Having trouble on Android Samsung Galaxy Avant

George

Oct 23, 2017, 11:11:58 AM10/23/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I have been unable to enjoy Mnemosyne each morning for a few days, and its hurting.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and no joy.

Symptom:  Mnemosyne seems to start up, then blinks out within couple of seconds.

Is this an known issue? Is there something I can do to help?

Peter Bienstman

Oct 23, 2017, 11:14:23 AM10/23/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

If you are able to install Android Studio on a desktop, connect your phone over USB to that computer, and collect debug logs that way, that would be most useful.

You can also temporarily revert to version 1.4 if you want:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mnemosyne-proj/files/mnemosyne/mnemosyne-2.5/

Cheers,

Peter

George

Oct 24, 2017, 10:20:44 AM10/24/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
OK.  I'll install studio and try to get the logs.

Thanks for the great work.  I use it for kanji.

I have noticed a couple of errors on the cards (like a stroke on a kanji being too long).

How can I help get those corrected?

Peter Bienstman

Oct 24, 2017, 10:22:39 AM10/24/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

If you’re talking about errors in the premade cards you can download, it’s best to get in touch with whoever originally uploaded them, or otherwise make a new version yourself.

With respect to the logs, they can be quite big, so I suggest you mail them to me privately.

Cheers,

Peter

Oct 24, 2017, 12:20:53 PM10/24/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
OK, I have installed Studio, and have my Samsung attached and visible.

Steps?

Try to start Menmosyne?
After failure, get logs from somewhere? (where?  how?  Studio?  File explorer?)
email them to you!

Thanks!

George

Oct 24, 2017, 2:05:14 PM10/24/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I've turned on developer settings and enabled USB debugging.

Where are debug logs for Mnemosyne?

Thanks,

Jud

Peter Bienstman

Oct 25, 2017, 3:02:35 AM10/25/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

On the bottom right in Android Studio, there’s a window Android Monitor with a tab logcat. Make sure it’s set to verbose. Run Mnemosyne, and mail me privately what gets printed into that log.

Please also use this version, perhaps the problem is even already solved there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tq0phm8rjl8m7er/Mnemosyne-debug-27.apk?dl=0

Cheers,

Peter

Oct 26, 2017, 6:37:19 PM10/26/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter,

I am happy to help, since I am addicted to the kanji flash cards.  It's best for everyone, really.

I have installed android studio.  Logcat is in the lower LEFT in my version.  I have opened it up, but am unsure what to do to capture or view logs related to mnemosyne.

1.  I have attached a video showing the problem I am having.

2.  I have attached a screenshot showing my Android Studio, but I am unsure what to do next.

3.  How can I install the version you refer to in your most recent message to me?  I have been installing using Play Store. If installing the version  you ref is straightforward, I'll do that and test.

4.  What steps do I take with Android Studio to get the log files?

-- update: I could not upload the files.  If you send me an email address (mine: jux.x...@gmail.com)  (except the x's are d and t) I'll put them on my Google Drive.

Thanks,

Jud

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 3:02:35 AM UTC-4, Peter Bienstman wrote:

Hi,

On the bottom right in Android Studio, there’s a window Android Monitor with a tab logcat. Make sure it’s set to verbose. Run Mnemosyne, and mail me privately what gets printed into that log.

Please also use this version, perhaps the problem is even already solved there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tq0phm8rjl8m7er/Mnemosyne-debug-27.apk?dl=0

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Bienstman

Oct 27, 2017, 3:49:46 AM10/27/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Make sure to install the version I mentioned first, it’s possible the issue is already solved there. Download it on your device, and open it with a file browser. You will need to update the Android system settings on your phone first to allow to install software from untrusted sources.

George

Oct 27, 2017, 9:26:12 AM10/27/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Whatever you did, it worked.  I have not taken any action since yesterday, but Mnem started up and initialized (twice).

Looks good.

I am curious as to what you did.

Thank you very much!

Jud

Peter Bienstman

Oct 27, 2017, 9:39:15 AM10/27/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi.

The version which is now google play temporarily reverts the changes to the version before that.

I’d still be interested to see your results for the debug file I mentioned, as these changes I reverted are needed to run stably on other devices, so I’d like to end up in a situation where I can keep those and not break other devices J

Cheers,

Peter

Whatever you did, it worked.  I have not taken any action since yesterday, but Mnem started up and initialized (twice).