Restoring Backup on Device

Magic Friday

Apr 29, 2022, 1:56:01 AM4/29/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

I just did a sync on my local device (laptop), and it said there was a conflict (why??). Then my phone (remote device) asked me if I wanted to keep the local or the remote version (I always work on the remote device) and I chose the local version because I did some changes which I wanted to keep (if I had chosen the remote version, these changes would not have taken effect).

Unfortunately now my remote device indicates that I have to do all more than 10,000 vocabularies again. I urgently need to restore the version before backup today.

I'm really not much into IT...

Peter Bienstman

Apr 29, 2022, 2:58:00 AM4/29/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

Sync conflicts happen if you e.g. edit a card on one machine and review it on another device.

The procedure for recovering from a backup is here: https://mnemosyne-proj.org/help/backups.php

Note that "local" and "remote" always refer to the point of view of the device where you start the sync. If you start the sync on the phone, the phone is local, but if you start it on your laptop, the laptop is local.

Good luck!

Peter

Magic Friday

Apr 29, 2022, 3:23:25 AM4/29/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi!

Thank you for your answer!
So there will always be a conflict when syncing as I always edit the cards on my laptop and review them on the phone (editing on the phone is not possible anyways).
I do not manage to restore today's prior to backup version. When I click on the file (showing today's date with time), nothing happens, no error, just nothing. I guess this is because it just restores the state which was on the laptop before backup, but this state is identical to how it is now. But I need the state of the phone before backup. Can I also carry out a backup on the phone?

Peter Bienstman

Apr 29, 2022, 3:29:16 AM4/29/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

It's best to always sync on all your devices before you start a reviewing session.

If you want to get back to a backup on your phone, that's a lot more involved since Google imposed stronger limitations on sharing data between apps. Choose 'export data' on your phone, which will generate a zip file of everything. Transfer it to your pc, and put the files in the backup folder of the zipfile in the backup folder on your computer. Then, open the new backups as before.

Peter

Magic Friday

Apr 30, 2022, 12:52:43 AM4/30/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,
I'll try to describe my issue.
Right now I got around 11,000 vocabularies in 5 different languages in my Mnemosyne database. I go through all these vocabularies every day. Of course the Mnemosyne's AI based system asks me only few of these vocabularies every day based on my choice of 1, 2, 3, 4 resp. 5.
To keep it easy let's just say I'm asked about 80 words per language per day. I always use my phone for this. As long as I don't enlarge my database, there will be no issue. But as soon as I add new words (which can be done on the laptop only) to one or several languages, of course I have to do a syncing to get the new words to my phone. And that's where the problems occur. I do the syncing from my phone which then is the local version as I learned yesterday. The program then asks me if I want to keep the local or the remote version. Of course I have to choose the remote version (laptop) since I want to get the new words to my phone. But in that case, not only the new words, but also the "word testing condition" (I hope you understand what I mean, I'm not an English native) of the laptop is transmitted to my phone, but that condition is actually wrong since I never do my vocabulary on the laptop. That's why every time after syncing, I have to do all 11,000 words on my phone again.

How can I avoid that? How can I get the lately created words from the laptop but still keep the word testing state from the phone?

I hope I could explan my issue in an understandable manner.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Peter Bienstman

Apr 30, 2022, 3:35:37 AM4/30/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi,

As I mentioned below, it's best to sync more often (also for backup purposes!). Before adding new cards on your laptop, do a sync between the two devices. Then, after adding cards on your laptop, i.e. before you start using them on your phone, sync again.

Cheers,

Peter