@gmail.com
Hi this is an ongoing issue I haven't been able to figure out.. someday I plan to register an account with the mac store and see if I can get the app verified.

For now I don't have a good idea of how to make it work. Best ideas I have are pretty difficult: run the Windows version using Wineskin Winery or try to build the app from source

Sorry. Hopefully this winter I'll have more time to try and fix this issue.

If anyone reading this is a Mac pro you are of course welcome to try to make this work and send a working bundle!

Peter Bienstman

Sep 24, 2023, 2:53:55 PM9/24/23
to Devin Howard, mnemosyne-proj-users, Simrand...@gmail.com
BTW, would the following approach work? We register Mnemosyne on PyPI,
and then users could install it by first installing Python, and then
doing a 'pip install mnemosyne' Not as user-friendly as a standalone
installer, but still not too bad, and better than nothing...

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

Sep 24, 2023, 4:35:53 PM9/24/23
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-proj-users, Simrand...@gmail.com
That would be a great idea in the interim!

Peter Bienstman

Sep 25, 2023, 12:02:31 AM9/25/23
to Devin Howard, mnemosyne-proj-users, Simrand...@gmail.com
OK, I'm travelling at the moment, but will look into it when I get back.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 2, 2023, 11:59:44 AM10/2/23
to Devin Howard, acezalb...@slmail.me, mnemosyne-proj-users, Simrand...@gmail.com
Ok, small update: I followed the instructions here
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-create-and-upload-your-first-python-package-to-pypi
to upload a test package to
https://test.pypi.org/project/mnemosyne/2.10.1/.

However, when I try to install it in a new virtual environment, I got
this error:

(env) C:\Users\peter\Documents\files\source\mnemosyne-proj\mnemosyne\test>pip
install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1
Looking in indexes: https://test.pypi.org/simple/
Collecting mnemosyne==2.10.1
Downloading https://test-files.pythonhosted.org/packages/bb/a0/1871676ccd8121a3e337be20ffb1c8e5adbe8abb37a454674a8f4fe5e77c/mnemosyne-2.10.1-py3-none-any.whl
(16.5 MB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 16.5/16.5 MB 3.7 MB/s eta 0:00:00
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
argon2-cffi<22.0.0,>=21.3.0 (from mnemosyne) (from versions:
21.3.1.dev77, 21.3.1.dev78, 21.3.1.dev79, 21.3.1.dev82, 21.3.1.dev83,
21.3.1.dev84, 21.3.1.dev86)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for argon2-cffi<22.0.0,>=21.3.0

So, we are asking for >=21.3.0 (from mnemosyne), but there seems to be
some other package that asks for a version <22...

Ace, I'm putting you in CC since you reworked our build system
recently and seem to have a lot more experience with this. Is there a
way to figure out what is asking for <22? Or should we do a simple
workaround and have Mnemosyne ask for <22 too instead?

Thanks!

Ace Alba

Oct 4, 2023, 5:45:14 AM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Here's our blocker. It's no one's fault but the nature of how pip resolves dependencies. See

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49900875/pip-install-fails-to-install-dependencies

With the following paragraph:

When installing a package from testPyPI, the dependencies are also installed from there. And it seems, that while there are many packages available, pytables and progress are apparently missing. This caused the installation to fail.

So though we followed the instructions to the letter, we cannot proceed because testpypi will always get the packages from testpypi repository (which does not have the dependencies), not from pypi (where the dependencies are actually located). So installing our test package from testpypi will always cause it to break.

We have two options:
1. A test deploy from pypi itself.

because the commands listed rely on pyproject.toml, all you need is to:
   - rename the package name in pyproject.toml (i.e. mnemosyne-test or another name)
   - clear out everything from the dist/ folder
   - go do the same process again in the article (register a pypi account, python3 -m build, etc.,) up until..
   - when uploading the distributions, use `twine upload --verbose --repository pypi dist/*` instead of `testpypi`
   - download the package using the pip install command
   - if the package is successfully installed, i guess it is successful. so the test package can be deleted from pypi.
    - then restore back the proper package name in pyproject.toml. purge all contest of dist/*, then do everything all over again.

2. figure out a way for pip to resolve the dependency tree from pypi instead of testpypi. I don't know how to do this.

Ace Alba

Oct 4, 2023, 5:51:59 AM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Edit: Here's the solution for option two, which is much simpler. Use this command instead.

pip install --index-url https://test.pypi.org/simple/ --extra-index-url https://pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1

This command allows pip to use pypi as an alternative repo in resolving the dependencies. works on my end.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 4, 2023, 6:18:45 AM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Excellent detective work, thanks a lot!

I've tried the second option in a virtual environment, and it seems to
install everything just fine, apart from the main script to start
Mnemosye... In setup.py the location of this script is mentioned, but
perhaps there's something in the new poetry infrastructure that needs
to change in order to accomodate this as well? (I've very little
experience with poetry)

Cheers,

Peter

Ace Alba

Oct 4, 2023, 6:43:59 AM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
When building the dists, we might need to use

python3 setup.py sdist

Instead of Python3 -m build... ?

Then reupload the packages to testpypi.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 4, 2023, 1:17:39 PM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
'python3 setup.py sdist' just creates the source, not a wheel. Anyway,
I made some progress by adding a section [tool.poetry.scripts] to
pyproject.toml and doing some other minor changes. Now an executable
is added to the Scripts directory which starts to run Mnemosyne.
However, where it currently fails is that the new poetry
infrastructure does not know that it should build the dependencies
(build, build-po in the makefile)...

Ace, any idea how best to do this?

Thanks!

Peter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/bb174636-3457-420b-b9e2-f6dd8b47e8bdn%40googlegroups.com.

Ace Alba

Oct 4, 2023, 9:19:15 PM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
This is unfamiliar terrain for me. Poetry cannot access makefile commands, but can access python commands, I think. I think you are in the right direction; what you did for pyqt_ui, you do for the rest of the build commands. Either that or access the make commands from a python script, then register that in pyproject.toml.

As for the wheel generation... well everytime i try something in google there's just commenters in github issues duking it on what the proper behavior should be. Woe the hellscape that is python's packaging ecosystem.

Anyhow, from this github issue, https://github.com/pypa/wheel/issues/276... here is a possible solution:
Python3 setup.py bdist_wheel.

Other than that i haven't found a way yet to generate the wheel directly from an sdist. I'll update if I ever find something.

Ace Alba

Oct 4, 2023, 9:23:25 PM10/4/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Also, wheel needs to be installed 'pip install wheel' before running 'python3 setup.py bdist_wheel'.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 5, 2023, 1:58:03 PM10/5/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I jumped through a few hoops, made use of an undocumented feature
of poetry, did some final tweaks, and now it seems to work for me:

https://test.pypi.org/project/mnemosyne/

Devin, could you try and see if this also works on Mac, and perhaps
write some Mac-specific instructions so that a non-technical user is
able to install it that way?

There is one final hurdle, though, and that is that I can't register
mnemosyne on the actual pypi site, as opposed to the test-pypi site.
Perhaps somebody already claimed the name? In any case, I've opened a
request to try and fix this...

Cheers,

Peter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/d32aa821-9d3b-4353-87ee-b9b8a8343babn%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 5, 2023, 2:07:30 PM10/5/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Sorry, still getting used to pypi's naming conventions. The latest version you should use is actually https://test.pypi.org/project/mnemosyne/2.10.1a0/ , which pypi treats as a prerelease to what it wrongly considers the latest version 2.10.1.

Peter

de...@callysto.com

Oct 14, 2023, 7:50:19 PM10/14/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Sorry, missed the updates to this thread. Installing XCode, homebrew, python, and pip is a bit of work for non-tech, but assuming we could simplify that I tried running the install command from https://test.pypi.org/project/mnemosyne/2.10.1a0/ and I got the following error output

```
orpved2:~ devin$ pip3 install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1a0

Looking in indexes: https://test.pypi.org/simple/
Collecting mnemosyne==2.10.1a0
  Downloading https://test-files.pythonhosted.org/packages/fb/4d/d17f2eaead745b10676d4b5795ff3ac8948b685a4b5d61440213ab95af65/mnemosyne-2.10.1a0.tar.gz (898 kB)
     ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 898.4/898.4 kB 10.2 MB/s eta 0:00:00
  Installing build dependencies ... done
  Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
  Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... error
  error: subprocess-exited-with-error

  × Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [18 lines of output]
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py", line 353, in <module>
          main()
        File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py", line 335, in main
          json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pyproject_hooks/_in_process/_in_process.py", line 149, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
          return hook(metadata_directory, config_settings)
        File "/private/var/folders/s_/kfjzrd0x21502lph7nw_nqk80000gr/T/pip-build-env-t6ye3_dd/overlay/lib/python3.11/site-packages/poetry/core/masonry/api.py", line 40, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
          poetry = Factory().create_poetry(Path(".").resolve(), with_groups=False)
        File "/private/var/folders/s_/kfjzrd0x21502lph7nw_nqk80000gr/T/pip-build-env-t6ye3_dd/overlay/lib/python3.11/site-packages/poetry/core/factory.py", line 46, in create_poetry
          local_config = PyProjectTOML(path=poetry_file).poetry_config
        File "/private/var/folders/s_/kfjzrd0x21502lph7nw_nqk80000gr/T/pip-build-env-t6ye3_dd/overlay/lib/python3.11/site-packages/poetry/core/pyproject/toml.py", line 74, in poetry_config
          assert isinstance(config, Table)
      AssertionError
      [end of output]

  note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: metadata-generation-failed

× Encountered error while generating package metadata.
╰─> See above for output.

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for details.
```

Not sure yet if this is my setup or a generic issue. I don't get the same error with, for example, pip3 install sphinx

Peter Bienstman

Oct 15, 2023, 3:21:32 AM10/15/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Do people really need homebrew and XCode? Can't they get Python
directly from https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/?

As for the error, perhaps an easier to debug option would be to see
what happens if you don't use pip yet, but follow the new build
instructions from Ace, which will use poetry to install Mnemosyne in
your system? If that has a similar error, then you could add e.g.
extra print statements to
/python3.11/site-packages/poetry/core/pyproject/toml.py to figure out
what part of the configuration file causes errors?

Peter

Ace Alba

Oct 22, 2023, 5:35:36 PM10/22/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I've tried looking into this. The following github issue may be relevant:

There is a contrast between how python is setup in homebrew versus how the team coded poetry. Based from what I understood so far there are two solutions:

1. Use a virtual environment before pip install. See the following excerpt from one of the maintainers:

We provide no support for Homebrew installations; feel free to use Homebrew, but please don't open issues against Poetry unless you have reproduced on an install using this script/pipx/pip+venv. pipx and pip+venv work just fine with framework-based Pythons; #79 complicates the fix I had in mind for this issue, and I will need to spend some time reworking it with the new information in mind (or, we may just drop --copies entirely).

2. Use the following one-liner before going with the Pip install:

```
curl -sSL https://install.python-poetry.org | sed 's/symlinks=False/symlinks=True/' | python3 -
```

This one-liner relates to @ikebo and @ralexx's temporary patch to this issue, which involves a symlink configuration.

Peter Bienstman

Oct 23, 2023, 12:38:21 AM10/23/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Thanks for looking into this, but do we really need homebrew? Can't we just use the regular Python install, which would also be easier for users?

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Nov 1, 2023, 5:18:17 AM11/1/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
After linux users reported a similar issue, I tried to dig a bit deeper into what was going on, but I ended up submitting a bug report to poetry here: https://github.com/python-poetry/poetry/issues/8601

Cheers,

Peter

Ace Alba

Nov 2, 2023, 4:33:38 AM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Wouldn't just uploading the build directly to pypi be a sufficient workaround instead, re the poetry team's response to the build? Tag a build as 2.10.1a0 or something, and debug the package from there when it arise, and once done, just update the build, like to 2.10.1a1?

Though we know that test.pypi is a recommended way of testing a build to the repository, it appears that not all dependencies are willing to upload a copy of their project to test.pypi, such as the response of the poetry team to the bug report. even if for some reason we end up resolving the bug with python-poetry on test.pypi, it is definitely likely that we will encounter the same errors with our other dependencies.

Or we could wait for devin to run 'pip3 install --index-url https://test.pypi.org/simple/ --extra-index-url https://pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1a0' in his macbook for us to move forward. Either way we will eventually upload a build to pypi, and this path is the only way to test run the simpler, more familiar version of the pip3 install command.

Ace Alba

Nov 2, 2023, 4:41:53 AM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Also I am too unfamiliar with macos to see if homebrew is needed. based from the tutorials i've seen, it is preferred but it is not necessary. As to whether the pip command, even with the --extra-index-url flag, using the official build from the python website, will work... remains to be tested. It think with the --extra-index-url flag it should.

Ace Alba

Nov 2, 2023, 4:55:13 AM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
For head's up purposes, this command worked on my end:

"'pip3 install --index-url https://test.pypi.org/simple/ --extra-index-url https://pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1.2"

I did use a virtual environment before this command though.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 2, 2023, 5:04:24 AM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
That same command in a virtual env gave the error below. I don't think
it makes sense to look into this until we've tried putting it on
regular pypi.

Cheers,

Peter

Collecting pyqt6<7.0.0,>=6.5.1
Using cached PyQt6-6.6.0.tar.gz (1.0 MB)
Installing build dependencies ... done
Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
Preparing wheel metadata ... error
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
command: /home/pbienst/test_env/bin/python /tmp/tmpkp2w15bm
prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel /tmp/tmp58kai8sh
cwd: /tmp/pip-install-i2hosebo/pyqt6
Complete output (26 lines):
Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 126, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
hook = backend.prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
AttributeError: module 'sipbuild.api' has no attribute
'prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 280, in <module>
main()
File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 263, in main
json_out['return_val'] = hook(**hook_input['kwargs'])
File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 130, in prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
return _get_wheel_metadata_from_wheel(backend, metadata_directory,
File "/tmp/tmpkp2w15bm", line 159, in _get_wheel_metadata_from_wheel
whl_basename = backend.build_wheel(metadata_directory, config_settings)
File "/tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sipbuild/api.py",
line 46, in build_wheel
project = AbstractProject.bootstrap('wheel',
File "/tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sipbuild/abstract_project.py",
line 87, in bootstrap
project.setup(pyproject, tool, tool_description)
File "/tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sipbuild/project.py",
line 602, in setup
self.update(tool)
File "/tmp/pip-install-i2hosebo/pyqt6/project.py", line 163, in update
raise UserException(
sipbuild.exceptions.UserException
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
/home/pbienst/test_env/bin/python /tmp/tmpkp2w15bm
prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel /tmp/tmp58kai8sh Check the logs for
full command output.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/89ea4e79-529d-45e9-a95b-45787646577en%40googlegroups.com.

Ace Alba

Nov 2, 2023, 5:11:09 AM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Probably so.

If if ever the same error happens... well I did notice that the error is arising from the possibility that pip was run using python3.8, re: /tmp/pip-build-env-wqkglcan/overlay/lib/python3.8/...? the sip package under python3.8 might be deprecated. This the same error happens, i think you can force a different python version using: python3.11 -m pip install ...

To update the command it would be:
`python3.11 -m pip3 install --index-url https://test.pypi.org/simple/ --extra-index-url https://pypi.org/simple/ mnemosyne==2.10.1.2`

Devin Howard

Nov 2, 2023, 2:06:40 PM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I'm traveling without my laptop but I can try the --extra-index flag next week.

Downloading a packaged python is probably easier for non technical users, since it'll let them avoid installing xcode. I'll try that as part of the process.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/0f89182d-f29c-4446-8fd3-acbd2b01bc6dn%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 2, 2023, 2:06:56 PM11/2/23
to mnemosyne-proj-users
One should now also be able to do 'pip install mnemosyne-proj'. Would be good to check this on OSX without homebrew.

Cheers,

Peter

Devin Howard

Nov 11, 2023, 4:02:25 PM11/11/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
OK, I tried these steps

1. Visit https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/ and download the latest python release
2. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Python 3.12 (or whatever version you downloaded)
3. Double click on Update Shell Profile.command to make sure your computer knows where to find Python
4. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities > Terminal
5. In the Terminal window, type in "pip3 install mnemosyne-proj" and hit Enter
6. A bunch of text will scroll by. Wait until it's done, then type "mnemosyne" and hit Enter

It all seems to work! I'm not sure if the fact that I have XCode helped so it would be good to find a guinea pig.

It found my existing database so everything is compatible with the previous version.

We could create a file that acts as a launcher for Mnemosyne - attaching an example. Or we could get more fancy and do a full Installer script like the attached. Then the steps would be as simple as

1. Visit https://www.python.org/downloads/macos/ and download the latest python release
2. Download and double click to run Mnemosyne-Installer-MacOS.command
3. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Mnemosyne.command and double click to run it.

I tried to attach the files but Google Groups blocks it. Here's the file contents

Mnemosyne.command:
```
mnemosyne
```

Mnemosyne-Installer-MacOS.command
```
#!/bin/bash

# This installer pulls mnemosyne from the pip registry. It requires that you have Python installed via https://www.python.org/downloads/macos

# make sure python is installed properly and accessible
/Applications/Python*/Update\ Shell\ Profile.command

# create some helpful launchers on the Desktop
echo << EOF > /Applications/Mnemosyne.command
mnemosyne
EOF
echo << EOF > /Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command
pip3 install --upgrade mnemosyne-proj
EOF
chmod +x ~/Mnemosyne.command /Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command

/Applications/Mnemosyne-updater.command # the actual install happens via this command
```

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/81a7821c-1cf9-463e-b0a7-db92968daf43n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 12, 2023, 3:09:25 AM11/12/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks a lot!

Expect a new public release momentarily.

Peter
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/CAKr60uMGo0Jp6dERhQ-LBAxR9uHMwGHLr%3DoN%3Dsvwgucknf1iuA%40mail.gmail.com.

Devin Howard

Nov 12, 2023, 10:31:41 PM11/12/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
OK, I downloaded the Github file and I got a security warning from Apple that blocked execution. We should add a couple of steps

  • OSX
    • If you are comfortable using the Terminal, follow the Linux instructions below. Otherwise follow the below steps.
    • If you don't have Python on your system, download the latest release here.
    • Download Mnemosyne-Installer-MacOS.command here (there is a 'download raw file' icon on the right side of the header just above line 1 of the file). Double click to run it.
    • The first time you run the command, Apple will block execution. Visit System Settings > Privacy & Security. Scroll down to find the "Open Anyway" button.
    • Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Mnemosyne.command and double click to run it.

Peter Bienstman

Nov 13, 2023, 2:55:54 AM11/13/23
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com