Linux Mint Ulyana- claims mnemosyne unstalled, will not start

Nathan Kuhlman

Oct 10, 2021, 10:52:07 AM10/10/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello.

I checked the Mint forum, there isn't anything there except another user with a similar unanswered question.

"Installed" via the package manager, it shows in the start menu & on the desktop. It can be "removed" and re"installed" but clicking on the icon or selecting from menu still does apparently nothing. No errors, no messages, just nothing.

Tried installing via the tarball bla bla, got as far as running 'setup.py' and it threw an error staging <module> missing 'setuptools.'

After spending a day on this, I'll have to say that physical index cards may be the better option.

I had Mnemosyne running on a Mint box in 2014, and it set up and worked fine without having to do anything in Terminal.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Gabrielle Taylor

Oct 10, 2021, 1:13:52 PM10/10/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hey,

It looks like you don't have the setuptools Python module installed. Try running the following command in your terminal. If you are running setup.py with another Python executable, replace `python` in the command with that executable.

```
sudo python -m pip install setuptools
```

Then try running the setup command again.

It's weird that the package manager installed version does not work though. You should reach out to the maintainer of the package manager version and see what they say.

Thanks,
Gabrielle

(Sorry if this sent twice, I was having issues with my email client.)

Gabrielle Taylor

Nathan Kuhlman

Oct 10, 2021, 2:33:23 PM10/10/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Many thanks for your response. Entering the command as written, it says 'requirement already satisfied.' It appears to work through the setup process, but when trying to start the program, states "unexpected error has occurred" etc.

I have screenshots, but unsure whether it is permitted to post them here.

Error seems to indicate a problem finding Qt5.15 but AFAICT this is already installed on my system.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Peter Bienstman

Oct 11, 2021, 12:34:05 AM10/11/21
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Feel free to send screenshots, but I do not use Mint, so if it is a Mint specific issue, I'll have to rely on other people.

Peter