Delete database on phone

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 16, 2022, 4:40:39 PM6/16/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi everybody,

When trying to sync I get the error on my phone that I have synced from several sources and that I need to export and delete my database. The database on my server is correct. I would just need to delete all database information from my phone to have a clear mnemosyne database again on the phone and then sync again against the server. However, I do not know how I can clear the database on the phone. Un- and reinstalling also does not help. Do you have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Christoph

Peter Bienstman

Jun 16, 2022, 4:45:58 PM6/16/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Recent versions of Mnemosyne and Android delete the data on uninstalling. Otherwise, look for a folder like android/data/org.mnemosyne on your phone and delete it. The exact location depends on your phone, so I can't be more specific...

Peter

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 16, 2022, 6:06:02 PM6/16/22
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for a quick reply.

I deleted that folder but after reinstalling Mnemosyne on the phone, the corrupt database was still there. Do you have any other ideas?

Peter Bienstman

Jun 17, 2022, 12:26:04 AM6/17/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Exit Mnemosyne by pressing the back button or by killing it from the recent apps carousel. Then delete the folder. If you start Mnemosyne again, it should give you the first-run welcome prompts. If that is not what happens, you have deleted the wrong folder...

Peter

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 17, 2022, 3:49:03 AM6/17/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter,

Thanks again for your quick reply! And also thanks for Mnemosyne in general. It is a great tool and I use it every day!

At my phone, there was a folder /Android/data/org.mnemosyne which contained only a subfolder 'files' which in term was empty. I deleted that folder and, while my phone was connected to my Linux computer, made a search for "Mne" in nautilus to make sure that I didn't miss a folder but did not find any other folder.

Do you know any other location where data from Mnemosyne could be stored?

Peter Bienstman

Jun 17, 2022, 7:29:05 AM6/17/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Perhaps also look under /sdcard or a different directory?

If you can't find it, I can prepare a special version that will show the directory Mnemosyne uses.

Peter

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 18, 2022, 5:07:29 AM6/18/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter,

I do not use an SDCard in my phone and I do not have this directory. If you could create such a version that would be great!

Have a nice weekend!

Peter Bienstman

Jun 18, 2022, 5:13:54 AM6/18/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Workaround that does not require a new version on my side: choose "Export data" on Android. In the resulting zip file, replace default.db with the default.db from your laptop. Then, reimport that zipfile.

Peter

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 18, 2022, 5:48:29 AM6/18/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your suggestion, with your workaround, I could get the db from my laptop to my phone (so laptop and phone both had the same vocabulary counts). However, when I try to sync now, I get again an error on my phone: "Sync cycle detected. Please always sync with the same server." Should I also exchange other data?

Peter Bienstman

Jun 18, 2022, 6:08:37 AM6/18/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Silly me... Please use the empty default.db from here instead of your server db: https://www.dropbox.com/s/518ea3ijs8wxmya/default.db?dl=0

Peter

Christoph Gordalla

Jun 18, 2022, 8:24:38 AM6/18/22
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot for your help, Peter!